Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It'd Drive You To Drink

• 05-10-2007 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭

Two things that would drive me to drink are the price of drink and the standard of Irish Rugby. On a more serious note though I was out last night and ordered a Vodka, the barman asked me did I want the orange (Mi-Wadi) I said I did, handed him €10 got €4.70 back. I watched him put it in the till and it was €4.30 for the Vodka and €1 :eek: for the dash of orange. Imo thats absolute arse rape considering a bottle of Mi-Wadi in the shops is €1.30 ish and the club woulda been getting it a helluva lot cheaper than that from the supplier. It'd sicken some part of your anatomy the blatant profiteering in this land. Now where did I put Eddie Hobbs number....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

cson wrote:
    Two things that would drive me to drink are the price of drink and the standard of Irish Rugby. On a more serious note though I was out last night and ordered a Vodka, the barman asked me did I want the orange (Mi-Wadi) I said I did, handed him €10 got €4.70 back. I watched him put it in the till and it was €4.30 for the Vodka and €1 :eek: for the dash of orange. Imo thats absolute arse rape considering a bottle of Mi-Wadi in the shops is €1.30 ish and the club woulda been getting it a helluva lot cheaper than that from the supplier. It'd sicken some part of your anatomy the blatant profiteering in this land. Now where did I put Eddie Hobbs number....

It is a rip-off but its nothing to what some Dublin scumholes are charging.Someplaces you'd be lucky to get change out of atenner at all for those drinks.Fcuck em,i say.Drink at home and put these rapists out of business.Oh yeah,and complain to the consumer association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Yep, he's turning over about €120 on a bottle of vodka and about maybe €30 for a bottle of Mi-Wadi.

Publicans have it tough alright. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

It was the mi-wadi that annoyed me the most, fooking arse banditry to charge €1 for a dash of it. Dirty rotten robbing publicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

cson wrote:
    It was the mi-wadi that annoyed me the most, fooking arse banditry to charge €1 for a dash of it. Dirty rotten robbing publicans.

It's not your wadi it's my wadi !

all right all right I'm going back to the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Yeah, its sick alright, but whats worse is there are fecking eejits who are willing to pay these stupid prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

like the OP... :p

Ishmael wrote:
    Yeah, its sick alright, but whats worse is there are fecking eejits who are willing to pay these stupid prices.

Clowns..certain places should have a feckin picket placed outside them.I was in a certain city-centre meatmarket(read full of tossers),and had been(reluctantly) paying 5.20 a pint up to 11 o'clock.When i went up i was told that the price had risen sharply to 5.70 coz it was "after 11".When i asked the bar manager how they could justify this he said,"we've got great food and music here!".."Okay,lets see a menu" says i,"oh no,we stop serving food at 8!" he says.For the record, the music that was so frigging great was fcuking Band Aid or Kylie or something,tell the truth i was too pissed off to notice.Check this site for a comparison league table of pub prices(in Dublin)
    www.dublinpubscene.com

Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If it makes you feel any better, I got a litre of vodka and coke last week for €4 and it was strong as fúck too! A beer in my local costs €1.50 aswell! :p

Now, back to your rant! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

You should complain to your local TD.

Or not go back to that pub again.

€3.40 for a pint in my old local down de country. Nearly had a heart attack when I got change back from a fiver at the weekend :eek:

An Citeog wrote:
    If it makes you feel any better, I got a litre of vodka and coke last week for €4 and it was strong as fúck too! A beer in my local costs €1.50 aswell! :p

Now, back to your rant! ;)

Quiet Manuel..take these cases to room number seven!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

cson wrote:

I have seen pubs charge as much as €2 for a dash. A friend of mine worked in a bar during college and he said the pub got mi wadi for free. When a driver was dropping off a drink delivery he'd always toss 2 cases in for free (1 orange, 1 blackcurrant)

Was just having a conversation in work this morning on why pub prices were so expensive but in the 10 years or so I've been drinking off licence drink has never been cheaper.

connundrum wrote:

Or not go back to that pub again.

€3.40 for a pint in my old local down de country. Nearly had a heart attack when I got change back from a fiver at the weekend :eek:

Not going back to the pub again isnt enough.This stuff should be regulated by a consumer watchdog with heavy fines or loss of licence to greedy bastards who flout the law.Several years ago,Bertie Aheren imposed a price-freeze on the cost of drink in Dublin.During that time,a pub not far from where he lives put 25 pence onto t he price of a pint to pay for the alterations to the pub and NOTHING happened to them.Has anybody else noticed the number of pubs being sold and shut down to make way for apartments.Greed,pure f*cking greed.

