Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamilton shocking

• 06-10-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

I wonder will ITV mention this piece of skill :

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbhnrN4Svw

Sterling Moss and Jackie Blinkers Steward say it was ok (maybe because of the BRDC click)

* the link seems to be taken down every few minutes, so type Hamilton Japan into youtube

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Actually don't see an issue with it, he was accelerating and braking to keep his brakes in good condition, the safety car was extremely slow through the section, hamilton took a long line around the corner, maybe letting the safety car open a gap back up, he didn't stop just slowed. In the same camera shot Massa takes a wide line too. Vettel was at fault, but Webber shouldn't really have pulled up so suddenly, all he had to do was take the corner and then let Hamilton back passed him, they were on different lines around a very wide corner and webber overreacted, vettel was caught out watching hamilton and not anticipating webber stopping in front of him.

Hamilton was driving controlling the gap to the safety car and controlling the gap to webber. Its up to webber and vettel to look after themselves and not slam on the brakes or be too close to the car in front. Sure if Hamilton had driven different it mightnt have happened, but watching it he was keeping a reasonable distance from the safety car and not braking in an area where webber would run into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

First of all your not meant to be 5 lengths away from the SC at anytime, which he clearly was. In the wet your not allowed break test the car behind you. So he was either trying to get Webber to overtake to get a penalty,or trying to make a crash or he is just an idiot. His break test (warming of brakes) caused mayhem behind as other drivers had to move infront of the guys ahead all down the field. This clip is one example, he did it loads of times. He let the sc pull away then sped up right behind and locked up as if it was green racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

FrostyJack wrote:
    First of all your not meant to be 5 lengths away from the SC at anytime, which he clearly was. In the wet your not allowed break test the car behind you. So he was either trying to get Webber to overtake to get a penalty,or trying to make a crash or he is just an idiot. His break test (warming of brakes) caused mayhem behind as other drivers had to move infront of the guys ahead all down the field. This clip is one example, he did it loads of times. He let the sc pull away then sped up right behind and locked up as if it was green racing.

I agree it was stupid. It was naive and showed his inexperience.

Doesnt take away from the fact that he is an extraordinarily gifted driver. Shame he is English and drives for McClaren becuase he seems such a special talent and god knows what heights he will reach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

eolhc wrote:
    but Webber shouldn't really have pulled up so suddenly, all he had to do was take the corner and then let Hamilton back passed him

But that would be against the rules - Michael Schumacher very nearly lost the 1994 championship for doing it at Silverstone when they excluded him from the race and banned him for a further two when he did it.

I agree Hamilton was at fault here. I feel sorry for Webber because he could have won that race.

I didn't think that particular chicane was the worst example of Hamilton's driving behind the safety car though, he was pretty poor in both safety car stints, constantly speeding up and slowing down and bunching everyone. It's a tactic that's crept into F1 in the last couple of years, as Alonso does it constantly. Hamilton was even more blatant though in this race and its something I hope the FIA take steps to stamp out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

steviec wrote:
    I didn't think that particular chicane was the worst example of Hamilton's driving behind the safety car though, he was pretty poor in both safety car stints, constantly speeding up and slowing down and bunching everyone. It's a tactic that's crept into F1 in the last couple of years, as Alonso does it constantly. Hamilton was even more blatant though in this race and its something I hope the FIA take steps to stamp out.

Yes, dirty tricks, doesnt it make you pine for the old days of Schumacher and noble driving:rolleyes:

Im not here to defend anyones driving...I think what Hamilton did was wrong, but who do you think your fooling Stevie? How many times have you defended Schumacher after a similiar incident.

The fella wants to win, and he is pushing the rules to the max(even breaking them) in order to do it. I think that is wrong. But it was also wrong when Schumacher(and Senna for that matter) did it. Enough with the double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

steviec wrote:
    But that would be against the rules - Michael Schumacher very nearly lost the 1994 championship for doing it at Silverstone when they excluded him from the race and banned him for a further two when he did it.

I agree Hamilton was at fault here. I feel sorry for Webber because he could have won that race.

