Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Doing Down" a bike

Options
  • 05-10-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

hey hey.
    just stuck a deposit on a very bog-standard paganini roadie, but was still wondering if it would be an idea to horrible-up the bike some? i.e., splash of paint, tape around the marque, etc. to stop it from being lifted in town? has anyone sprayed their bike? is it necessary to take the whole yoke apart?

these are all interesting questions, you'll agree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

hey hey.
    just stuck a deposit on a very bog-standard paganini roadie, but was still wondering if it would be an idea to horrible-up the bike some? i.e., splash of paint, tape around the marque, etc. to stop it from being lifted in town? has anyone sprayed their bike? is it necessary to take the whole yoke apart?

these are all interesting questions, you'll agree.

Interesting questions, indeed. All i've done is not washed my bike ever, and wrapped old bicycle tube around the top and seat tubes, which has the double benefit of making it look less desirable and protecting against bumps and scrapes.

I think splashing paint over it would be a step too far. I usually find that the inclination to mess it up goes away the longer you've had it. If you're worried about theft, get two locks, one u-lock, the other a strong cable one that you can leave at your usual parking spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

Itsfixed wrote:
    Interesting questions, indeed. All i've done is not washed my bike ever, and wrapped old bicycle tube around the top and seat tubes, which has the double benefit of making it look less desirable and protecting against bumps and scrapes.

I think splashing paint over it would be a step too far. I usually find that the inclination to mess it up goes away the longer you've had it. If you're worried about theft, get two locks, one u-lock, the other a strong cable one that you can leave at your usual parking spot.
    cheers. will definitely be investing in a spanking new lock. to be honest, the idea of painting it didn't really appeal so will prob just wrap some tape around marques etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the name and model, etc and done with plastic stickers, a hair dryer should be able to remove them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Yes, I have painted both mine a hideous yellow- with no regrets at all. I can't find the threads about it now, one was all about pink bikes- a few websites talk about it.

I hand painted it all over, rims, brakes, spokes, seatpost, every single bit- but making sure it was not affecting the mechanics. Even if people realised what it was it would take around a week to remove the paint with stripper.

Apart from all the obvious advantages -the paint protects exposed nuts to rusting, and the bike is more visible to motorists.

Only downside is the resale value is gone down- but that is the reason I did it, so not a downside in my book- if I was to sell it then it would probably be to a mate who would probably value the fact it is "rob proofed" and would pay what it is worth. Other downside is people thinking you are a nutter! doesnt bother me- lads in work saying "I wouldnt give you €10 for that", and I tell them I am delighted, thats exactly the reaction I want from the scum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

a less permanent uglification method is to use good ol' selotape. if you wrap the frame up in copious amount of it, then peel it off after a day or two, it'll leave a gummy layer behind, then smear the frame with dirt and it'll stick, basically. filthy bike, but easily reversible with a bit of scrubbing. if it's a decent bike it'll always be a target though. get a really good lock obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

pair of mud guards 'de-sexy's' it. Is a road bike safer than a MTB, I'd have thought so? also having spd/clipless pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

uberwolf wrote:
    pair of mud guards 'de-sexy's' it.
    And a shopping basket!

Advertisement