I have seen pubs charge as much as €2 for a dash. A friend of mine worked in a bar during college and he said the pub got mi wadi for free. When a driver was dropping off a drink delivery he'd always toss 2 cases in for free (1 orange, 1 blackcurrant)

Was just having a conversation in work this morning on why pub prices were so expensive but in the 10 years or so I've been drinking off licence drink has never been cheaper.

Its also well-kown that publicans get X-number of free kegs from the breweries.For example,if Peadair McScabbyhole orders 20 kegs of Heino to sell at 5.50 a pint,he gets at least another 5 kegs for nothing as a sweetener.One in five(or perhaps more)pints is costing the publican exactly NOTHING!!

connundrum wrote:

I know the feeling. Whenever i go home I'm always a bit shocked when i buy my first pint!!

Degsy wrote:
    Not going back to the pub again isnt enough.This stuff should be regulated by a consumer watchdog with heavy fines or loss of licence to greedy bastards who flout the law.Several years ago,Bertie Aheren imposed a price-freeze on the cost of drink in Dublin.During that time,a pub not far from where he lives put 25 pence onto t he price of a pint to pay for the alterations to the pub and NOTHING happened to them.Has anybody else noticed the number of pubs being sold and shut down to make way for apartments.Greed,pure f*cking greed.

Agree with you but 'The Publican Party' are hardly gonna shake up the drinks industry. Look at their reaction to McDowells cafe bar proposals. Until we actually get proper competition and regulators who actually have a pair of balls (not just in the drinks industry but in most industries) this behaviour will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

About five years ago I was sitting at the bar in McDaids (off Grafton St) watching a match.
    A guy came up and ordered a pint, with a dash of blackcurrant. Barman served him, told him how much it was. Guy complained he'd been drinking there for a couple of hours and this was much dearer than his previous pints. Barman explained the extra 80p was for the dash (about 4 drops) of blackcurrant.

I didn't know the guy who was being ripped off, but I haven't drunk in McDaid's since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i just rarely drink in pubs/clubs now. do my boozing at home or in a friends place where you are guaranteed: cheap booze, a seat, good company, good music, no Qs for the bathroom, no bathroom 'attendants', drinks just how you like them, no waiting for 20 minutes to be served at the bar, no rude and ignorant door/bar staff, no cover charges, no dress codes, no watered down booze, no last orders etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

depends on the establishment and it depends on the day...some places 11pm, some places 3.30am...in a house its whenever you keel over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

And if you could get a certain minister involved he might offer the landlord out if negotiations failed. :D

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Think thats bad...I [accidentally] once charged a table €100 for drinks....my god the outbreak which took place!!!

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote:
    Think thats bad...I [accidentally] once charged a table €100 for drinks....my god the outbreak which took place!!!

And if they'd ((accidentally) paid up you'd have taken the money and said nothing.I sincerely hope they fired your ass!

Degsy wrote:
    And if they'd ((accidentally) paid up you'd have taken the money and said nothing.I sincerely hope they fired your ass!

Eh no actually it was genuinely an accident and the money went straight to the till....manager n all was called....table of drunk idiots (all women) and me and the manager....good times! They'd never fire me...I'm the assett to their success...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

€4.30 for a pint in my local or 8 cans for €14.18. I know where I'm drinking.
    I can smoke at home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

cson wrote:
    you should do what i do....have a few cans before you head out and bring your own vodka in with you, then just pay the €3 or so for a lucazade...it makes for a nice cheap night! you have to fight back!!

mac123 wrote:
    you should do what i do....have a few cans before you head out and bring your own vodka in with you, then just pay the €3 or so for a lucazade...it makes for a nice cheap night! you have to fight back!!

Or you could just ask them for a dash of blackcurrant in a glass. Might be a bit obvious though! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Aye a naggin in the sock makes for a cheap night out:p

(or in the handbag if you're female)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Just get plastered at home on the wine/6 packs, then head into town..

Its fun, kinda like a video game..

Sean_K wrote:
    Aye a naggin in the sock makes for a cheap night out:p

(or in the handbag if you're female)

Hip-flask ftw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Terry wrote:
    €4.30 for a pint in my local or 8 cans for €14.18. I know where I'm drinking.
    I can smoke at home too.

Jaysus:eek:

Go down to Aldi and youl'l get 12 cans of Oettinger for that.

You were ripped off.

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Just rob the mi-wadi and stash it in some corner of the nightclub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Jaysus:eek:

You were ripped off.

Aldi/Lidl are the only places in this crappy country where some level of sanity reigns!

