Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 price drops again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    The 360 is starting to look like the most expensive kid on the block, only its game line up can save it now, lets hope the lure of that Bluray player at that price isn't too much and folk still hanker for a spot of halo3 come december!

No offence dude, but what do you care if the PS3 outsells the 360? What difference does it actaully make to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

http://news.spong.com/article/13950

SONY: "So, from here on in, there are no plans for backwards-compatibility in PlayStation products."

You've got till the end of November, roughly, to pick up a full spec PS3 with ps2 back compat.

(Only cut-down models will ever be on sale after the few full spec machines are sold.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Asides from the BC issue (and the 20GB extra on the drive, and the memory card reader and the 2 USB ports), it still seems to me that the 60GB would be better value at €499 if it comes with two games (presumably retailing at €60 each) than the 40GB SKU at €399.

Or is there going to be anything sold with the 40GB, even a Blu-ray movie, to make choosing that pack more 'sensible'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Or is there going to be anything sold with the 40GB, even a Blu-ray movie, to make choosing that pack more 'sensible'?

not on Sony's end no. but it's quarter four, this is when stores start making their own bundles. i would imagine they'll be banging the "entry" model into a good few bundles soon enough. i'm thinking resistance, motorstorm et al.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stephen!, this is a forum where folk make points and others either differ or agree and we all explore each issue and its ramifications.
    Here, on this topic, we see a machine, previously overpriced and underwhelmed in terms of available games, suddenly take a 2nd price drop since the start of the summer and also we see the introduction of a PS3 for the budget consious gamer.
    A PS3 now has to be a serious contender for people just about to buy into the next gen for the first time.
    This price drop has a massive impact on the big sales period, that is the coming christmas, and so a big impact on the state of play between the PS3/Wii/360.
    Of course a price drop for the Xbox 360 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons, although MS are probably banking on Halo3s genius to sell lots and lots of consoles.

All of this is interesting because this christmas may well define what console gets the all important 3rd party support into 2008/2009 and therefore define which console gets all the best games.
    This in turn has an effect on what games you and I and everyone will be drooling over for the rest of this gens lifespan, perhaps 2010 or so.

Thats why I think this matters to me.

Of course there are more important things than videogames.....

Hold on, I'll think of one....

Give me a minute now.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

not on Sony's end no

Rumour has it that they will be bundling a Spiderman 3 Blu-ray with it from the beginning of November.

Also, rumour has it there'll be a pro evo bundle for €429.

These have shown up on various Euro retailers, but they're not confirmed for UK/Ireland, yet. Fingers crossed though. A Pro Evo pack at 429 would do very good business I think (although it'd be a bit more expensive here, as usual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Stephen!, this is a forum where folk make points and others either differ or agree and we all explore each issue and its ramifications.
    Here, on this topic, we see a machine, previously overpriced and underwhelmed in terms of available games, suddenly take a 2nd price drop since the start of the summer and also we see the introduction of a PS3 for the budget consious gamer.
    A PS3 now has to be a serious contender for people just about to buy into the next gen for the first time.
    This price drop has a massive impact on the big sales period, that is the coming christmas, and so a big impact on the state of play between the PS3/Wii/360.
    Of course a price drop for the Xbox 360 would really put the cat amongst the pigeons, although MS are probably banking on Halo3s genius to sell lots and lots of consoles.

All of this is interesting because this christmas may well define what console gets the all important 3rd party support into 2008/2009 and therefore define which console gets all the best games.
    This in turn has an effect on what games you and I and everyone will be drooling over for the rest of this gens lifespan, perhaps 2010 or so.

Thats why I think this matters to me.

Of course there are more important things than videogames.....

Hold on, I'll think of one....

Give me a minute now.......

Ah no dude i wasnt having a go or anything. Just the way you said "lets hope" made it seem like you want the PS3 to triumph over the 360, which didnt really make sense to me, as both consoles are absolutley great with alot of shared platform games with even more coming.

Either way, whatever one wins i dont think anybody who is with the "loser" is gonna be short of games and entertainment. I was very happy with my original xbox right up till i got my 360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see what you mean and agree.
    There is really no such thing as a bad games console, developers may have trouble getting to grips with it, like they did with the Saturn, but thats not our concern.
    No, its all about the games, and whenever there are great games to be played, I'll by the hardware I need to play them, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    Rumour has it that they will be bundling a Spiderman 3 Blu-ray with it from the beginning of November.

