Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been truly terrified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sarky wrote:
    I once lost control of my buoyancy on a training scuba dive in Killary harbour and plummeted 40 metres below the surface (15-20 metres was the limit for training with CFT), into pitch black, freezing water, where I promptly panicked and forgot how to do anything except signal that I was cold and couldn't breathe. If not for the dive leader managing to find me and throw away my weight belt, I would have died. That was easily the most frightening thing I have ever experienced. Although getting to the compression chamber in UCHG from the arse-end of Mayo in 20 minutes by car runs a close second.

:eek: :eek: Killary to Galway in 20 minutes? :eek:

You East Coast people don't appear to realise the significance of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

littlebug wrote:
    :eek: :eek: Killary to Galway in 20 minutes? :eek:

You East Coast people don't appear to realise the significance of this!

I thought the same thing,i reckon he was must still have been woozy ;) 20 mins? Not a chance, more like 60 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've had a few scary experiences, but the absolute worst was one night a few years ago.
    I had moved to a new town the year before, and was living a small place by myself. After a few months, I started receiving letters and 'gifts' - unsigned, no return address - on my doorstep.
    One night, the phone rang several times with only heavy breathing on the other end. There were also some knocks at the door, and when I looked out the window to see who was knocking no one was there.
    Finally, I went to bed. I wasn't quite asleep when I heard the doorknob of my front door jiggle. I was absolutely terrified, couldn't move. A few minutes later, the door opened and I heard someone walk in.
    I got out of bed - my legs were shaking - and opened my bedroom door. A man I had never seen before was standing in the living room. Apparently, it was the man who'd been stalking me for months.
    Needless to say, it was a really, really, terrifying experience, especially when I think of all the ways it could have been worse.

Jebus :eek: what happened next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

zaph wrote:
    You work for Starfleet? :confused:

I was wondering if anybody else had spotted that.

[nerd mode]That would have been a transporter - he said teleporter ;) [/nerd mode]

JK - nerd mode is never off.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

padi89 wrote:
    I thought the same thing,i reckon he was must still have been woozy ;) 20 mins? Not a chance, more like 60 mins.

Well, it could have been 30. That driver slowed down for nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

In one of the head shops in town, we rather stupidly decided to try BZP (a legal because its not yet banned substance half similiar to ecstasy)

Went to my mates, took them, started coming up after 3 hours, it was nice, not nearly as energetic as the real thing but still, pretty cool, at times it was like being really chilled stoned.

Effected us in 2 different ways. I completely crashed knackered by 1:30, he got severely paanoid about a wide variety of things, i was convinced he was going to kill me due to his increasingly bizarre and paranoid ranting, and he was convinced I was sending texts to other mates making fun of him :D (we laugh about it now, but when you are cowered in a bed with your mate leaning down 3 feet from your head saying x y and z people "are nothin but a bunch of back stabbing bastards" it wasnt a laughing matter at the time :eek: ). I had no credit to leave and he wouldnt let me ring a taxi on his phone, "YER NOT LEAVIN ME HERE ON MY OWN LIKE THIS!!" (the sh1t causes muscle tightness, he lost all feeling in one leg and was convinced he would be disabled for life)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

The Gopher that was one of the funniest stories ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I suppose the fact that I actually don't have one is a good thing....but all of yours are freaking me out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nothing worse than a night terror (the ultimate nightmare). Experienced one a few days after a real self-defense encounter. Except in the dream he was not only drunk, but as big, strong, aggressive, and ugly as King Kong!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Yeah, I had this horrible realistic dream where my father had died, and couldn't move for half an hour when I woke up until I heard him get up because I was too afraid it was true. Thankfully, I only had it the once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

littlebug wrote:
    Jebus :eek: what happened next?

Yeah...ya cant just finish a story with no proper ending!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Scariest was havin sleep paralysis, happened 3 times, although the last time [last week] I knew wha happened so it wasnt as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yes, in the immediate aftermath of the death of loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Niamho! wrote:
    Yeah...ya cant just finish a story with no proper ending!! lol

Sorry! The most terrifying part was the first post though. The rest is rather anti-climatic.
    The guy was drunk and said he just wanted to talk. Since the initial scare had happened, I started thinking of the best way to get out of the situation safely. He started rambling about his sexual fantasies and how we were meant to be, going on and on. I interrupted him and told him I had phoned the police when I heard him come in (I hadn't), and that they were on the way. I told him he needed to leave. He looked really shocked, like he couldn't believe I would call the police on him. He asked why I called them, and I told him because he was a stranger and he'd broken in my home in the middle of the night. And he started in on how we had a connection, and I said, I'm sorry, but I don't know you, and repeated that the police were on the way, and if he didn't want to be arrested, he would leave.
    And he left.
    It was a really weird, fcuked up night, and somehow I avoided something terrible happening to me.
    I did report the incident to the police, but as I wasn't hurt, nothing was stolen, and I knew nothing about who the stalker was, there wasn't much they could do.
    I ended up moving to another town a month later. Never heard from him again after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