Degsy wrote:
    Its also well-kown that publicans get X-number of free kegs from the breweries.For example,if Peadair McScabbyhole orders 20 kegs of Heino to sell at 5.50 a pint,he gets at least another 5 kegs for nothing as a sweetener.One in five(or perhaps more)pints is costing the publican exactly NOTHING!!
    Thats pure bull****.You only get free kegs if you are ordering a lot of kegs ie over 50 a week.There is no way that Diageo is giving every fifth keg free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

ferdi wrote:
    no rude and ignorant door/bar staff, no cover charges, no dress codes, no watered down booze, no last orders etc etc

no random sluts to score ;-D When I was in college we always went out with, could have a great night out for around €15, nagan of vodka+redbull before going into pub/club, go somewhere free like twentyone before 11pm or barcode- get maybe 1 pint in the place, nitelink home €4. Great. You don't have to get ripped off, there are alternative ways of doing these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Cheeky_gal wrote:
    Eh no actually it was genuinely an accident and the money went straight to the till....manager n all was called....table of drunk idiots (all women) and me and the manager....good times! They'd never fire me...I'm the assett to their success...;)

Nice ass?

Nice ass?

SEXUAL! :p
    Thats pure bull****.You only get free kegs if you are ordering a lot of kegs ie over 50 a week.There is no way that Diageo is giving every fifth keg free.

Or you cud just work for Diageo n get the lot for free....aaah part time work is savage.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Don't go to these rip off places then! It's people that keep buying their drinks and putting up with it that cause these rip offs to happen.

Bottle of Vodka & 7up in the handbag=cheap night out! I don't care what anyone thinks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

these places are making a fortune and dont let any IVF reps tell you any different.
    The problem is, its the small rural pubs that are facing closure, these are the places that are charging you €1 less per drink or more, and don't charge for dashes.

A local club i used to work for made enough money at the door to cover all expenses, staff, bills and the bank loan to build the place. the profit they made on drink went into the owners hand, and they still charged 20c-30c more per drink than anywhere else.

Irish people loved to get ripped off, they complain the next day about how much it costs them but they'll be back again next week to bent over and take in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

big b wrote:
    Yep, he's turning over about €120 on a bottle of vodka and about maybe €30 for a bottle of Mi-Wadi.
    The money made is crazy at times. We buy a bottle for about $20 and sell it for $247.
    Go through about 24 bottles of our house vodka a week.
    Although, no bar in this country charges for a mixer of any kind unlike Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cheeky_gal wrote:
    SEXUAL! :p

Or you cud just work for Diageo n get the lot for free....aaah part time work is savage.... ;)
    Feel free to take advantage of the keyboard in front of you and the generous 10,000 character limit.

You were ripped off.
    Meh. I like Budweiser.

Cue the barrage of posts about how bud is piss.
    I don't care. I like the taste of it. I'm not going to drink something I don't like just to please some beer snobs.

Also, I'm hungover so don't piss me off today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Terry wrote:

Thats because you were drinking bud....

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    Feel free to take advantage of the keyboard in front of you and the generous 10,000 character limit.

Meh. I like Budweiser.

Cue the barrage of posts about how bud is piss.
    I don't care. I like the taste of it. I'm not going to drink something I don't like just to please some beer snobs.

Ok than...it looks like piss than.

Terry wrote:

You've lost me Terry! :confused:

Cheeky_gal wrote:
    You've lost me Terry! :confused:

He was pointing out your earlier use of incomplete words.

He was pointing out your earlier use of incomplete words.

Incomplete words?? Like cud --> could
    n --> and?

Like...whyyy?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Duuurty text speak. That's the why.

cson wrote:
    Duuurty text speak. That's the why.

haha aaaaah why didn't someone say so! yasus! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

ferdi wrote:
    i just rarely drink in pubs/clubs now. do my boozing at home or in a friends place where you are guaranteed: cheap booze, a seat, good company, good music, no Qs for the bathroom, no bathroom 'attendants', drinks just how you like them, no waiting for 20 minutes to be served at the bar, no rude and ignorant door/bar staff, no cover charges, no dress codes, no watered down booze, no last orders etc etc

+1000

couldn't have put it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

best of all stay off the drink, it's bad for you don't you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

no random sluts to score ;-D When I was in college we always went out with, could have a great night out for around €15, nagan of vodka+redbull before going into pub/club, go somewhere free like twentyone before 11pm or barcode- get maybe 1 pint in the place, nitelink home €4. Great. You don't have to get ripped off, there are alternative ways of doing these things.
    +1

Use a bit of discretion when deciding how you spend your money on a night out. Plan ahead and you'll save quite a bit. Know approximately how much alcohol you're going to drink, how much(if anything) the club charges in, how much the club charges for drinks and approximately how much it will cost to get home beforehand. Personally, I can usually get my nights out to cost no more than €20-30 without drinking too conservatively.

Advertisement