Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experience of decent broadband

Options
  • 05-10-2007 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi,

no this isn't for ireland, sorry you'll find no decent experiences here.

over the last weekend myself, my partner who is dutch and our small child moved to holland, a small town about 100 miles from amsterdam. We were in need of broadband, on monday we applied online with a company called home.nl. on thursday,(yesterday) a large package arrived, including a modem, cables, and a wirelss router, it cost 69 euro and you get 40 back if you use it for 3 months. After setting it all up, it didn't work. called them(well the other half did as my dutch is ****e) and they apologised and said someone had made a mistake and not activated the modem, said it would be an hour. 1 hour later the internet is working, and my god, what internet. pages open instantly, download speed was pushing 900kb p/sec, and upload pushing 200. No limits and all for 20euro a month. this is through cable, and the tv cost us another 10 euro a month(there is no tv licence). Found out off the other halfs uncle that they are currently laying fibre optic cable in the whole of the town and in a year or so, you'll get tv, telephone, and internet all through 1 line, and they are talking 25mb internet at the very least all for 50euro per month.

i can't believe what we have to put up with back home and it shows how far behind ireland is and we'll probably never catch up, we seem like a third world country in comparison.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

we are Jimmy , and our government believes they are doing very very well at keeping it just that way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

i can't believe what we have to put up with back home and it shows how far behind ireland is and we'll probably never catch up, we seem like a third world country in comparison.

That's exactly what i think everyday ( from a french point of view :D )

I can't understand how such a "small" country like Ireland could be left that far behind :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

In France my girlfriend can get 24mbit line uncapped, aswell as over 100 channels of tv and free phone call and include line rental and all that for only 30 euro a month.

If I could speak french I'd move over there and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i will really seriously try to think about moving out ireland by learning french from now on....:cool:

Well my mother's home is about 2.5km from the exchange and we get 9Mb/0.9Mb.

You rarely get the 24 Mb advertised unless you live a hundred meters from the exchange.
    Anyway it's still better than anything existing in Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tonton-bob wrote:
    Well my mother's home is about 2.5km from the exchange and we get 9Mb/0.9Mb.

You rarely get the 24 Mb advertised unless you live a hundred meters from the exchange.
    Anyway it's still better than anything existing in Ireland :(

Sounds like VDSL, which also was introduced in Sweden, just before I moved 4 years ago. If you're with 300m from the exchange you'll get 24 mbit up/down, 1-3 km i think it's 8 mbit up/down and further than that it's 8/1 mbit. Cost over there is 40 eur for an uncapped connection with fixed IP, if you want.

/Martin

nope that's ADSL2+ (all the french ISPs use that technology)

VDSL is rare in France and "my" ISP is Free (Well known here i guess) and the best so far you can get with them is 24Mbits down and 1 Mbits up. The next step there is FTTH which has already started in Paris and will start soon in other cities.

Anyway i'll quit talking about things that make me feel homesick.

i cross my fingers and hope that i'll be able to get smart telecom :(

Advertisement