Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 price drops again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

humanji wrote:
    But it's of no use to people if they have to wait a year before having anything of use to play on it.

Well, that's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I never see the point in buying a console on launch. It's the most expensive it will ever be and the game lineup is the worst it will ever be. I always wait for both those things to come a little closer.

I did however buy the wii at launch - mainly for the novelty but also for Zelda and the price was but a little pinch compared to the drubbing the PS3 would give me.

Anyway back to my point... I bought the 360 about a year ago when they started offering games with it - I got Ghost Recon AW and Splinter Cell thrown in for free afaik. At that stage there were a good few games ont he market I wanted - PES 6, PGR 3(also free I think)... and quite a few coming up.

Now a year later and the PS3 is within my budgetary realms (I could always have bought one and suffered a few weekends in but my head was saying "too dear!!"). So the only matter is what games are there out there that I want. Well, I wouldn't mind.... em.... eh....... nope, can't think of anything on the platform at the minute that is in anyway better than the 360's offering.

Now I could always buy it based on upcoming titles but as has already been said there is no garuntee that they will live up to any expectation. Very few original games that are hyped to the last do. Gears was a let down. Darkness was imo a very hit and miss game and PES 6 was badly flawed on the 360. Those are the games I wa looking forward to on the 360 this time last year. But i had the quality games that I got at the time I bought it to justify the purchase... and that's what it's all about. Justifying the purchase. Right now, even with a price cut the PS3 just doesn't satisfy the accountant in me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm the same with the PS3, I saw the launch coming and wanted one but promised myself, and more importantly my game hating wife, that I wasn't going to get one until the christmas....
    I have gone through many pangs as the price drops rolled in and I wanted so much to buy one, don't do it my PS3 owning mate said, do it my heart pleaded, don't do it, the wife will kill you the brain said, and predictably, the brain won overall, but I can still hear my heart shouting abuse in my quieter moments, at my weakness.
    The machine will soon, I hope, be residing in my sitting room by the HD telly, nestling up beside the 360 and the Wii, I just have to find the space for it now!
    Not sure how I'm going to find the time to play the machine though, I'm playing Halo3 on heroic, PGR4 soon to demand attention and I have Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime Corruption on hold. Not enough gaming hours in the day!

At least its black, she likes black!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

LookingFor wrote:
    Well, that's not a problem.
    It is if you bought the machine thinking you'd have cutting edge exclusive games at launch and find only substandard exclusives and a years wait til the next batch come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Remember the N64, the short lived joy of Mario64, Shadow of the Empire and Turok, then months of waiting for something worthwhile to play, don't get me wrong the machine had so many classics by the end of its lifespan, just a pity they had such big gaps in between!
    I'm sure by the end of 08 we'll be up to our armpits in classic PS3 titles, just buy something else to keep yourself occupied until then ;)

• Advertisement

come on.. how many classics come out a year for any console? 2 maybe 3? The N64 had as many great games as it's rivals (imo - games that I needed to own) but it lacked the rest of the crap - EA's monthly updates, movie tie ins etc. That imo is why that console failed.

This time next year there will probably be 2 or 3 reasons for you to own a PS3. You've got to weight that up. Is it worth €600 odd for that pleasure? Personally I'll wait a few more months and see how things go. Hopefully a price drop after xmas (in Japan would be nice as I'm heading over there in march) and if they release a AAA title that appeals to me then I'll make it happen. Until then I'm content with my nights in with Miyamoto San and Mr Gates for company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

humanji wrote:
    It is if you bought the machine thinking you'd have cutting edge exclusive games at launch and find only substandard exclusives and a years wait til the next batch come.

Well, first off, we're talking about now, and this Xmas. Not last year.

Buying into a PS3 now or this Xmas, you'll have plenty of stuff 'of use' to keep you occupied, and occupied going forward.

For instance....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hopefully a price drop after xmas (in Japan would be nice as I'm heading over there in march)

The 40GB is gonna be selling for about 250 euro over here, I think...

