Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychotherapy Courses??

• 05-10-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,
    I am considering doing an dip/degree in Psychotherapy.
    I have been told to search for a course that is IACP recognised! Im only 25 and i am afraid this will go against me? I have looked into courses in DBS and The Tivioli Inst. Does anybody know them or have any comments?
    Please Help Me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

First thing I would ask you to consider is what area you work like to work in e.g. private, child, addiction etc. Are you interested in any particular school of psychotherapy, Freud, Jung, Rogers, CBT. For example I trained in psychoanalysis and if I was seeking further training that is the way I would go. Before I trained I read as much as I could about various schools of psychotherapy and looked for what interested me. Work sends me on various training courses that are not psychoanalytic but when I'm deciding that's what I go for. So basically I'm say going for what does it for you. As far as I'm aware both of the above colleges are good, but their orientation are vastly different so make sure the one you pick is what you want. Finally a degree will stant better to you that a diploma. Don't worry about your age, I used to get your very young that was when I was 27, 11 years later I sometimes think I would like to hear that again:) Best of luck with with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

PCI College in Clondalkin also does Counselling/Psychotherapy diploma and degree courses which are recognised by the IACP. As Odysseus said, it's a good idea to do some research and consider what area you'd like to work in later, as this could have a bearing on what course you choose. Also, there might be other routes to your chosen field such as a degree in Psychology followed by a masters.

OP - I am currently in the second year of the DBS course so if you have any questions specific to that course PM me if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lou-cooney

Thank you so much for your help.
    I have put a lot of thought into going back to college and i have looked at many courses. Very interested in CBT, would like to work in a setting with children also. It really is so vast and all the courses i have looked into seen fasinating. I am also reading up on the main founders of psychotherapy as it wont be untill sept next that i can start. So i am hoping to have a loy of research done by then. Really enjoying it so far. Starting with Wikipidia for the basics. Dont worry i know i'll have to move on from there! Baby Steps and all that.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lou-cooney

Odysseus wrote:
    First thing I would ask you to consider is what area you work like to work in e.g. private, child, addiction etc. Are you interested in any particular school of psychotherapy, Freud, Jung, Rogers, CBT. For example I trained in psychoanalysis and if I was seeking further training that is the way I would go. Before I trained I read as much as I could about various schools of psychotherapy and looked for what interested me. Work sends me on various training courses that are not psychoanalytic but when I'm deciding that's what I go for. So basically I'm say going for what does it for you. As far as I'm aware both of the above colleges are good, but their orientation are vastly different so make sure the one you pick is what you want. Finally a degree will stant better to you that a diploma. Don't worry about your age, I used to get your very young that was when I was 27, 11 years later I sometimes think I would like to hear that again:) Best of luck with with.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I have put a lot of thought into going back to college and i have looked at many courses. Very interested in CBT, would like to work in a setting with children also. It really is so vast and all the courses i have looked into seen fasinating. I am also reading up on the main founders of psychotherapy as it wont be untill sept next that i can start. So i am hoping to have a loy of research done by then. Really enjoying it so far. Starting with Wikipidia for the basics. Dont worry i know i'll have to move on from there! Baby Steps and all that.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

lou-cooney wrote:
    Very interested in CBT, would like to work in a setting with children also. .

AFAIK, there are courses in CBT in UCC, Belfast and TCD. There's one in UCD on CBT for Children and Adolescents. You may need a professional qualification (eg Clin Psych, Psychiatry, OT, mental health nursing, etc) before undertaking such a course. Check out www.babcp.com the prof org for CBT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement