Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Boru - The movie

Options
  • 05-10-2007 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Well its finally happening, a film about one of the greatest Irishmen of all time is going to hit the big screen.
    While on the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing the viking invasion been played out on the big screen, on the other hand i've a feeling its going to be another hollywoodisation of history mixed with fantasy, with the emphasis on fantasy. If Michael Collins' story can be twisted, god knows what'll happen when they try to depict this era.

It seems Leonardo diCaprio is playing Brian himself, with Vinnie Jones playing Ivor of Limerick. I would've thought diCaprio too young, and too much of a pretty boy to play the fearless warrior. Vinnie Jones as Ivor of Limerick :eek: , jeez I didn't think there were car doors back then for him to slam peoples heads in. :D

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/13/leonardo-dicaprio-and-vinnie-jones-team-up-for-irish-king-tale/

Any thoughs on this film? Who do people think would be suitable to play these roles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hope to God Tom Cruise doesn't get to hear about this:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

I'm looking forward to seeing the viking invasion been played out on the big screen,

Like Saving Private Ryan with swords and horned helmets.:D
    I would've thought diCaprio too young, and too much of a pretty boy to play the fearless warrior.

We can assume that Brian was young once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Mick86 wrote:

We can assume that Brian was young once.
    Boru was 60+ years old when he became King. I would have thought maybe someone a little older like Brendan Gleeson would be a good choice, but DiCaprio will put bums on seats i suppose. He's a good actor, but it's a questionable bit of casting for this role imo.

Boru was 60+ years old when he became King.

But he was King of Munster for donkeys years before that. And everybody knows that the All Ireland is just a re-run of the Munsters.:D

If you're going to do a complete Biopic you'll need a few actors-young Brian, Middle aged Brian and Old Brian.

Jonathan Rhys Myers might make a young Brian and Liam Neeson for older Brian. Brendan Gleeson would make a perfect Viking. Steve Buscemi could be Brodir. He's the kind of Viking that would whack an old man while he's on his knees.

Incidentally the idea of a Viking invasion strikes me as a misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Deadly. I hope its not going to be too leprechauny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Liam Neeson for older Brian. Brendan Gleeson would make a perfect Viking

Ughhhh. Those two are in way too many films so thankfully they won't have their ugly mugs in this one.

Ughhhh. Those two are in way too many films so ....

Professional actors appearing in films. Whatever next?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the movie will probably have some sort of "Love Interest" ala Braveheart sleeing with the Queen of England:confused:

when you have actors like Di Caprio playing historical figures (although I do like him as an actor) you wonder whether or not they will let truth get in the way of a good story.

I'm looking forward to this though, interesting period of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I think they should give Sébastien Chabal an equity card and get him to play Brodir.

the movie will probably have some sort of "Love Interest" ala Braveheart sleeing with the Queen of England:confused:

Not bad. We could make him the lover of Queen Elfrida and natural father of Ethelred the Unready.

But yer wan in Braveheart was just the Princess of Wales. And you know what they say about the Princess of Wales and the Eifel Tower.

• Advertisement

I think they should give Sébastien Chabal an equity card and get him to play Brodir.

Brian has to die by the battleaxe not keel over with a heart attack when Chabal bursts into the tent.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Well its finally happening, a film about one of the greatest Irishmen of all time is going to hit the big screen.
    While on the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing the viking invasion been played out on the big screen,
    If it's in any way historically accurate then you'll be disappointed. The Vikings had been defeated a long time before Brian Boru did anything of note. Maybe if the film has a bit about his father the Vikings will play a slightly bigger role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I work as an occasional extra and am hoping to work on it, in part because one of my dim and distant ancestors was probably there at the battle of Clontarf and indeed was a chieftain who was killed in battle. So for once I could have a personal connection to a movie.

Having said that, it is likely to be a piece of hokum we will all be ashamed of. But let's hope it's a bit of a 'Gladiator' piece or even 'Braveheart'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

it'll be ****,i can just imagine di caprio trying to sound irish...why dont they get an irish actor....as mentioned already,brendan gleeson!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

As Con Houlihan observed, the Battle of Clontarf probably wasn't in Clontarf, and it was a fight between a Dub and a Clareman rather than an Irishman against a Dane.

eroo wrote: »
    it'll be ****,i can just imagine di caprio trying to sound irish...why dont they get an irish actor....as mentioned already,brendan gleeson!!!!!!!

For the same reason they got a Dub to play Alexander the Great I suppose. How do we know what a 10th century Clareman sounded like anyway?
    As Con Houlihan observed, the Battle of Clontarf probably wasn't in Clontarf, and it was a fight between a Dub and a Clareman rather than an Irishman against a Dane.

Danes fought on both sides didn't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It'll be a cross between Micheal Collins and The tudors-in otherwords insipid cack. Still there is the reenactment in seven years time to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

when does it come out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Shooting on location in Ireland, early '08. It'll be '09 before its on the big screen afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

thanks, i hope its a good show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

eroo wrote: »
    it'll be ****,i can just imagine di caprio trying to sound irish...

That was my firts thought also about Di Caprio trying to sound Irish. I it will improve from his attempt on Gangs of New York.

Fair dues to him, he made a valiant effort to sound Afrikans in Blood Diamonds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

Mick86 wrote: »
    For the same reason they got a Dub to play Alexander the Great I suppose. How do we know what a 10th century Clareman sounded like anyway?

Ancient Greeks at least seem to sound like modern day Scots after watching the Trojan War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ramshock

whats the latest on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

It'll be a cross between Micheal Collins and The tudors-in otherwords insipid cack. Still there is the reenactment in seven years time to look forward to.

The Tudors was great!
    mrgalway wrote: »
    That was my firts thought also about Di Caprio trying to sound Irish. I it will improve from his attempt on Gangs of New York.

Fair dues to him, he made a valiant effort to sound Afrikans in Blood Diamonds.

He wasn't Afrikaans, he was from Row-dee-ja

Maybe Di Caprio is playing Murchad rather than Brian Boru himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sleezy

What? No Irish actors out there? So we can expect the usual crap "Oirish" accents from the most unconvincing of Irish warriors! Braveheart meets 90210 no doubt. Why not Brendan Gleeson or Liam Neeson? Who needs these Ausralians/Yanks/Brits/Canadians etc? One to avoid then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

old thread is old. locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement