Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SJA - 1x01 + 1x02 - Revenge of the Slitheen [SPOILERS]

• 05-10-2007 6:36pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So did anyone else watch this? In High House Ixoy, this episode got our own Rassilon Seal of Approval.

The Slitheen plot was at least as intelligent as the World War 3 storyline in Season 27 - which says as much about the Slitheen as anything. Here I didn't find them as irritating as in that two parter, although perhaps more so than in "Boomtown" (I believe that was the episode). There was a nice tie-in for their motivations with those shows and I actually thought having a kid slitheen worked out surprisingly well.

The characters were good in this for a kid's show. The balance was struck well and the replacement for the Really Annoying Girl was far more tolerable - he got on my wick a bit at the beginning but really progressed in the second part. Making Luke feel responsible for almost destroying the earth, after saving it in the Christmas special, was a nice touch.
    Sarah herself was spot on - Elisabeth Sladen is good at showing her finely honed investigative skills and still, at the same time, only beginning to get used to kids - not asking to be called mum or hilariously telling the new kid to be quiet. Nice nods to the original series too - mentioning the Doctor, the Slitheen attacks of Season 27, and then "give my love to the Brigadier".

I think it showed real promise as a kids show set in the world of "Doctor Who" - it's far more effective as a kids show than "Torchwood" ever managed as an adult show. I'll certainly be watching it for the weeks to come.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I enjoyed it anyway. Quite humorous in parts. Not to mention that Maria's dad adds a bit of eye candy to the show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Thanks lads for the thread, I havent seen it yet thanks to work but my kids love it. Apparently last weeks one was very good as well.

Advertisement