Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Problems

Options
  • 05-10-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hopefully somebody can help me out with this ... I have a Windows network with about a dozen PCS and a Windows 2003 server. Hosting 365 is used for mail , and i use the POP3 connection manager to download mail to each users exchange mailbox. However , I have a few non user email accounts , including one which is for an off site user. Problem is that none of the users can mail that address , it just keeps bouncing back.

My server Mail server is also my DNS server and I dont seem to have any other issues other than the one described above ... how can I get around this or better still fix it ....

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

555guy wrote:
    Hopefully somebody can help me out with this ... I have a Windows network with about a dozen PCS and a Windows 2003 server. Hosting 365 is used for mail , and i use the POP3 connection manager to download mail to each users exchange mailbox. However , I have a few non user email accounts , including one which is for an off site user. Problem is that none of the users can mail that address , it just keeps bouncing back.

My server Mail server is also my DNS server and I dont seem to have any other issues other than the one described above ... how can I get around this or better still fix it ....

But what's the error given as the reason for the bounce?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

What do you mean by a non user ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Presumably non-domain.

OP, what's the MTA? Exchange? I'd say it's confused because it doesn't see the offsite users in AD, and doesn't know that it should fire mails to these accounts out to the H365 server (I doubt it would do an MX lookup for domains it's responsible for). Maybe you could set up the offsite users on the domain to get the MTA to accept mails for them, then redirect their mails to the H365 server.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

Hi, sorry if my original post didnt explain thing well enough...What i meant by non users is this:

Users setup on my domain : JohnDoe@mycompany.com , janeDoe@mycompany.dom .... there mail is collected from H365 via the POP3 connector and then placed in their exchange mailboxes..... no problem there.

I then have a few "non-user" accounts such as info@mycompany.com and siteoffice@mycompany.com. Again these are mailboxes setup with H365, but instead of these mailboxes being collected by the POP3 connector, individual people (the person doing so can vary) connects on an external computer via a webpage and reads these emails.

Up until recently this has never been a problem as users generally didn't have a need to email to the non user accounts .. that is until an email address was needed for a temporary off-site office.

The reply that comes back is something along the lines of user not found, so the exchange server obviously searches but does not find the user set=up on the domain ... what I want to do is to then force the search to H365 to resolve the address ....

Hopefully this makes sense and is something that can be achieved.

Advertisement