Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ERROR: NTFS partition is hibernated

• 06-10-2007 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to dual boot PCLinuxOS with Windows XP on my IBM T60p. I ran into problems with the partition resizing tool built into PCLinuxOS so I decided to download GParted and try to resize my partition using that. But I get the exact same problem with GParted. The error that it gives me is:
    ntfsresize v1.13.1.1 (libntfs 9:0:0)
    ERROR(1): Opening '/dev/sda1' as NTFS failed: Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is hibernated. Windows must be resumed and turned off
    properly, so resizing could be done safely.

The command it issues that creates this error message is:
    ntfsresize -P --force /dev/sda1

As you might have imagined I have started up Windows and shut it down cleanly before trying the repartitioning tool. I repeated this about 3 times but I always get the same error. I had a google around but haven't found anything useful. The problem must not be just got to do with PCLinuxOS since GParted spits out the same error.

Any ideas here? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Solved this 'problem'. Just thought I'd let anyone else encounters it know. I just went into Windows and disabled hibernation in the control panel. Resizing the partition worked fine then. Can't understand why this worked since I never hibernated the computer at all so don't know why it showed up as been hibernated. Think it may have something to do with the space windows assigns to the hibernation function regardless of whether the computer is hibernated or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bman wrote:
    Solved this 'problem'. Just thought I'd let anyone else encounters it know. I just went into Windows and disabled hibernation in the control panel. Resizing the partition worked fine then. Can't understand why this worked since I never hibernated the computer at all so don't know why it showed up as been hibernated. Think it may have something to do with the space windows assigns to the hibernation function regardless of whether the computer is hibernated or not.

I'd say you are right - there is a hibernation file, hibfil.sys or something like that in Windows. Even though you have never hibernated, it is still created. Presumably the resize couldn't move that file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

tom dunne wrote:
    I'd say you are right - there is a hibernation file, hibfil.sys or something like that in Windows. Even though you have never hibernated, it is still created. Presumably the resize couldn't move that file.

Yep, I read about that file somewhere while trying to sort out the problem. Never encountered it before but this is the newest computer I've ever installed Linux on so maybe its only an issue with newer computers. Also, I enabled hibernation again after the partitioning and it had no problems so all's good.

Advertisement