Anyway, with regards to software line-ups of the PS3 & 360:

Both Microsoft and Sony made big noises prior to the move to this generation of consoles of how gaming was going to move from the bedroom to the living room. Gaming is undoubtedly becoming more and more mainstream, and the new consoles would reflect that, by being the centre of your entertainment world.

Both consoles, to differing degrees, got one part right. They both boast HDMI outputs to connect up to your living room telly, and (in theory, at least) you can stream all your music, movies and photos to your living room. How contemporary, how social, how very grown up.

Of course, the main appeal of these consoles is still their software line-up, and it's that that's going to make or break their transition to the living room.

And, to be perfectly blunt, I would be embarressed to play games like Gears of War, Oblivion and Halo. If these videogames have cinemetical parallels, they would be Rambo or Red Sonja. They are creatively bankrupt, showing no innovation in terms of art direction, astethic, characterision, plot - these are the same games we've been playing since Doom and Venture, just given a fresh lick of paint, a few tacked on USPs for the back of the box, and presented as the pinnacle of the artform.

And sadly, due to their popularity, it is games like these that luddites like Jack Thompson, lawmakers, politicians, film critics and so on think of when they think of videogames, and so any merit the medium has is completely dismissed.

It's a daming indictment of the creativity of the industry, and the tastes of the consumer, that seemingly the only games that seem to get onto shop shelves are Space-Marine-Versus-Aliens, Knights-On-A-Magical-Quest or Missile-Launching-Flame-Throwing-Cars. Or Saints Row.

Who's doing anything about it? Looking at Microsoft's upcoming line-up, after the potentially progressive Alan Wake, I'm left with immature, derivative titles like Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human and Halo Wars. I understand that many are counting the days to their release, but in all honesty, we've all played them before, under the guise of a thousand other identical games. For me, the brightest light on Microsoft's line-up is a rerelease of Rez - because though I've played it before, playing it again will be more of a breath of fresh air than the afformentioned titles.

But then there's Sony. Their line-up has all the usual suspects too. Killzone ticks the Space-Marine-Versus-Aliens, there's more Knights-On-A-Magical-Quest cookie-cutter games than I care to count, and plenty of Shiny-Cars-Racing games to boot. And you know, meh.

But Sony's line-up looks like it's gonna take the path less trodden. They're pushing games like Singstar and Buzz, which I won't be mortified to play in front of (or, heaven forbid, with) my girlfriend, friends, or guests to my house. It's social games like these that will truly win the living room for videogames.

And not only does their line-up pitch itself at the mainstream, but they seem keen to create new, artistically and creatively relevant games for the rest of us. We're seeing it on the Playstation Store with stuff like PixelJunk Racers and Loco Roco, and we'll hopefully be seeing it next year with stuff like LittleBigPlanet, Afrika, Aqua, Echochrome and more.

Sure, those gamers that see Halo3 and Gears of War as the pinnacle of the medium may easily dismiss them as unknown quantities. Me? I'll embrace them, precisely because they are unknown quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

OT

OK, I have to say this.

I think NekkidBibleMan should be removed as a mod in the xbox forum, as he seems to show nothing but contempt for microsofts offerings (as here) or ignorance over the consoles features
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003623

Sorry if my etiquette isn't up to scratch, but I think the whole thing is a farce!

I won't post again in this topic, feel free to do whatever you want with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

But Sony's line-up looks like it's gonna take the path less trodden. They're pushing games like Singstar and Buzz, which I won't be mortified to play in front of (or, heaven forbid, with) my girlfriend, friends, or guests to my house. It's social games like these that will truly win the living room for videogames.

That battle is already lost by both the 360 and the PS3 to the Wii.
    Singstar and Buzz are hardly new innovations, they are just the annual re-hash of a popular IP.
    Sure the likes of LittleBigPlanet could be great, but no one knows if it will be any good.
    It's a daming indictment of the creativity of the industry, and the tastes of the consumer, that seemingly the only games that seem to get onto shop shelves are Space-Marine-Versus-Aliens, Knights-On-A-Magical-Quest or Missile-Launching-Flame-Throwing-Cars. Or Saints Row.

I don't think its completely down to a lack of creativity, more down to knowing the market, and what the market wants. Just like the summer blockbuster film is usually fits into the same few genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

OT

OK, I have to say this.

