Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alarm + Remote Start

Options
  • 05-10-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey,

Looking into getting a two- way alarm for the car with remote start.. I head clifford are good..

has anyone used clifford, someone told me they're only for automatics?!

If not clifford, any other recommendations?

Thankin' You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

I had clifford in my last car with remote start and it never put a foot wrong once!! I'd definatly reccomend them, one of the best brands in the business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've got a Clifford G5 on mine, and the remote start is very handy. A few things though.

If you have a manual car, you have to punch in a code to activate the remote start in advance of the next time you might use the system. This is before you even leave the car. the reasoning is that you would check the car is in neutral and you have handbrake on when inputting the code. Mine's an auto so I don't need t do that. (on the Clifford model some people I know have)

If your car has a factory immobiliser you probably shouldn't get remote start, you need to have an transponder chip permanentyl near the ignition barrell for the engine to start, this makes the car very easy to steal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

colm_mcm wrote:

If your car has a factory immobiliser you probably shouldn't get remote start, you need to have an transponder chip permanentyl near the ignition barrell for the engine to start, this makes the car very easy to steal.

thats not actually true, you need the transponder alright but you dont leave it near the ignition, you remove the immobiliser reciever from the ignition and hide it somewhere else in the car or inside the dash, the transponder stays with it and on the power wire to the transponder reciever you cut it and add in the immobiliser relay thats built into the alarm so that the receiver doesnt have any power until the alarm is deactivated by the remote and theres no way the car can start even with the proper key.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car are you looking to put it on?Id recommend the clifford anyways (and not being biased!) There downside is there pricey but be wary of buying something off the likes of ebay because chances are noone will fit it for you here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

eireal wrote:
    There downside is there pricey but be wary of buying something off the likes of ebay because chances are noone will fit it for you here

yeah thats always the bad thing, nobody wants to fit it unless you buy it from them,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Safesounds

What kind of car have you got? I wouldn't recommend Clifford alarms,they have great gimmicks but there are better alarm systems out there for the same money. Depending on the car I'd recommend you stay away from remote start systems also, they do make the car easier to steal, whether it has a transponder or not.
    If you're serious about getting a good system to stop them breaking into & taking your car stay away from remote start and Clifford alarms. If you're looking for a toy to impress your mates there's nothing better, but otherwise..
    Let us know what kind of car it is =]

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What systems would you recommend over a Clifford. I reckon the name alone is a good deterrent from scummers.
    I must say I love the remote start function on my car, and as it has blackjack, and cuts off the engine if broken into, it would be a pain to steal.
    That said, a car with the engine running would be attractive to thieves, even if they couldn't get it running, they still might try and break in.

Not talking about the car being stolen while the engine is running. To fit a remote start system you have to bypass the exsisting ignition system on the car. You're basically hotwiring the car.
    I said it before, if you want a toy for your car, get the Clifford. If you want something that's gonna stop the car getting stolen, there are other better options.
    Just from the system that we use, you can fit a system in the car with a tracking unit and text reciever. If the car gets stolen you can shut it down by texting it and the tracking device tells you where you can get it back. Seperate immobiliser systems which stop the car from starting even if the key is used unless you go throgh a proceedure first [ie: turn on the rear heated window and press the brake] These systems are all add-ons to the basic alarm system. I'm sure Clifford do something similar but just stay away from remote start.
    What type of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Whats so "toyfull" about a clifford alarm or what makes it any easier to steal than the likes of say a meta alarm?

• Advertisement

My mistake, what I meant was the remote start system as a "toy", not Clifford equipment.

Advertisement