Also, rumour has it there'll be a pro evo bundle for €429.

These have shown up on various Euro retailers, but they're not confirmed for UK/Ireland, yet. Fingers crossed though. A Pro Evo pack at 429 would do very good business I think (although it'd be a bit more expensive here, as usual).

well right now that's speculation (though i'm hearing strong rumours suggesting a spiderman3 and blu-ray remote bundle). don't want to make someone go to a store and expect something that ain't there, yet anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

steviec wrote:
    I don't want to turn this into a list but MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, LBP, R&C, Uncharted, the next games in the God of War and Ico series, next gen Singstar, Buzz and Eyetoy, Echochrome, Wipeout

The originality there is staggering ... Sequel after sequel really says it all for me.Splash some shiny on the cash cows and the hordes will be happy, yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Frankly, the originality of titles like Little Big Planet, ICO, Buzz, Singstar, Eyetoy and Echochrome is staggering - and an area where The 360 - with it's catalogue of games aimed squarely at 14 year old spotty boys - is struggling to compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I hate to be the voice of reason, but however low the console drops coming up to christmas, you can be sure it will be matched by an almost equal drop after Christmas...

I think I'll wait a bit more. Backward compatibility be damned, I already have a PS2 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Frankly, the originality of titles like Little Big Planet, ICO, Buzz, Singstar, Eyetoy and Echochrome is staggering - and an area where The 360 - with it's catalogue of games aimed squarely at 14 year old spotty boys - is struggling to compete with.

Frankly if it came down to a choice between playing gears of war, halo, crackdown or buzz, or eyetoy, or singstar, i know what games id rather play. And im 27, not a 'spotty 14 year old'. And seriously, the 360 lineup struggling to compete with the ps3 in terms of originality?? Every good game thats on the ps3 is a port of a game that was on the 360 months before. all the games you mentioned arent even released yet, and ICO hasnt even been announced for the ps3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

an area where The 360 - with it's catalogue of games aimed squarely at 14 year old spotty boys - is struggling to compete with.
    In fairness, thats not true. Some of the best looking games (i.e. Mass Effect, Lost Odessey, Eternal Sonata, Ace Combat 6, Kane and Lynch etc...) are coming out on the 360 this and next year, and they are in no way directed at 14 year old spotty boys.

As i'm sure there are also great games coming out on the PS3 (which i dont know as much about as i dont own one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ivan wrote:
    Backward compatibility be damned, I already have a PS2 :p

Couldn't have put it better myself. Don't see what the fuss about losing backward compatibilty is.

d22ontour wrote:
    The originality there is staggering ... Sequel after sequel really says it all for me.Splash some shiny on the cash cows and the hordes will be happy, yawn.

LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, White Knight Story, Afrika, Infamous, Free Realms, Nobi Nobi Boy, The Agency, Valkyrie of the Battlefield....etc. etc.??

LBP alone is probably the most promising looking original title shown so far this generation. Original games and IP is a pretty strong point for PS3, I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I was buying now I'd definitely go for Xbox 360 since right now it has a very strong line up of exclusives. You would have to be stupid to buy a PS3 on the strength of a line up of potentially good games that are still a long way off. The only 2 games for the PS3 that interest me are MGS4 and Uncharted and thats mainly to do with the quality of the developers behind the games since they are almost guaranteed to be good. All the rest are unknown quantities. Even if you like your japanese RPGs you would probably be better off with the 360 since Mistwalker are developing for it and some japanese companies are warming to the 360 like Namco with the release of Eternal Sonata. FFXIII is unlikely to be good or anything like a japanese RPG if squaresofts awful recent output is anything to go by. What might swing it for me is the fact that Level 5 are developing White Knight Story for the PS3 and probably a few more games and they have yet to develop an RPG thats less than brilliant.

I know we disagree often on these things, but I think you'd have to be stupid not to look at the future and what's coming down the pipe. Consoles are 4-5-6 year investments in a platform.