I think NekkidBibleMan should be removed as a mod in the xbox forum, as he seems to show nothing but contempt for microsofts offerings (as here) or ignorance over the consoles features
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003623

Sorry if my etiquette isn't up to scratch, but I think the whole thing is a farce!

i wouldn't go as far as to say NBM shows "contempt" for MS. he's got an opinion on their offering. should we only have fanboys as mods for the games sections? his opinion is actually well balanced. all he said here was that MS is offering derivative games, and in the other thread he said simply that Sony's online service offers more value for money (because it's free).

LookingFor wrote:
    Well, first off, we're talking about now, and this Xmas. Not last year.

Buying into a PS3 now or this Xmas, you'll have plenty of stuff 'of use' to keep you occupied, and occupied going forward.

Who mentioned last year? I said that there's a year wait for some of the exclusives you mentioned. There's a rubbish selection for the PS3 now, as there was for the 360 at launch and for the months following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i wouldn't go as far as to say NBM shows "contempt" for MS. he's got an opinion on their offering. should we only have fanboys as mods for the games sections? his opinion is actually well balanced. all he said here was that MS is offering derivative games, and in the other thread he said simply that Sony's online service offers more value for money (because it's free).

He is definitely coming across as a fanboy in this thread, a Sony fanboy. You are a self confessed Sony fanboy (at least you have the balls to say it) Also the comment in bold is going too far, i lol'd

How can anyone be expected to listen to your advice on consoles (Nekkid, LookingFor or yourself project) when you clearly have such a slanted view of things. Fair enough you have chosen your side and fair play for sticking with it through thick and thin but you have to acknowledge how one sided you guys come across.

I'm a young professional living with my parents with lots of spare cash, the only way I'd buy a Sony console is second hand. I haven't even done that yet due to poor line up

The 2 people talking most sense are Ciderman and Retro. They have a clearly un-biased view and discuss things logically.

Why must these threads always fall into console x vz console y

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I yhink what really hammered home how bad the PS3 line up is was when I bought one. In the shop were I got it practically every PS3 game was available to me but I couldn't find one exclusive I wanted. I ended up with 2 games available already on the 360 because they were going cheaper and Virtua Fighter 5 which was a steal at $15 but will be on the 360 soon as a much improved game.

Even the PS3 store isn't offering anywhere near the quality of xbox live arcade. Loco Roco is great but lemmings was awful. I've loads of live arcade games that regularly get played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They're pushing games like Singstar and Buzz, which I won't be mortified to play in front of (or, heaven forbid, with) my girlfriend, friends, or guests to my house.

If the games mortify you why buy the consoles? (Dunno which you have, you seem to prefer PS but youre an Xbox forum mod). Both consoles have more than FPS games.
    While you might be mortified by many games they're great sellers. Sony and MS are companies that want to make money. They're going to try to make games that make money. If millions of people buy Halo 3 you can be pretty sure there'll be more FPS coming out. If you don't like them then just buy one of the many other genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I really, really hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but I guess to some people I do.

So anyway, I own a 360, and I thoroughly enjoyed Earth Defence Force and Dead Rising. My criticism of the 360's software lineup still stands though - it consists almost exclusively of cookie-cutter action and RPGs that they think are mature just because they're full of gore, or are populated by big, gruff surly men. (Whereas, lets face it, that's about as immature as it comes)

I also own a PS3, and I readily admit there is close to nothing out for it at the moment. I'm slowly playing through Resistance, already traded in Motorstorm because I thought it was rubbish, and can't really stomach Warhawk online. Apart from that, I spend my time playing PS2 games I pick up on the cheap from my local second-hand shop.

However, though I have no crystal ball, the PS3's upcoming software line-up is looking a lot stronger (or should I say, a lot more tailored to my tastes), than the 360. At TGS, the sheer variety of games on show on Sony's booth was encouraging. Whereas the 360 line-up consists of blockbuster games like Ninja Gaiden 2 and Too Human - games which are just bigger, shinier iterations of games that have gone before - the PS3 line-up features genuine one-of-a-kind experiences.

