Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pygmy Hamsters

Options
  • 05-10-2007 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all, just a few questions on keeping pygmy hamsters!

I just bought a juvenile today, she's already checking out her new cage, so confident for a rodent! (Kept gerbils in the past and they were quite timid for the first few weeks)

Well, I was just wondering, can I supplement her diet with anything fresh, ie cucumbers or fruit, just to give her a break from the dry stuff from time to time?
    Is there anything in particular I definately shouldn't give her?

I got the paper pulp bedding for her (the big chunky one), and I quite like it , as when she digs it it doesn't fly out of the cage. I'm not sure if this bedding is good for her or not, the store owner told me it would be fine, but I have a friend whose hamster lost it's toenails because it was allergic to it. What would be the best bedding for her?

Also, can anyone give me tips as to how to keep her busy and happy throughout her life in captivity? Things like hiding treats around the enclosure, or giving her carboard tubes to play in and chew up.

One last thing, does anyone have any ideas for names? I'm so stuck as to what to call her :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pygmy hamster???

Is it Russian? Roborovski? Winter White? Not heard the term pygmy before.

Yes you can supliment the diet - Russians & Robos will happily eat millet & live bugs (they adore crickets & wax worms) A tiny amount of fresh fruit & veg too much will upset the tummy. Also tiny pieces of cooked chicken can be given.

Most dwarf species are happier in pairs or small (same sex) groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

http://www.hamstercare.co.uk/

this site should give u plenty of info, remember that while you have kept gerbils before, hamsters are very different. (although you seem to know that already :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I presume that you mean dwarf hamsters.

By all means supplement their diets. They tend to love crunchy juicy vegetables. Mine adore cherry tomatoes, carrots, peppers and broccoli.

Dwarf hamsters can be prone to diabetes so avoid sweet stuff and fruit unless that you know they are not diabetic.

Don't give them anything that can melt in their cheek pouches. (chocolate, cheese - just use your common sense).

There's a good list of possible foods on this Wikipedia page. It's about Campbell's hamsters but the advice is pretty applicable to all types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Ah, thanks for all the tips ;)

I wanted to buy a pair of female hamsters and the shop keeper would only sell me one, she said that hamsters are very solitary animals and they'll be territorial towards eachother (even if they're siblings) when they're older. I've read your comments and the webpage that was linnked and it seems that the dwarf (sorry, I mistakenly called them pygmies in my first post) hamsters are sociable animals. I don't want her to be lonely, but at the same time I don't want to endanger her health by getting a companion for her. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mawg wrote:
    I wanted to buy a pair of female hamsters and the shop keeper would only sell me one, she said that hamsters are very solitary animals and they'll be territorial towards eachother (even if they're siblings) when they're older.

Dwarf hamsters (even siblings) can apparently turn on each other. However, I've never seen it happen with the 6+ pairs that I've had. I've always bought them in pairs as I feel that they are more active than when on their own.

Sociability varies according to the breed that you have. For instance Winter Whites are more sociable and amenable than the Campbells.

I give mine toilet role inserts to chew on and play in. Just chuck it out when you change the bedding and pop in a new one. I've always used wood chips, but there is concern that the presence of pine in wood chips is not a good thing for hamsters. Whatever kind you use, just give her plenty as she will like to go digging in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Ah ok, well mine is a campbells (I think), but when I bought her she was asleep with two of her siblings (one of whom was white actually, though I assume that she was an albino cambells rather than a winter white). I'd love for her to have someone to interact with and sleep beside, she's so dwarfed in the cage by herself (no pun intended :rolleyes: )

Advertisement