Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Roscahill, Co. Galway

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there

My wife and I are considering a move to Roscahill or Oughterard.

Can someone please tell me if Broadband is avaliable there and if so, what options are available e.g. wireless, fixed line, mobile etc?

Also, anyone know if boradband is available on the road to the right of Keaveney's pub in Roscahill (near the woods I think)?

Thank you all very much indeed.

Declan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Roscahill is on a list to get DSL in the next 2 years or so. Oughterard has DSL for a long time .

I would remind you that a lot of the area you refer to in Roscahill is in dense woodland in almost all directions and is therefore difficult for wireless.

Never heard of any wireless operators out there, or in Oughterard bar Irishwan . Thats fairly risky if you rely on BB for your work.

http://www.irishwan.ie/forum/index.php?topic=697.msg4330;topicseen

In short the only certaintly today is in Oughterard town and a small bit out.

You probably would have more (wireless) options high up in the hills but its a long long walk home from the only pub in Roscahill

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is a Group Broadband Scheme up and running in Rosscahill, that we are providing backhaul for. PM me for details.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 devanedm

Thanks

I was speaking with Keith from the Roscahill community scheme and he was a fountain of information, thanks Keith.

The community scheme really is a vivid example of what people can do to meet local needs, well done to the team.

Martin, as we are thinking of buying a house, and because I am dependent on BB, can you, or anyone else, tell me if anyone at the very end of the road to the right at Keaveney's pub has got connected? I can't take the chance of considering to buy without certainlty of BB. That is how dependent we have become on the technology.

Thanks again

It you do need it you should move to Moycullen or Oughterard where working BB does exist and make installed and working broadband a condition of purchase in the contract with an undertaking from you to discharge the 6month or 12 month contract in full.

You may find it possible to do the same in Roscahill too but you should make it a condition of purchase.

Its a buyers market for houses , use your leverage.

If you buy and cannot get BB thereafter its entirely your own fault and I have no sympathy for you .

devanedm wrote:
    Thanks

Martin, as we are thinking of buying a house, and because I am dependent on BB, can you, or anyone else, tell me if anyone at the very end of the road to the right at Keaveney's pub has got connected? I can't take the chance of considering to buy without certainlty of BB. That is how dependent we have become on the technology.

I'm mostly dealing with David, but according to him, as long as you're not in the woods or right behind the pub, but along the road, you won't have any issues whatsoever. There are two basestations that will cover you, one at the belltower of the church and the other one in the hills above Doon West.

Taken that you can see Doon West and are looking for a business connect with fixed IP, we'll also be able to connect you directly.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire - http://www.airwire.ie/

• Advertisement

Roscahill now has DSL,the mere threat of Wireless works wonders in eircom :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe you're on to something .... we can get Mary Fitzgerald to dig out her woolly jumper , come down to the next area thats stuck for DSL and show them how to make antennas from cornflake boxes so they can pretend they have wireless broadband.Sorted

Question is just, why would you want overcontended DSL from Eircom, that comes on top of that rate adaptive and with a cap ?

Another issue is, that enabling the Rosscahill exchange helps very few. Most lines around Rosscahill are multiplexed and a good few of them are onthe Moycullen exchange. So if they were in range, they could have got broadband long ago. But they are too far away.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

devanedm wrote: »
    Thanks

I was speaking with Keith from the Roscahill community scheme and he was a fountain of information, thanks Keith.

The community scheme really is a vivid example of what people can do to meet local needs, well done to the team.

Thanks again

Your best bet is to do a site survey, hop on a cherry picker on the site you wish to build/buy your house, do a few tests wtih the different WISP's and then make a dission. if this connection is for business needs then i'm sure the cost can be covered.

Your best bet is to do a site survey, hop on a cherry picker on the site you wish to build/buy your house, do a few tests wtih the different WISP's and then make a dission. if this connection is for business needs then i'm sure the cost can be covered.

Most WISPs will know if they have a chance of covering or not. Given commitment to sign up, they will arrange for site survey etc. Often they can give you landmarks, that you can look for, so that you can determine yourself, how likely you can get a connection.

And if the WISP is decent, no cost is involved with a site survey. Only the commitment.

/Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

The Site survey that i had in mind would be where you would know for sure who, where and what options the customer has, giving no excuse for LOS issues etc.. this may seem a bit over the top, but when Broadband becomes the major deciding factor you need to know for sure! and with €250k at stake i feels it's work his effort to research his options.

Advertisement