But hey, I appreciate different people have different tastes. I understand why some people love Halo and Gears of War. I just find them a little bit stale, and want something new.

Last generation, the Playstation 2 played host to some of the most innovative games of the era - stuff like Katamari Damacy, Okami, Rez, ICO, Gregoy Horror Show and so on. And because the PS3 is more likely to see games in a similar vein than the 360, I am more enthusiastic about it.

OT

OK, I have to say this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055003623

Take it to Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Vegeta wrote:
    He is definitely coming across as a fanboy in this thread, a Sony fanboy. You are a self confessed Sony fanboy (at least you have the balls to say it) Also the comment in bold is going too far, i lol'd

i think his comments were actually quite fair tbh. he doesn't like a lot of the games on the 360 that are coming because they're sequals or derivative of games that have already been released. he did point out sony have this "issue" too.
    Vegeta wrote:
    How can anyone be expected to listen to your advice on consoles (Nekkid, LookingFor or yourself project) when you clearly have such a slanted view of things. Fair enough you have chosen your side and fair play for sticking with it through thick and thin but you have to acknowledge how one sided you guys come across.

i have fought on the side of 360 around these parts on occasion. i do own the thing too, and the wii it must be said. i just think sony have the better long term plan here. where are the littlebigplanets and locoroco's from microsoft or its partners? the only things that i've enjoyed on 360 are shooters, because everything else (exaggeration) has been sub-par... for the most part.

I really, really hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but I guess to some people I do.
    In this thread I would say you do but it is not something I have noted in the past

So anyway, I own a 360, and I thoroughly enjoyed Earth Defence Force and Dead Rising. My criticism of the 360's software lineup still stands though - it consists almost exclusively of cookie-cutter action and RPGs that they think are mature just because they're full of gore, or are populated by big, gruff surly men. (Whereas, lets face it, that's about as immature as it comes)

I also own a PS3, and I readily admit there is close to nothing out for it at the moment. I'm slowly playing through Resistance, already traded in Motorstorm because I thought it was rubbish, and can't really stomach Warhawk online. Apart from that, I spend my time playing PS2 games I pick up on the cheap from my local second-hand shop.

However, though I have no crystal ball, the PS3's upcoming software line-up is looking a lot stronger (or should I say, a lot more tailored to my tastes), than the 360. At TGS, the sheer variety of games on show on Sony's booth was encouraging. Whereas the 360 line-up consists of blockbuster games like Ninja Gaiden 2 and Too Human - games which are just bigger, shinier iterations of games that have gone before - the PS3 line-up features genuine one-of-a-kind experiences.

Playing devils advocate here ( I plain and simple like good games, I don't care what console they are on as I will buy a console to play a game I want.) You could say the same about most PS3 big name titles. Killzone2, FF(insert number here) GT(insert number here) MGS(insert number here) its the exact same arguement you are using against the 360

But hey, I appreciate different people have different tastes. I understand why some people love Halo and Gears of War. I just find them a little bit stale, and want something new.

Viva Pinata was weird and wonderful and they have a buzz like game coming out in the same theme i think. Bioshock is hardly your generic FPS either, dead rising was a bit different (For the record I agree with you on Gears and Halo, I don't own Gears and Halo/Halo2 were over rated, I didn't even finish Halo2 it was so boring....Halo3 i have to admit is a different beast though, it is a great game not a 10/10 but it is very good)
    Last generation, the Playstation 2 played host to some of the most innovative games of the era - stuff like Katamari Damacy, Okami, Rez, ICO, Gregoy Horror Show and so on.

That is fair enough point
    And because the PS3 is more likely to see games in a similar vein than the 360, I am more enthusiastic about it.

That is a tough one to call and you may be right but only time will tell and in the mean time I would rather play good games rather than watch videos and read previews of games to come while my console gathers dust.

i think his comments were actually quite fair tbh. he doesn't like a lot of the games on the 360 that are coming because they're sequals or derivative of games that have already been released. he did point out sony have this "issue" too.

Which makes it a mute point which only leaves the point below
    i have fought on the side of 360 around these parts on occasion. i do own the thing too, and the wii it must be said.

