Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose Tiles - can someone explain please?

Options
  • 05-10-2007 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem with the tiles in my bathroom coming loose. The set up is as follows:
    - wood floorboards (with extra plywood over this I think)
    - devimat underfloor heating (but I dont think this is responsible)
    - tiles (12"x12")

The tiles are making a crunching noise. A couple at the edge beside the bath (which only have a very small part of the devimat under them) were very loose and I was able to take them up (whole) with a kitchen knife. The grout around them had crumbled and they just came free from the "adhesive" underneath. None of the adhesive came away with the tiles.

My question is a two parter:
    Part I (a.k.a. who should pay for the repairs): I recently had a leak behind the taps in the bath fixed which caused some damage to the ceiling underneath the bathroom. Could this be the reason the tiles are coming loose or is it just bad installation?

Part II: What is the standard fix for this type of problem? I'd like to get in a professional, but I'd like to know more about it before I do.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Sound as though the tiles never bonded to the adhesive. This couold be evident by the lack of adhesive on the tile. You could take them up and re-apply more adhesive. It was most likely waterproof adhesive to begin with so the leak probably hasn't caused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beavisboy

for under floor heating flexible adhesive must be used. It sounds like ordinary adhesive was used hence the tiles poping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 szd

you def need flexible adhesive if the tiles are on plywood otherwise they keep popping up.

Advertisement