Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have experience cycling fishtanks?

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey was just wondering how people on here cycle their tanks. with or without fish? I've read alot about it and found fishless cycling with ammonia to be the best method only i can't get my hands on pure ammonia anywhere. So think i'll have to use a couple of danio's..

Thoughts?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Hey - I tried a product called safestart which is essentially a 'bacteria in a bottle' solution which didnt work out for me at all.

I have found the best way to cycle tanks is to simply use mature filter media in the filter. I have 3 tanks and 2 were started this way with fish added the same day without a problem.
    Your LFS should be able to give you some media from their filters or if you have existing tanks just remove some of the media from those - preferably some of the water too & put them in your new filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

thanks i have filter media (sponge) form my old tank but it has since dried up as its not in use.. is this no good? I just filled tank up yesterday, if i want to cycle with fish how long before i can add? I have read 14 days and also 72 hours?
    thanks

Yeah the old filter sponge is no use, it would need to come from an established tank as the bacteria need to be alive in order to convert the nitrites from the fish waste.

These would be long gone from a dried up sponge.

Not sure re: cycling with fish, I believe its generally frowned upon these days as you are exposing the fish to damaging levels of toxins in an uncycled tank.

If I were you I would ask the shop where you intend on buying the danios for some media from their filter system. It is something people do so they shouldnt have a problem with it.
    Then stick that into your filter & add a couple of danios.
    Once you keep an eye on the water parameters with a test kit over the next while you will be able to tell whether the tank has cycled or not.

The ITFS forum is a great place for info & they're a friendly bunch: http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Hope that helps

cool thanks what about gravel from my old tank? thats still wet? it's there with a month but has been left soaking in the tank water

If i put that in will it help?

Flynn wrote:
    cool thanks what about gravel from my old tank? thats still wet? it's there with a month but has been left soaking in the tank water

If i put that in will it help?

Nope - afraid not...
    In fact, if you're going to re-use it I would thoroughly clean it if its been sitting in dirty water for a month.

The bacteria need a constant source of food and oxygen to survive.

Oxygen is generally gotten from the flow of water through the filter & food is the fish waste & uneaten food that is pulled into the filter etc..
    If they arent getting either then they won't survive.

Out of interest - what size is the tank & what fish are you planning to keep?
    I keep African cichlids in a 200 litre & have small tetras and the like in two nano tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Flynn wrote:
    Hey was just wondering how people on here cycle their tanks. with or without fish? I've read alot about it and found fishless cycling with ammonia to be the best method only i can't get my hands on pure ammonia anywhere. So think i'll have to use a couple of danio's..

Thoughts?

Just use flake fish food as a source of ammonia, its called fishless cycling, decaying food creates some ammonia.

2Poc wrote:

Out of interest - what size is the tank & what fish are you planning to keep?
    I keep African cichlids in a 200 litre & have small tetras and the like in two nano tanks.

50 litre Biorb...
    fish%20009.jpg

I just bought 3 danio's as they are sposed to be one of the hardiest.. i know it's lowsy on the fish but hopefully they'll make it thru i'll be keep close eye on them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rippleman

Since you are going to cycle the small bowl (50L IS small) with live fish I recommend that you do a partial water change EVERY day with conditioned water for the first 6 weeks.

Even though the Danios may be 'hardy' fish they will still be extremely stressed by ammonia and nitrite spikes. These fish have travelled thousands of miles to reach your bowl and already experienced dramatic changes in the water they have been used to. Their immune systems are compromised which will allow all sorts of pathogens and bacteria to multiply unchecked.

The Danios will probably survive unscathed but when you add new fish in 6 to 8 weeks time the ‘nasties’ already present in the miniature ecosystem may be too much for the new arrivals to handle. One fish would have been sufficient to add to start the nitrogen cycle.

There is a product called “Poly Bio Marine” filter pad that will help greatly in keeping the killer elements of cycling the tank in check. It is expensive and not available in all pet shops in Dublin but well worth tracking down to use for the maturation period. It will directly remove some of the Ammonia leaving enough for the nitrogen cycle to establish and will also remove excess organic matter and keep phosphate levels in check so you do not get such a bad algae bloom in the initial stages. If you have difficulty getting one contact me & I may be able to help.

Keep feeding to an absolute minimum & do not forget the water changes… EVERY day.

Good luck with your new ‘wet-pet’ home:)

Advertisement