Point taken but the thread has gone donw the path of "PS3 price drop, does lower price justify a purchase?" At this point in time, no it does not warrant a purchase. Maybe in X amount of time at which stage your locoroco and littlebigplanet will be released.
    i just think sony have the better long term plan here. where are the littlebigplanets and locoroco's from microsoft or its partners? the only things that i've enjoyed on 360 are shooters, because everything else (exaggeration) has been sub-par... for the most part.

You could be 100% correct here the PS3 might have a better long term plan. So now that we are in the long term frame of mind maybe we should wait until the PS3 actually releases those games when its price is even lower, rather than buying it now at a higher price. At what stage will the PS3 software catalogue warrant a purchase? Being honest it currently doesn't

It will, I have no doubt of that (unless someone pulls a plug on the whole thing) but when?

• Advertisement

So...eh...that PS3 price cut, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Last generation, the Playstation 2 played host to some of the most innovative games of the era - stuff like Katamari Damacy, Okami, Rez, ICO, Gregoy Horror Show and so on. And because the PS3 is more likely to see games in a similar vein than the 360, I am more enthusiastic about it.

The new Katamari is out this month on the 360, while the PS3 version was indefinetly shelved.
    Okami didn't sell and the studio was dissolved so not likely to see anything like that again.
    Rez was a Dreamcast game ported to the PS2, just like it is being ported to Live Arcade (never played it myself so looking forward to it since its trance music in the background :D )
    Never even heard of Gregory Horror Show so I guess it wasn't exactly a commercial successes either.

Remember as well that most of the innovative games on the PS2 were 3rd party, and came out on the PS2 because it had by far and away the largest install base last gen, which it doesn't have this gen and, if you count the Wii as next gen, probably never will have. If its innovative games you want, I think your best bet is likely to be the Wii, and leave the 360 and PS3 to us who want more FPSs and RPGs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Personally I think the Wii has shown that if you are to succeed in the current games market you need to attract the casual gamer.

Besides the games, I think casual gamers would be attracted to the PS3's online and Blue-Ray features but right now it is still too expensive. Even if some "must have" games start to get released I don’t see if flying off the shelves this Xmas. For it to sell well the price needs to drop again or the shops have to have some pretty amazing bundle deals over the Xmas.....

As for the BC issue I don't think this is a major issue as most people who want it will still have their PS2 lying around.

mcgovern wrote:
    The new Katamari is out this month on the 360, while the PS3 version was indefinetly shelved.
    Okami didn't sell and the studio was dissolved so not likely to see anything like that again.
    Rez was a Dreamcast game ported to the PS2, just like it is being ported to Live Arcade (never played it myself so looking forward to it since its trance music in the background :D )
    Never even heard of Gregory Horror Show so I guess it wasn't exactly a commercial successes either.

Remember as well that most of the innovative games on the PS2 were 3rd party, and came out on the PS2 because it had by far and away the largest install base last gen, which it doesn't have this gen and, if you count the Wii as next gen, probably never will have. If its innovative games you want, I think your best bet is likely to be the Wii, and leave the 360 and PS3 to us who want more FPSs and RPGs :cool:
    Gregory Horror show was a great game and if you own a PS2 or one of the versions of the PS3 that can play it (I'm confused as to which one that would be) I'd recommend you get it.

As for the rest of the titles - REZ etc, it doesn't matter that they weren't original to the PS2 but I think NBM's point was that the xbox offered no alternative.

I'd take the dreamcast over all of them tbh and the N64 rates high on my list after that so I am by no means a fanboy of sony. I've already made my point as to why it's not a good purchase now but this time next year it might be an out and out winner if they get 2008 lineup right. That's a big if btw.

I also agree with NBM that Gears etc are essentially pimped versions of Quake/Doom etc but to make a console popular you need these. You also need the shiney-car-racers and the monthly updates from EA. That gets the console a base with the masses and also provides the dev's with the income to create the games like Gregory Horror Show or Rez. The dreamcast failed to do this properly as did the N64 and the GC (although it did try).

