Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stay or should we go???

Options
  • 05-10-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Myself and my bf were offered an affordable apartment with dun laoghaire rathdown county council, 2 years ago and that one fell through so we were offered a new one back in Dec 06 and we still dont seem to be any closer to getting into it!
    We are thinking of going down the private route now and i would appreciate any feedback as to what i should do!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The council will know nothing of you making enquiries. So work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JOJOC

Ok so here is the story -
    Applied for affordable housing in Oct 2005 was offered a place, accepted then there were major problems with this so we were offered another apartment in December 2006 - still not in and council seem to be fobbing us off with excuses since December 2006.

Now that the property market is the way it is and we have enough saved for a decent deposit should we stay with the council or should we go down the route of buying on the open market?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I've also applied for AH but haven't been offered anything.

Given the recent drop in prices and a change in my personal circumstances I have to say that I would probably reject an AH offer.

Mainly because it's likely that in the next couple of years I will be having children and I don't want to raise them in an apartment. And also the clawback is kinda harsh and to my view would make it difficult for me to move somewhere else if circumstances changed and I don't want to become trapped somewhere and unable to move.

Personally I'd rather wait and see what happens I've always been of the view that these things work themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Because of the clawback you're probably better off buying on the open market if you can afford to. Also it would be fairer not to take an affordable unit if you don't really need it, so that it can go to someone who really doesn't have any other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Also it would be fairer not to take an affordable unit if you don't really need it, so that it can go to someone who really doesn't have any other option.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

+2

i know ppl who need it, if u can afford it then go for the open market

Advertisement