PS3 has huge exclusives coming in the next year or so, and amazing looking original stuff to boot. And a lot of it isn't too far into the future..next year starts in just a couple of months, and in the meantime you've got Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Singstar, GT5: Prologue, Wipeout HD, The Eye of Judgement (stupidly priced here, but it looks good), Folklore and the rest of the bigger multiplatform stuff - COD4, Kayne & Lynch, The Orange Box, PES2008, Haze, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed Pro Street etc. etc. etc. If you need stuff like Metal Gear Solid 4, UT3, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone2 etc. to be gratified, in most cases you'll only be waiting a few more months for those - they're not far far into the future at all, there's a lot of great stuff coming in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

LookingFor wrote:
    LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, White Knight Story, Afrika, Infamous, Free Realms, Nobi Nobi Boy, The Agency, Valkyrie of the Battlefield....etc. etc.??

LBP alone is probably the most promising looking original title shown so far this generation. Original games and IP is a pretty strong point for PS3, I'd say.

How many hours have you spent playing those games...?

Another question: What are the gameplay mechanics like in Heavy Rain?

Or Nobi Nobi Boy?

Or Afrika (working title)?

Lair got lots of publicity and "blah blah blah, revolutionary controls, great new IP" bulls*it too. And everyone pretty much accepts it sucks now.

Heavenly Sword, again, touted as being Sony's next big thing, end result, poor man's God of War or Devil May Cry.

How many more "Sony's next big thing" games will have come out and turn out to be utter cr*p/just plain disappointing/nothing we haven't seen before (delete as applicable), before people stop spewing a list of unreleased games as proof to themselves that they haven't wasted €630 on a shiny dust collector that happens to play blu-ray movies?

To add something to the main topic here. Who in their right F**King mind would buy a console with a redundant controller?? :mad: Who? Because that is exactly what the Dual-shock 2 is!

How many hours have you spent playing those games...?

How many hours has anyone spent playing any games coming out in the future? How can you judge any original IP? Unquestionably it's more difficult with original games with no heritage, but he was asking about original games. So should we just not discuss these things at all? :rolleyes:

Of the games I've listed, the following in bold

at least come from developers of a known, high pedigree. And as for LittleBigPlanet, while its coming from a new developer, it has been almost universally well received by those who've seen it and played it, and you only need look at any video of it to see how exciting it looks.

• Advertisement

Most if the games mentioned above are summed up in one word,
    VAPOURWARE.
    For the uninitiated these are the titles that games companies promise you in order to make you have to have their latest console offering.
    Often these vapourware games look like they will tranform your gaming life, bringing better graphics, better gameplay and better everything, perhaps even heralding world peace and healing the sick.

Unfortunately the truth tends to be that they are way over hyped and cause little more than disappointment upon eventual release, not quite lighting the world aflame after all. Even though these games can be good they are lacking in that certain something that was promised.
    Examples have been Killzone, Fable, Rogue Galaxy, Mario Kart DD to name but a few.
    Truth is all console fanboys can talk forever about the great games about to come out on the console of their obsession but its the existing games that you can actually buy that should be your only measure of a machine.
    Using this the 360 is far and away the console that offers the best value for money right now.
    The PS3 may have a wonderful catalogue of titles available for purchase in mid 08 but that's of no consequence to us now, at this time.
    For someone looking to buy a machine its no comfort that while there's nothing but derivative crap on his machine now, not to worry things will pick up in 8 months, no he wants something to play now and the best machine right now is, again, the 360.

Little Big Planet, once again has yet to be played by ,most of us, yet to be released and tried out by the legions of PS3 owners, so no yardstick about how great the game happens to be is useful, we must wait until people can buy it and play it themselves to judge if it's to be a hit or not, and apparent reviewer delight is no guarantee of good performance at retail.

And LookingFor, great videos do not a great game make. Wait 'til you can get your hands on a game and play it for yourself before you say how great a game is.