Back to the main topic - the price cut will help increase the sales no doubt and that will lead to less anxiety amongst the dev's when looking at developing original games for the console so it can only be a good thing but is it worth the purchase now? No. Get a 360 and maybe this time next year treat yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Over in the UK, on the Game UK website, I saw the PS3 40GB going for £300, with the 60GB going for £350, though you can also get bundles of 2 free games for 350 each as well, which is making me seriously consider getting a 60GB PS3, especially given the main reason why I want a PS3 is for the BC, because I see no point in having two consoles, as switching between them would be a nightmare, and I haven't the space for a PS2 and PS3, and besides if I wanted 2 consoles, I'd most likely go for the PS3 and Wii anyway...

I'm turned off the 360 atm because of the issues with it melting/blowing up (I've heard about a guy in my class having to replace his at least twice!), which is a serious one in my opinion, and as well as this fact, I see no real need to own another Microsoft-based machine, given I have a PC already. I also have a lot of PS1/2 games that I want to be able to use, so that's another factor in my purchasing of the PS3 as opposed to the 360. I do a games design module as part of my course at uni, and we touched upon this generation's console wars somewhat briedly, although I imagine it will be touched upon again in the future, much like the Fifa vs Pro Evo argument, even though they essentially do the same thing, just that people form an emotional attachment to one or another, which is exactly what's happening here... people are more emotionally attached to one system over another because of such and such a reason.

At the end of the day, each console has a reasonable footing, due to its strong points, weak points and such. The 360 and PS3 markets are somewhat similar, despite what people have said in the past about "14 year old fanboys" only playing on the 360. Even the Wii is aiming at a more mature audience these days, so in some ways, you'll find that all 3 consoles are trying to capture similar pieces of the market, and at the end of the day, the console wars boils down more towards strength of titles as opposed to flashy graphics. Sure, flashy graphics are nice and all, but does that matter if the game is seriously bugged* or plays like a dog?

I'll leave you guys to answer that for yourself, but I value gameplay over graphics myself, given that I've been playing games on a C64, which had some really good titles. Speaking of that though, this isn't me leaning towards the bias of the PS3, despite me wanting one, but even if there aren't any strong PS3 titles out at the moment, there is always the option of purchasing some good PS2 titles, especially given the fact that the PS2 will be supported for a few more years yet. Another point is that the PS2 games tend rto be cheaper as well, and usually up to half price! You could also pick up some PS1 games dirt-cheap, if you were that way inclined. There are quite a few good PS1/2 games out there that many people may not have played, and all things considered, you can snap up quite a bargain!

Now, I'm not sure if the 360 allows you to do the same, but if it does, then much of the same applies above. I don't quite understand the obsession with new titles, when there's plenty of older ones that are much better than the ones out most recently. For starters, a selling point of the Wii (at least it would be for me) is that you have access to Nintendo's back catalogue of games, and while I haven't an idea of how many people have downloaded from there, I'm fairly sure that a significant portion of the people who bought the Wii did it for the back catalogue, although this said however, most people bought the Wii because of its new control scheme, which is quite innovative and simple to use. In this regard, I think that Nintendo has hit upon a goldmine, especially for those just getting into gaming. So in this respect, I think that the Wii is actually winning over the 360 and PS3 crowd, especially as when I was last in Ireland, my mum was looking at getting a Wii for Christmas!

Something tells me that despite the eventual price war between the PS3 and XBox, the Wii will be gaining more sales over the Christmas period, so what may end up happening is a gradual levelling out of console ownership between the three.

That's just my opinion though, and I imagine that people will disagree, which is fair enough.

*Of course there are exceptions; from what I heard, for all its faults, Bioshock isn't that bad a game at all, although I'm wondering if it'll offer anything new over System Shock 2, but that's my 2 cents.