That wasn't a safety car situation with schumacher, it was a parade lap. I don't think the fia would have had any issue, given the conditions, if a driver overtook and then gave the place back, alonso even said in thursdays press conference he overtook hamilton two or three times during the first safety car and Webber said he overtook jenson

As for the five car length rule, it's a rule it's written down, but I can't remember a driver being punished for opening up a gap of more than 5 car lengths and it seems in every safety car incident on a dry track at speed cars will always open up a gap of more than 5 car lengths at some point
    one example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6c_kowj7Ic
    edit: even clearer example hows is unrealistic to follow 5 car lengths behind

In my eyes hamilton was keeping pace with the safety car. Some other drivers were complaining about the inconsistent pace, from what I could see it was mainly due to the limits of the safety car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I saw no wrong with this at all. When Whinger, sorry Webber had something to complain about he took the chance. He was quiet after the race !!!!!!

I have not missed a formula 1 race since 1998 ( i swore, to myself, after 1997 i would never miss a race again). So i love formula one. (Although i reckon the IRL is awesome right now.) Anyway I swore to myself that if Hamilton was penalized this weekend i would stop watching Formula one cause i saw no wrong with what happened and am puzzled as to how some people would see wrong been done here.
    Hamilton got to close to the safety car, it slowed down, it was raining people. So hamilton pulled out right to avoid the safety car. When he was out wide he most likely was thinking ' oh god, i better no lose it here and better not throw my race away, i better take it easy. i would look stupid if that were to happen '

What was the point of a meeting about this. Just because of some formula one driver says so. This formula one driver walks and talks like a great formula driver, but he is not, well, not great, He may be good , but not great. The complete opposite to this guy is Nick Hiedfeld , Heidfeld walks and talks like a bad bad driver with zero confidence, but yet he is a great driver, unlike this whinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

i wish everyone would stop whingeing about this, he won the race fair and square, webber only changed his tune when he realised he could put the blame on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

even clearer example hows is unrealistic to follow 5 car lengths behind
    point taken, though I never said it was never broken before just saying that the rules were broken in this incident (title winning incident).
    I have not missed a formula 1 race since 1998 .....Hamilton got to close to the safety car, it slowed down, it was raining people. So hamilton pulled out right to avoid the safety car.

You never missed a race, but have you ever driven a car? He let the safety car pull away then flew right up behind it (why?), then (possible lost traction) slowed to almost a dead stop (in terms of a formula one car) then Webber the so called whinger (ironic when Alonso and Hamilton are quite clearly the 2 biggest whingers on the grid) had to stop too, Vettel maybe should have been able to react in time but it was dangerous anyway. What if more cars like Kimi or Alonso were taken out, would you question it then. Please take the blinkers off and watch the video again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

FrostyJack wrote:
    point taken, though I never said it was never broken before just saying that the rules were broken in this incident (title winning incident).

You never missed a race, but have you ever driven a car? He let the safety car pull away then flew right up behind it (why?), then (possible lost traction) slowed to almost a dead stop (in terms of a formula one car) then Webber the so called whinger (ironic when Alonso and Hamilton are quite clearly the 2 biggest whingers on the grid) had to stop too, Vettel maybe should have been able to react in time but it was dangerous anyway. What if more cars like Kimi or Alonso were taken out, would you question it then. Please take the blinkers off and watch the video again.

the safety car was going a wee bit too slow through the corner, hamilton had to slow down and veer off to the right, then he saw the other eejits colliding and avoided it

GET OVER IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I did not have to watch it again. But i did. Blinkers off. My opinion is still the same.

I have driven go-karts loads of times. I have even driven go-karts in the rain too, loads of times. They say that driving a go-kart is like driving a F1 car and if that is so that is how i know what Hamilton was thinking when he drifted out wide. I know the feeling when you really want to win the race ( for a trophy ) and you are so scared of going off. It is an awful feeling. I know what it is like to drift wide ( in the rain) and end up in the grass and i know what it is like to drift wide ( in the rain) and how careful you must be so you do not end up in the dirt and brake something in the man's go-kart. I am not a pro go-karter, i go-kart for fun and i love driving them in the rain. Although i have never driven behind a safety gp-kart, just had to deal with local yellow flags. General gist is i know what Hamilton was thinking at the time he drifted wide, i have been in the same. boat before.

Kimi, Alonso or whoever ..... this was a racing thing that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

steviec wrote:

Have to agree, this was'nt the worst example of his antics behind the safety car and yet it caused an accident, which just shows how dangerous his antics were before this.
    Personally I think what he did behind the safety car were quite dangerous. He thought he was beening clever and I think he was playing to the gallery a bit.
    His puppy dog excuse about being disillusioned with the sport after hearing about the inquiry was sickening.
    However I think it was the right decision not to penalise him for this particular incident. I think he should have been given a formal warning for his safety car performance in general.

Advertisement