when on holidays and my two friends were accused of murder they didnt do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Back in January, I was on a dog sledding holiday in northern Sweden. We were crossing a frozen lake in convoy, with me right at the back, and things were getting a little hairy. The top layer of frozen snow we were travelling on was getting quite mushy and the dogs were having huge problems, their legs were going right down through the snow and were lolloping (?) along trying to keep the sled moving, when the back of my sled suddenly crashed through the snow, and I slipped off, but still hung onto the sled and was up to above my knees in freezing water. I thought I was a goner, but eventually my feet hit something solid. Apparently the way the freezing cycle works there results in a layer of frozen snow with 1-2 feet of water underneath, and then a layer of solid ice under that. Anyway, eventually the lead dog managed to pull the team off to the right a bit where they could get a better purchase, and all of a sudden the whole team managed to get pulling properly and pulled the fully laden sled and me out and onto some harder snow. I tell you, when we got back onto solid ground again, those dogs got the biggest hug they've ever had, real life savers. That evening, the guide told us that the previous week, a sled had done the same as mine but as it was colder and later in the day had got frozen into the ice, and it took them 3 hours of hacking away in the dark with axes to free it, so I suppose we got of lightly that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

james123 wrote:
    when on holidays and my two friends were accused of murder they didnt do

I'd say that was slightly more terrifying for your friends!

Only time I was truly scared was when I crashed a car - hit black ice on a bend, flipped right over 360 degrees and landed in a ditch. For about 2 seconds I thought I was about to die. If I hadn't been wearing the seatbelt I'm pretty sure I would have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Being arrested was fairly scary, at first it was scary because I didn't know these guys where guards (they bust into the house of a guy I was buying smoke off) I asked who they where and they said "who do you think we are?" smiling at first I thought they where from a gang come to do yourman over. I was actually relieved when they finally said they where cops. I was questioned for six hours which wasn't to bad had a great debate over smoke with the arresting officers. The cell they put me in was covered in blood and ****, I got to see the last occupent on the way out covered in blood. All the guards where very business and civil servant like which kindof made the whole process less scary but two cops would routinely come into my cell calling me all sort of names and telling me what the judge should do to me. The court wasn't so much scary as embarrassing don't want to ever go through that again.

I had a close call in the car on a road I know well. I was coming up to the crest of a hill on a road I know very well doing about 70mph. When I got to the top I could see a car on my side of the road over taking a line of cars. There was a t junction just at the crest of the hill, I braked and dipped into the turn off just as he went past. I don't know how I got away with it the turnoff was a small country road so not that wide I was probably still doing 55-60mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Night-terrors / sleep paralysis would be the worst thing that's happened to me in recent times; that pressure on your chest, the lucid yet unable to move feeling, did I imagine a figure over me? It seemed to last an age and was utterly terrifying.

But awake, I suppose when I was a child the constant fear of ET bursting through my curtains at night would have been up there. He haunted my nightmares for years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

mmm yeah a few times.

was down the stable yard by myself one night and it was pitch dark as the lights were broken and I needed to get something of the shed. Told myself to cop on and stop being so chicken but when I opened the door something flew out and smacked me in the chest! It was a stray cat that must have gotten trappped in there when the door was shut but I was shaking afterwards!

Another time, I was at a show when my horse got a fright and took off. The show grounds was beside a dual carraigeway and no gates were closed. She bolted out onto the road , and down the dual carraigeway the wrong way. I was terrified she had killed herself and even worse possibly caused a car smash and killed people. I couldnt see what was happening as the drive way was about half mile long I was running to try and get to the road.
    I have never been so scared. By some miracle she ran on the hard shoulder and stopped at the traffic lights where a man caught her and brought her back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

mmm yeah a few times.

Another time, I was at a show when my horse got a fright and took off. The show grounds was beside a dual carraigeway and no gates were closed. She bolted out onto the road , and down the dual carraigeway the wrong way. I was terrified she had killed herself and even worse possibly caused a car smash and killed people. I couldnt see what was happening as the drive way was about half mile long I was running to try and get to the road.
    I have never been so scared. By some miracle she ran on the hard shoulder and stopped at the traffic lights where a man caught her and brought her back.

That's a well-trained horse!

Anyhoo........On a helicopter, flying back into Aberdeen from an oil rig.Always great excitement when you see land, and the first visual point of reference is the power station chimney.
    So, 18 of us sitting there, cruising at 3000 feet, all smiles & looking forward to the pub. Suddenly, it goes very quiet. After a couple of seconds the pilot comes on the intercom to tell us that both engines have cut out! "Tighten your seat belts, adopt the brace position & don't panic, we're trying to restart."
    Unlike planes, choppers have the gliding capabilities of a house brick. The rotors are still turning so we aren't dropping vertically, but we are losing altitude at a diahorrea-inducing rate.
    Pilot comes back on intercom to say he's still trying to restart- we can see him & co-pilot working furiously. Reminds us to adopt the brace for impact position, which, incidentally, is the perfect position to kiss your arse goodbye.

