Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking

Options
  • 05-10-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

just spent an hour tryin to get a parking space n missed my first class joke ! went down to students union about it he needs more people down to compalin so if ur affected go down to them cuz thats what they are there for. the parking is a complete joke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I agree totally. I can't drive myself but there just seems to be cars everywhere in the morning. It's getting to the stage where students don't really care about where they park as long as they have somwhere.

The only thing I could recommend is maybe parking in the town and getting a bus up to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yep i've one class from 1 - 3 on a wednesday and i have to come in for 9 in the morning to get a space, not much the students union can do, theres just simply not enough spaces for the amount of cars, having the fas courses on while the main college is open is a joke they should do them in the summer or something because every apprentice drives into the college in there own car

It's ridiculous. It also leads to a lot more traffic just outside the college. Even if I pop over to Texaco it's so difficult to get back over to the other side of the road. If people live close by then just get the bus to the campus. There's no shortage of them.

And for further incentive I'll even bring people on for free with my travel pass. Problem solved. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

yea having the fas courses on is a completejoke atleastsome ofthe nurses r away on placement next week! but they shouldnt expect us to pay for parking when we can neverget a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well obviously things have talken a turn for the better (from our point of view).

Someone, somewhere must be fighting against it and making progress.

I think we should all get stickers... those that have to travel x distance get free parking.

And those within x distance have to pay. All others have to pay.

It's the fairest system.. if you have to travel like 1hr +, you more than likely can't get a bus/reasonable times, that's my case anyway. (about 2 hour round trip).

Oh, and why don't those motorbikes get clamped that sit on the footpath outside the staff carpark everyday :confused:

Ok, they're not in the way really, but then again there are plenty of cars that get clamped that aren't really in the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

at least d pay parking gone for the forseeable future wohoo oh and 1 more question why do the staff not have to :confused: pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

No, they don't. Kind of stupid. Yeah ok they are paid to educate us etc but if you think about it, without us attending the college they'd have no job. It can go either way really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Ok so let me get this right, all the trade students are FAS apprentices? If thats the case then they should not have priority over DkIT students. The apprentices should have to park in Horseware.
    One thing I did notice, at the bus stop in Hoeys lane I have seen cars parked with staff stickers but they haven't been towed. Do the cops only lift student cars or would they tow a staff car if it was parked on Hoeys lane?
    This is all very biased, I would imagine the staff are on good wages and a lot of the students are on very limited incomes so its not really fair to ask students to pay for parking.

Agreed. I thought I heard someone say that they're on 40 euro an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Splat75

Think about the motorbike thing for a second, imagine if the people on motorbikes parked in a designated space. Apparently the policy is "all vehicles must park in a designated space", if the bikes took a space up there'd be uproar. As for the FAS courses, agreed, they all seem to have a car each, they are here for about 12 weeks at a time, and there are three or four lots of them a year. The reason they get seem to be able to get spaces is because a lot of them have classes from 9-5 every day

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote:
    Agreed. I thought I heard someone say that they're on 40 euro an hour.

It wouldn't bloody surprise me.

Ridiculous really. And they don't have to pay for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HAHAHAHAHA what?

there not on 40euro an hour, there on whatever the minimum wage is for there phase of the apprenticeship, its between €10 - €18 if i remember correctly, they do however get expenses paid for too so depending on how far they travel they can get around an extra €70 on top of that for the week, still a ridicolous wage for what they do

I was talking about the lecturers.

That_Guy wrote:
    I was talking about the lecturers.

ah right i see, that makes more sense alright, my mistake, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Has anyone noticed that the students have in fact LOST a car park? The car park on the right when entering the main, is now Staff Only.

I don't remember hearing consultation about this? Surely decisions like this cant just be made without consultation? The management is an absolute JOKE; I am ashamed to be part of a college where the management is this bad.

Matt

Mutiny anyone?

Go for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

International talk-like-a-pirate Day is over, y'know ;)

• Advertisement

It'll never be over. Yarr!!!

*swashbuckles way to management offices*

i never realised that car park was available to students??

very annoying, i've one class on a wednesday from 1 -3 and its dodgy goin in at 1 to try and find a place

The car park on the right on the way in was always for student use; it just filled up extremely quickly. The big one on the left was always Staff Only. Now both are. We've been robbed.

Matt

anyone want to start an online petition or shall we all send strongly worded emails to the SU?

Something NEEDS to be done about it. Did you notice the huge queues of cars trying to LEAVE the college around 9 this morning? Massive queues of people who couldn't get parked. It's mad.

Matt

draffodx wrote:
    anyone want to start an online petition or shall we all send strongly worded emails to the SU?

I doubt that will do any good, they don't seem to be much cop.

annex wrote: »
    I doubt that will do any good, they don't seem to be much cop.

gives us a basis to ask them to be replaced if they dont do anything

draffodx wrote: »
    gives us a basis to ask them to be replaced if they dont do anything

Very valid point.
    Have they actually done anything to support the students? In fact, what actually does the union do? (The only time I have seen them is when they were flogging those grey hoodies)
    I say petition the buggers, get the local press involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Today was the worst day I've had in terms of trying to find parking. I was in college just before 8.45 and there were no spaces at all... ended up having to park in Rockfield and was inevitably late for my first class. This situation is just ridiculous - I can't believe they've assigned more places for staff (the small car park on the right on the Dublin Road entrance) - it has essentially taken more spaces away from the student body... way more students than there are staff.

I would complain, but I don't have time. Course is over 30 hours a week :|

• Advertisement

If the union had balls they would do something about it.

Advertisement