Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50" Plasma TV, DVD and Home Cinema Deal in Currys!

• 05-10-2007 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Check the native resolution , It should be one of the following

1920 x 1080 ( highly unlikely at that price ...if it is though , buy it )
    1366 x 768 ( Still 16 : 9 and very good )

1024 x 768 ( now this is common on plasmas and absolutely crap on LG plasmas , I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole , you would regret it. )
    Any other native resolution other than the first two , forget about it.

So , first two options , not a bad buy , third , rubbish , run a mile , and by the sound of the picture on that " pirate " DVD he was playing , it was the third one.
    As you said , make sure and bring along a DVD to try.

Oh , and this is important , if it is one of the first two and hence a good buy , you need a car that you can stand the unit up in , you are not supposed to lie plasmas flat for a journey ,( if it wont fit in your car standing up , have it delivered ) it can damage them , and keep the contrast low for the first few hours of watching or you get burn in.

Heres hoping its one of the first two resolutions and if so , enjoy your new TV.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

1049088 pixels ,

Thats a strange way to put it , but 1366 x 768 is 1049088 , which would make it one of the first two options its good.

Id go for it.

Make sure and verify that with him though , tell him you want to see the manual , it'll list in properly in there , usually near the back pages in specifications , and it'll be listed as " Native resolution " ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DelsFan

USUALLY, there is no free lunch. I expect the LG is OK, but not the picture quality of a Pioneer or Panasonic - but it costs less too. 15,000:1 contrast ratio on a plasma? I'm skeptical, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

As for the sound system (it sounds like a really inexpensive surround system), it can't be much for the price, but it would certainly be a sight better than nothing.
    For a budget setup that will astound, look at a lower end Denon a/v processor and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers. 60 watts/channel (all channels driven at the same time... and remember, many times a "300 watt" a/v processor is really a crappy 60 wpc processor, times five crappy channels) is plenty in a good processor, I think the Denon model number is something like a 3805?

However, if pounds are tight (and when are they not), the LG deal might be a good one.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alien18

Hi can yo tell me the make and model nmber of the DVD player please?

I think its this one:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1862436230.1191863224@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddmehkjiimcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=12&sm=1&tm=2&sku=173892&category_oid=

If it is it upscales DVDs to 1080i, wonder how good it is.

Do you think/know if yo put a HD DivX on a DVD will it still look nice and HD-ish through HDMI to the telly?

Does that make any sense or have I waffled a bit? Looking at getting this offer tonight or tomorrow. Quite excited about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barmy82

Sorry to butt in here Morbid angel, however I find myself in a very similar quandry to yourself!

I also visited currys over the weekend and was also taken by the 50" LG deal and was gobsmacked to hear my partner say that she was keen on buying it there and then!

We decided to do some research like yourself and have managed to find myself on this excellent site! We have decided that a 50" TV is going to be that little bit too much for our front room so are going to try to find a similar deal for maybe a 37" or 42". Given that my partner is (thankfully) a woman, she is highly likely to change her mind shortly and leave me disapointed - ain't that the story of life!

Anyway's to get to the point (at last) I'm looking for help and advice on what I should look out for when deciding and if anyone can suggest any current deals of interest.

To recap, looking for 37-42" flatscreen, a home cinema kit with decent speakers and a glass stand. Our budget is £1000, please tell me if it's unrealistic, as I would rather not buy anything than spend that much and regret it!!

Thanks for reading and hope someone can help! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hi Barmy82, welcome to our little spot of the interweb:D

Now it's over the price range you've set yourself but on the bargain alerts forum there is a potential deal in the making Link.I'm thinking of joining the list myself. It doesn't come with a glass stand but tbh €1,000 for all three I don't see it happening unless it's some package deal with mid to low quality equipment which you could regret in the long run.
    I took a gamble with a Technosonic 32" LCD HD ready set from Tescos for €400,again from a member posting on the BA forum. Not a brand name and if it goes bang I probably won't find anyone to fix it. If it was any dearer I wouldn't buy it cause it's not worth the gamble.Touch wood it hasn't put a foot wrong and for €400 I'm LMAO.

With any brands that aren't household names here ask in store who and where can repair them.Alot of new brands hitting the shops that are very good quality but just make sure the after care service is available.

Avforums.com is a great place to get peoples reviews of equipment,may not be exact same model no's due to digital tuners in the UK etc but it'll give you a good idea what you can expect from a set.

Happy hunting.:)

Advertisement