Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accessing ul wireless

• 05-10-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

does anyone if i can access the wireless network from my own computer? i tried connecting to it and it connected successfully but i still couldnt open the page? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

you need to go to Internet Explorer > tools > connection settings > LAN > select "proxy" > "staff-proxy.ul.ie" for all 5 and 1080 for port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You probably need to setup IE or Firefox to use the UL proxy. The address you need is http://student-proxy.ul.ie and the port is 8080. I'm not really in the mood to explain where you find these settings so if you know yourself well and good if not I'll probably be in a better mood tomorrow and explain then unless someone else gets there before me.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Rory you are never in a good mood..
    I was actually gonna ring ya the other day about this topic too, but now you have inadvertently answered my question. Cheers!

In IE:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings

Tick the check box where it says "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and fill in student-proxy.ul.ie and make the port 8080. If you intend using other services like FTP you need to click the Advanced button and then tick checkbox that says "Use same proxy for all services". Either the student one or the staff one will work I'm not sure why the port number is 1080 on the staff one and not 8080 regardless it doesn't matter much just make sure you use the correct port with whichever one you use.

In Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings

Click the manual proxy configuration option and fill in the details required.

Don't forget if you've broadband and you're living off campus you'll need to change these settings back to what they originally were to be able to access the web again because if not IE or Firefox will still be trying to access the web through UL's proxy servers and won't be able to find them.

Cheers
    Rory

P.S. I'm in a helpful mood today don't ask me why because I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 neilae86

cheers lad, for all the info, i was cracking up without the net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rachymc

has anyone tried accessing ul wireless from just outside the campus? Im in dun an oir, and i know the salesian hostel have a reciever up in their roof pointed towards ul...

rachymc wrote: »
    has anyone tried accessing ul wireless from just outside the campus? Im in dun an oir, and i know the salesian hostel have a reciever up in their roof pointed towards ul...

If the Salesian hostel are getting their internet access through UL this could possibly be a microwave link pointed at the top of the library...although there's enough fibre throughout the Technology Park that there's probably no need for a microwave link.

To answer your question if I remember correctly where Dun an Oir is no you won't be able to pick up the wireless network in UL the power output for wireless access points is set at a low enough level so the range is limited enough i.e. confined to within a building and just outside it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i can get ul wireless in the very back arse of kilmurry.....dont know if this is intended or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 neilae86

i tried this but unfortunatly it didnt work? i live in elm park but i have a full 5 bars on the signal meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I dunno, was on campus last week and could make voip calls through the UL wifi network without having to adjust any settings...
    Am wondering who is running the Maraki network there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement