Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Pillman 10 Year Anniversary

• 05-10-2007 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I just realised that it's 10 years to the day that Brian Pillman died while reading the Wrestling Observer update. He's definitely worth a mention here

Pillman was such a gifted wrestler, he'd watch tapes from Japan and Mexico and incorporate a lot of that stuff into his style, which made him very unique in America. The earliest of his matches that I've seen were from around 1989 or 1990, when he was Flyin' Brian. He was very different from the other wrestlers in WCW at the time and the fans adored him. He was the first WCW Light-Heavyweight Champion and had a brilliant match with Jushin Liger at some WCW PPV, I think it was Superbrawl

He got even better when he was with Steve Austin as the Hollywood Blondes. They were never designed to get over with the fans, but they did just that and ended up getting split up because of it. They were the Wrestling Observer Tag Team of the Year for 1993

One match that I really enjoyed was Pillman vs Johnny B Badd (Marc Mero) from just after the Hollywood Blondes had split up. The match was booked to make Pillman look bad, in an effort to justify the de-pushing of him. It was to be a time-limit draw, followed by a long period of overtime, with the idea that Pillman wouldn't be able to carry Mero to a good match and in turn would look very bad himself. But Pillman managed to pull out a really good match that really got the fans into it and it was probably one of his best ever performances. I'm not quite sure what he was trying to do with the ending, but he proved something that night

His Loose Cannon gimmick was often entertaining, but at the same time it's sometimes uncomfortable when looking back at it. I've been watching some ECW from 1996 recently and he got some great reactions out of the fans with his performances there

He wasn't the same once he had his car crash, in-ring and health wise. He did get to take part in the main event of the IYH:Canadian Stampede PPV though, the only PPV ever to get 100% thumbs up in the Wrestling Observer. That was a great match

Here's a few videos of him:

Wargames 1991: Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bo2g_wcw-wrestlewar-1991-wargames-1_fun Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bo7z_wcw-wrestlewar-1991-wargames2_fun

vs Jushin Liger at Superbrawl II, 1992: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70jt_brian-pillman-vs-jushin-liger-22992

First appearance in ECW: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gaw0_brian-pillman-at-the-ecw-arena_sport

Hart Foundation vs Team Austin at Canadian Stampede, 1997: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuub2_canadian-stampede_street

Brian never failed to entertain me and he's certainly missed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

In many ways, he was before his time I think.

After watching his dvd I thought how much fun a Cena/Pillman feud would have been for the simple fact that they would have been 2 very polarizing characters that different segments of the audience would have rooted for.

The dvd of him produced by the WWE is definitely must see too.

Off topic, but can we start threads with videos in them now again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

His WWE stuff did not do him any justice at all. But that Superbrawl II match is unreal, as is their match at the first Nitro in September 95. Worth digging out if you can get your hands on it. The Blondes stuff is tremendous and never ceased to entertain me.

I miss Brian :(
    Brian Pillman: 1962-1997

VR!

Off topic, but can we start threads with videos in them now again?

Please no, i really hope not! When every thread starts with a video, it pretty much kills a forum, because no discussion is created and all it causes is each post has a link to youtybe or dailymotion.

Please no! :(
    VR!

It was never a problem on this forum.
    And it's not a problem now with the video thread there either ;)

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Threads with the sole purpose of posting a video are not allowed. You can post videos if they add to the discussion and are on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

great performer, will always be remembered :)

his debut on ecw in 1996 is surely one of the classic wrestling moments of the 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

talking of that date its 10 years to the day since Kane made his debut at Badd Blood in the HIAC match, its pretty much a testament to Glen Jacobs that he managed to keep that character in some ways over despite being given some AWFUL storylines (litas baby anyone) my favourite version of Kane was in 2001 when they treated him like an unstoppable monster, the royal rumble where he eliminated 11 guys was great

back on topic, brian pillman is missed, i was watching the loose cannon dvd the other day and his matches in wcw back in the early 90s were years ahead of their time, and the hollywood blondes stuff was just awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I have yet to get around to seeing that Dvd.By the sounds of it,it seems like its definitley worth checking out.
    Brian Pillman...what a charachter..........
    His run in WWE was anything but great.However his WCW was awesome.I could watch the Hollywood blonde's matches all day and still not get bored.Alot of his singles stuff namely at Supepbrawl is defintley worth checking out.
    He was ahead of his time in so many ways.I recently remember reading Austins book again and Austin mentioning that his mind was always focused on wrestling and how he could improve his matches.
    I would LOVE to still see him in the ring.Definitley died long before his time was up.
    RIP Brian Pillman:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

there was a brilent story on the steemboat shoot interview where he and shane duglas were fasing the hollywood blonds in a house show and there was a huracane coming so the audence all left bar 4 people just before theyer match so they come out to a empty arena bar 4 people so they have a 40 min match (thats work ethic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i hope fozzy doesn't give out to me for this but i just had to post this video of the RAW 10 bell salute to Pillman on the 6 October 1997; the camera focuses on Owen, rude and hawk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEXvzEkrms

That video also highlights how f*cking despicable some people are (its awful hard to shut your f*cking mouth for 10 seconds in respect of a guy who gave everything for this business and more)

Reminds of a chap who upon hearing of Eddies death, wrote on a yahoo messageboard; "well at least thats one less mexican to worry about". Good thing is nobody will be talking about this particular idiot in 10-20 years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

...10 years! It actually shocked me it was that long ago. Christ I feel old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A true innovator who was way ahead of his time. His matches still stand up to this very day and his series with Liger still rank up there as some ofr my favourite ever and inspired me to find out about Puro.

I miss him.:(

Advertisement