Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland may launch Wi-Fi service

Options
  • 05-10-2007 11:44am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per enn.ie - http://enn.ie/article/135413.html
    The paper also reports that BT Ireland is looking at launching a community Wi-Fi service in the Republic after launching a comparable offering in the UK, as reported on ENN. A spokeswoman for BT Ireland said the company is "looking at opportunities to launch this into the Republic of Ireland". A spokesman for Fon said it "would be very interested in doing something similar in Ireland and have been in discussion with Irish broadband providers."

For those that don't know, BT in the Uk launched BT/FON yesterday which allows BT (UK) Broadband subscribers to turn there routers into FON access points and in turn use any FON access point around the world for free.

Its also worth noting that boards.ie did a FON.com deal where boards.ie subscribers got a free FON router, I got one for myself and one for a friend and I'm happy with the service :)

More info can be seen at:
    www.fon.com
    www.btfon.com

Would be nice of BT Ireland did the same imho :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It would also be a good idea in the sense that you are not at all legally liable for any sh1tehawking on the 'community' partition of your router .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also its worth noting that in the UK the downloads on your FON router don't count towards your BT Broadband cap which is good :)

Sadly its against most ISP's T&C's to share out your connection using FON and similar setups, of course most don't enforce this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Somehow I do not see this happening...

E.

Advertisement