Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding,What range do they have?

Options
  • 06-10-2007 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Most likely an old question but what kind of distance can garda speed detection equitment get you at?

I have had several near 'gotcha' experiences the closest was about 200 mtrs i was doing about 160kmph but managed to get down to about 130 when passing the point of the check,as i said i have had several near misses at pretty close range so whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, a laser gun can get you up to 1,000m out. At longer ranges, it's probably down to the skill of the operater and whether they're using a tripod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

1km.

So they will deffo see you before you see them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most likely an old question but what kind of distance can garda speed detection equitment get you at?

I have had several near 'gotcha' experiences the closest was about 200 mtrs i was doing about 160kmph but managed to get down to about 130 when passing the point of the check,as i said i have had several near misses at pretty close range so whats the story?
    If you didn't spot gardai 200m away what were you doing 160km/h for?

I'm not one to criticise people speeding but I tend to do so within reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

kbannon wrote:
    If you didn't spot gardai 200m away what were you doing 160km/h for?

I'm not one to criticise people speeding but I tend to do so within reason!

Because he's watching the road and not the scenery?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My understanding of watching the road whilst driving involves watching everything around you and not just whats between the edges of the tarmac!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was always under the impression, and I got this from some Gardai, that once you see them they have you. The guns have got a long range and very tight beam, which is why the laser detectors don't really work. By the time you've reacted to the warning they will have got your speed as the beam isn't bigger then a car in front of you like the radar used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

The most A garda will get out ot the hand held is approx 700metres.

The laser guns that are placed on tripods are far more accurate more than 1km away.

Just remember that if u are speeding it may not always be safe for a garda to stop u and in the interests of his and other road users safety it would be safer to let u speed by. Ya i know a ****er gets away with speeding but there will be another one here in about 4 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Because he's watching the road and not the scenery?
    Simply watchin the road whilst doing 160 would be asking for trouble.

MrP

Advertisement