Sure we all enjoy speculating on the upcoming delights for the machines we own but never ever make the mistake of judging a machine on the games only seen in developer led previews, supporting a console on the grounds of what is to come rather than what is already available, this is why the launch line up of a console is so important, and why Sony got it so wrong while MS and Nintendo got it so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can talk about prospects and games that probably won't be released in Europe until next Christmas, but the cold hard fact is that the PS3 has nothing worth buying a console for right now. There are now AAA games for it at all, hell there aren't even any A games. Resistance, Motorstorm and Warhawk are about the best of a bad bunch, everything else is either rubbish or available on the 360.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im a long time ps user,did'nt like the the first xbox at all,none of the games appealed to me,but now im half tempted to buy a 360,as theres alot of good rps coming out for it,eternal sonata is out oct 19th but it ain't out on the ps3 till next yr somtime :O,I would'nt mind a ps3 though,BUT ID only be buying it for mgs 4 and final fantasy 13,but all this talk of them not produceing anymore backward compatible machines is putting me off as I have a lot of rpgs for the ps1 and ps2 that I would want to play now and then,I dunno what to do :s

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Most if the games mentioned above are summed up in one word,
    VAPOURWARE.
    For the uninitiated these are the titles that games companies promise you in order to make you have to have their latest console offering.

No, vapourware is software that ends up never being released...or being released years and years and years later than expected.

None of the mentioned titles can be classed as such any more than any other game.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    The PS3 may have a wonderful catalogue of titles available for purchase in mid 08 but that's of no consequence to us now, at this time.

It's of consequence to anyone interested in buying the machine. People like to know a system will entertain them for years to come.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    And LookingFor, great videos do not a great game make. Wait 'til you can get your hands on a game and play it for yourself before you say how great a game is.

I've read hands-on reports, and I think you can tell quite a lot from videos. I guess if you had been at GDC in March, you'd have been going around telling everyone to pipe down and stop being excited. Do you do this for every game people start anticipating, or just PS3 ones? For god's sake :rolleyes:

Sephiroth_dude - PS3s will still play PSone games going forward. A 60GB machine will play PSone and PS2 games. A 360 will play neither.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LookingFor wrote:
    It's of consequence to anyone interested in buying the machine. People like to know a system will entertain them for years to come.

Thats true but it's also true that if you buy one right now, the best games you will be playing will also be on the 360 which has loads of excellent exclusives that the PS3 doesn't have. My PS3 has been mostly unused since I got it but thats because I have a 360 as well. While somebody getting a PS3 only will get enjoyment out of it, for less money you can get a 360 with a better selection of games. This could change in 8 months but right now the 360 is the best machine your money can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

LookingFor wrote:

But it's of no use to people if they have to wait a year before having anything of use to play on it. You're better off waiting. Personally, I'm waiting, myself (mainly for Hard Rain). I got myself a 360 last christmas because I knew it'd be ages before the PS3 would have a catalogue that would be worth a glance.

Anyway, it's all pointless, since in 2009 Humanji Incorporated will be bringing out the Atari Jaguar X. It's neither backwards, nor forwards compatible, but it does come with a built in VHS player and an alpine car air freshener (it's in the shape of a tree!). And only then will you realise that the PS3 Vs 360 Vs PC debate is moot!!!

45863.jpg

And I thought the Wiimote was inventive. That motherf*cker has a razor!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote:
    And I thought the Wiimote was inventive. That motherf*cker has a razor!

Yeah, it's a Manhunt 2 specific peripheral.

Where can I order an Atari Jaguar X? I hear there'll be great games on it, some time in '09, can't wait!

When's the follow up to the 360 due?

When will an updated Wii be on offer? DVD? DWiiD? Maybe a true next gen engine under those next gen clothes it wears?

When will Gran Turismo be released for the PSP? The only reason, aside from Ridge Racer 2 and Wipeout to own that piece of garbage, and I've had 2 in my time, the last one the guy who bought it bricked it trying to downgrade the firmware, HA HA!

So many questions, I'm just glad I have Halo 3 right now, although I will own a PS3 by christmas, despite my mate who has one warning against it.
    The only things, in truth, that interests in the near future are GT5 Prologue and PS Home, that's pretty much it.

I can get Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect and the rest on my other consoles.

Not to mention the Virtual Boy flash cart a certain Mr. Hutchinson is creating as we speak, yum yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Console wars are hilarious.

There's about 3 people talking sense in this thread, Retr0gamer to name one, and at least two or three who should probably be banned for blatent fanboy posting.

In case anyone wants to attack that opinion, I'm entirely neutral. I don't own either console, nor do I want to.

Advertisement