Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording to PC - Crackling Noise

Options
  • 05-10-2007 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I’ve set up a peavey mixer to power a good condenser mic that I will use to record vocals on PC. I’m getting a low crackling noise while recording and can’t seem to solve it. The sound card is fairly decent , but no matter what I do I can’t reduce the crackling. (I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2)

Any ideas??

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The problem could be anything really. Firstly I'd hook a pair of speakers/headphones up to the same outputs from the mixer that are going into the soundcard and see if you can hear the problem there.

If not the problem must be something to do with your soundcard or computer. What make/model soundcard are you using? If it comes with ASIO drivers, use them. If not, download ASIO4ALL drivers and try them. If you can access the latency setting or buffer size setting for the drivers, try increasing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Saccadianjay

Bad buzz (excuss the pun!)

What lead are you using to connect your desk to your sound card? I had this problem a few years back and i found that it was down to the equipment being to close to the computer and also a dodgy 3/4 inch jack lead.
    Nightmare! Is there SPDIF connections available on your soundcard and desk. If so use em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭deathronan

Is it a laptop or PC your using, if its a laptop i might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

1) Check the mic
    2) Check the mic lead
    3) If you're powering a valve condensor with an external power supply check that lead
    4) Check the mixer channel - use a different phantom powered channel
    5) Check the Gain staging (at the mixer pre and sound-card pre)
    6) Check the computer output leads - speakers/headphones

If all this checks out, preferably via a different signal path, then you will probably have to look at the computer side of things. If it's a buzzing, you could re-install the soundcard, defrag your HD, run a spyware check and disable anti-virus, re-install the sequencer, enable 24bit asio as your driver, increase the latency buffer, disable internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 joemeighan

hi there. if you use nero 6 which comes complete with hardwear, (input for any sound systems ie, record players/tapes/cd/dvds/). So set up the program on your pc, connect your hardwear, us a mixer with mic input and you can set up recording levels on your program on the plus side you can pre record your vocals/music and then put into your pc. that what i use and works all the time:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement