Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac the knife...

• 05-10-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Ok, I know we did a favorite knife thread before and a lot of us rated the cheap and cheerful Opinel..... but....... after reading the review in the Digest, I dropped into Petersons on Dame St today and had a look at the Leatherman hunting knives. Im sold!! This is a serious knife: the main one has a fixed blade and sheath and comes with bone saw, gut hook and sharpening steel. You could butcher a deer with it (so Tim Leatherman says and I believe him). A bit steep at €175 but then again you do get the lifetime leatherman guarantee. Did somebody say christmas present?!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

i must check it out. I have two leatherman tools already - crunch and needle noose pliers. They are worth the moment. I havent broken one yet --- and that says something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Yeah I have the multi tools, just go in for a browse and dont forget if you do break the knife or blade you can just bring it back to Petersons and they will replace it.

i was just checking the hunting knife on ebay - its a lot cheaper there. looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

alan123 wrote:
    A bit steep at €175
    For the love of all that's merciful, dont buy it in a store here. order online. I got my Leatherman Surge for USD80 when I was over in the US last year, it's EUR140 plus here....the blade is sooooo sharp, I'm afraid to even open it!!
    Ebay and all the usual places are sure to have what you're looking for at a fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

buck knives are really good quality, been using a "zipper" for about 4 years and its still perfect, got it on ebay for less than half the cost in ireland

• Advertisement

Lads

The leatherman steens is on ebay for €93 including shipping. I am going to purchase. Though you might be interested Alan123

you can get buck knives on ebay for way less than buying in a shop here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

I have had a buck 112 and a muela knife for the last 10 years hunting. cant fault either brand. both hold their edges brilliantly. not really fond of the gut hooks myself. i always found them to be a nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

revan23 wrote: »
    you can get buck knives on ebay for way less than buying in a shop here

True, got 2 x Buck knives for €91 from store in the states, Brother's Xmass pressie and one for me, priced one here in a dealers for €125

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Although they are nice why spend so much money on such a fancy piece of kit when your going to trash it if you use it for its intended purpose.
    I use these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife .The carbon steel is a cinch to keep razor sharp and cheap as chips so no worries if lost.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Survival-Field-Knife,-Frost,--CARBON-STEEL-blade._W0QQitemZ220156865794QQcmdZViewItem
    http://www.firesteel.co.uk/Frosts%20Mora%20Knives.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Got a Gerber off Bass Pro shop, it has a switchable blade with bone saw and a gut hook that works way better than any i have ever tried,and it is simple to switch even in the field with bloody hands, cost me 79 dollars, worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

still trying to figure out why you would want a carbon blade for butchering???

it looks more like a prison shank...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

the quality of the steel in these knives is such that you wont be resharpening it every second day whether you use it for basic work or splitting a breast bone. basically i think that ou get what you pay for and a knife is a very important part of your field kit. as for losing a knife its true that this can happen but the frequency of this shouldnt be a deterrant to buying a good quality knife

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
    I didn't mean to disparage your taste in knives in any way.
    Carbon steel is soft enough to sharpen easily and quickly in the field with a pocket size diamond or ceramic hone so it's ALWAYS razor sharp and the blades are thick enough to resist bending during heavy work.
    Sure they discolour, but that doesn't worry me and in storage it just needs a light coating of oil.
    But a word of caution, in my mind anyway, about Leathermans.
    I bought a basic model in the US many years ago. It was fitted with a small flat screwdriver that warped the first time I used it to fix "my glasses".
    Then I tried to use the wire snips on the pliers and ended up with it's cutters now having permanent dents in them that stiffens the pliers. The metal in the thing just didn't seem hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

durandal01 wrote: »
    Carbon steel is soft enough to sharpen easily and quickly in the field with a pocket size diamond or ceramic hone so it's ALWAYS razor sharp and the blades are thick enough to resist bending during heavy work.
    Carbon steel is on the verge of becoming pretty much a buzz word for steel products. It sounds much "stronger" "effective" etc than steel alone. But the reality is that carbon steel covers a huge range of steel types (im sure everyone here knows that all steel has some carbon). From memory various carbon steels range from 0.05% Carbon (soft, ductile) to 2.0% Carbon (hard, non-ductile).
    So two knifes could both be carbon steel and be very different.
    Carbon steel is also known as plain steel. It is nothing out of the ordinary. Its covers all steels out side of special alloys such as stainles, tool steel, HSLA etc

I can see the advantage to having a soft steel blade that is easily sharpened, but in honesty, I'd rather a high carbon or tool steel knife so that it would stay sharp much longer. And when needed I could give it a proper sharpen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Are the warranties worth anything if you buy from a random seller on ebay?

warrenty is with the builder of the tool, where you buy it shouldnt matter - assume it is not second hand of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

kerryman12 wrote: »
    warrenty is with the builder of the tool, where you buy it shouldnt matter - assume it is not second hand of course.

what he said if it breaks you should post it back to the manufacturer its the exact same as zippo lighters

Advertisement