Reading the above I am left scratching my head, first of all I know a fanboy when I see one and none of the mods fall into this catagory, secondly, when did folk start becoming snobs about the popular genres of games?
    This is like not liking a genre of music simply because its not "hip" enough.
    The FPS, the third person shooter too, the racing game, the fantasy role playing game, to name but a few, are all types of games I love to play, amongst the more alternative stuff, and while I own a lot of stuff, and I mean a lot, I still enjoy these genres the most.
    Over the years these have been refined, and not just to one evolutionary to spot, but to many different treatments, so you get Forza 2, Dirt, GT4, PGR4 in the racing genre.
    In the FPS we have Halo3, HalfLife2, Bioshock, Prey and Call of Duty3.
    In the third person shooter we get Gears of War, Ratchet and Clank.
    In the fantasy role player we have WoW, Oblivion, FFXII.
    All different games, all offering different and original takes on the various staple genres in the gaming field.
    And what of the original IPs, the new ideas we so crave, sure don't they themselves get based on something past too? LocoRoco reminds me of an old Commodore game Bugaboo but at its heart its a platformer with novel controls and nice graphics, half the online shooters seem to be knock offs of Robotron.
    There are so few new ideas, its simply up to developers to take inspiration from the past and come up with new visions, like Metal Gear Solid on the PSone, like MSR on the Dreamcast, like Rez coming to XBLA.

But don't cut your nose off to spite your face, I'd hate to have a constant diet of arthouse movies or nothing on the radio except alternative rock, lets have a bit of balance, lets not over intellectualise gaming and find ourselves too good for a spot of Doom3 or above a spin around a snowy nurburgring in an open topped porsche in PGR4.

But back to the thread title,
    Did anyone buy a 40gb PS3 yet? Or get the now cheaper 60gb one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

LookingFor wrote: »
    Sephiroth_dude - PS3s will still play PSone games going forward. A 60GB machine will play PSone and PS2 games. A 360 will play neither.

I actually lol'ed so hard at this i spilt MiWadi on my keyboard.

But seriously I am hoping to buy a PS3 sometime in the future, hopefully a price drop, or a FFXIII or MGS4 bundle of some sort. Not sure yet. But i do plan on buying, but not now, not with the current games out now.

I bought my 360 in July, and then a couple of weeks ago i was saying to my dad maybe ill upgrade to the elite, and he said to me why didnt i just wait for it to come out and I told him id rather have enjoyed the games in that month than waiting for the elite and not have any games to play.
    Same goes the PS3, id rather play my 360 now, and get a ps3 with decent games later than get a ps3 with no games of interest to me (except Resistance, that does look good! however itll still be available when i buy the ps3 right!)

Thats just my two cents. most of it probably doesnt make sense, as i tend to get carried away with myself and contradict myself all over the place :P

What do you mean my 360 won't play PS/PS2 games? Does this mean my hopes for my Atari 2600 games in HD are all for nought? Am I doomed not to play my Virtual Boy games on my 360 too???

Damn you lack of backward compatibility, damn your eyes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What do you mean my 360 won't play PS/PS2 games? Does this mean my hopes for my Atari 2600 games in HD are all for nought? Am I doomed not to play my Virtual Boy games on my 360 too???

Damn you lack of backward compatibility, damn your eyes!!!!

WELL THEN! I guess we're all seeing the 360's limitations now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm kinda left wondering if there's anything truly original left in mainstream games... sure, there may be some graphical enhancements and game tweaks here and there, along with one or two new things, but at the end of the day there's not been much in the way of groundbreaking games over the past 5 years... dare I say that in some ways, games are going a bit like mainstream music, which is nice to listen to and all that, but at the same time, you've heard it all before. It's the independant people that seem to be breaking new ground, as opposed to the mainstream, take for example Introversion Software who did Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon. They're indie, although to a slight degree they're mainstream, but there's still more originality in their games than a lot of the others.

I know I quoted a PC games developer, but they were the only non-mainstream dev that I could think of. That said though, the fact that there's the XNA thing out is a good thing too, especially with regards to the 360, though it does mean benefits for the PC too. The mainstream publishers seem to be more interested in milking their cash cows with their countless clones and sequels. It's kind of a worrying precident when there's the possibility that you get the latest 60 quid game, only to find out that it's exactly the same game as the one before... only with prettier graphics, although I guess it'll please the "graphics are great" crowd.

Personally, I'd prefer something with a little more substance.

Advertisement