After what seems like an eternity, and a few failed attempts, the engines fire back into life. Still a few more freaky seconds as the rotors build speed & the pilot manages to arrest our fall, but eventually we level out at what we're told later is less than a thousand feet, and we get over land & put down in the first available level field.
    We all got out to wait for the rescue guys to arrive, hugged the pilots & each other. Congratulated each other that no-one totally freaked & tried to grab the controls or jump out a window or anything. No, we all sat there strapped in, thinking we're about to die. I suppose we were too busy to scream, you really do use those last seconds to mentally say goodbye to loved ones & regret your career choice.
    Talking of regretting career choice, none more so than the Chief Pilot, who, on his way to collect an award for his cool-headed recovery, was killed in a road accident.
    The cause of the problem was never identified & isn't relevant here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I've found in a couple of situations that I don't experience fear. Not for myself anyway.
    Many, many years ago a car pulled an illegal u-turn in front of my motorcycle. I went into autopilot and just dealt with the events as they unfolded. At no point did I think; "I'm going to die", "this is going to hurt", or "get out of the way you cnut" will be my last words. Just a zen-like in-the-moment thing.

Maybe I'm already dead & you're all just a figment of my imagination. Might explain why you're all purple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I had night terrors once, but not like the ones described above. I woke up, and I was perfectly mobile. I was just more terrified than I thought a guy could be, and for no readily apparent reason. I straight away started trying to figure out the origin of the fear. I'd gotten a taxi home, so I thought I must not have paid him and he was trying to smash in the door. There was clearly no car out front though.
    I ended up thinking that I may have attacked or even killed someone, so I was checking my clothes for blood and my knuckles for bruising, which was not present. Eventually I managed to convince myself that nothing was wrong and I managed to get my heart rate to level off enough to get to sleep. It was horrible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The one time I've been truley terrified, was when I got off the train at Glastonbury Festival. Along comes 2 policemen with a sniffer dog along the crowd.
    I remember thinking "God, he can't be a very good sniffer dog. Everyone at this festival, bar myself must be on drugs."
    Suddenly, he started sniffing frantically at me. The policemen pulled me around to a portocabin at the back.
    They proceeded to pull my bags apart, looking for drugs. I was feeling a little bit nervous, but overall quite calm, as I knew he probably wouldn't find anything.

Just then, one of them turns towards me, and pulls on a rubber glove....

And that, was the scariest moment of my life.

By the way, the glove was merely to check the insides of my pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Head on collision with both cars doing 40mph that sent me through the windscreen was pretty mentle...Good ol' shock kept me from gettin too worried though.

EDIT: How the hell did I forget panic attacks...Totally and utterly terrified...at nothing....great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

big b wrote:
    Talking of regretting career choice, none more so than the Chief Pilot, who, on his way to collect an award for his cool-headed recovery, was killed in a road accident.
    The cause of the problem was never identified & isn't relevant here anyway.

When it's your time to go, It's your time to go eh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Once, a few years ago I was camping with some friends and we pitched tent in the middle of this field, in complete darkness so we'd no idea how close to anything we actually were.

Sat around for a while, drinking and chatting until we decided to call it a night. Headed off to our tents (We had a tent each) and I fell asleep pretty soon after that. When I woke it was cause someone was whispering outside my tent, freaked me out at first cause I couldn't make out what was being said, except that it was being repeated over and over. Eventually figured out the voice was saying:

"Call your friend...Call Keith".

Keith was in one of the other tents. So obviously I was scared but thought it was some bizarre joke / dream and so I sat there for a while listening to be sure. Voice went quiet. I began to calm down a little until it started again and I could easily make out what it was saying this time:

"Call John"

Over and over. Panic set in at this stage so I sat bolt upright and immediately the voice stopped. I slowly opened the tent zip and despite being terrified and the darkness being complete I stuck my head outside.

Turns out it was only a skeleton that had escaped from a nearby farm. I nearly cried with relief and the following day the bunch of us had a good laugh about it.

Pretty terrifying at the time though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

chabsey wrote:
    Turns out it was only a skeleton that had escaped from a nearby farm. I nearly cried with relief and the following day the bunch of us had a good laugh about it.
    I think i'd be pretty ****ing scared if a skeleton was standing outside my tent in the middle of the night...and what was it doing on the farm? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

OMG scarriest thing off the top of my head! Climbing the sugar loaf last yr...walking along a VERY narrow wall....Really high and when you looked down on either side (waaaay down) were rows of nettle bushes! Have never freaked out so much! Sure if you fell you were screwed pretty much cuz we didnt even have rope or anything! I actually cried and refused to go any further...ha! Soooo scary...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Once after a night out on the beer (and a McDonalds) I woke up at about 3am and got sick. No problem there I guess and served me right for drinking too much and then gorging on chips.

But what was truly scary was I started to feel really faint and weak to the point where I was trying not to pass out as I sat on the toilet. It was even a struggle to keep sitting up straight. I was absolutley pouring sweat, I had to use a towel to wipe it off, my head, body legs and arms were all soaked. This lasted for about 15 mins. Such a weird feeling and I started to think during it what if this is is, am I about to just die here, at 3am in the dark, in an empty house, by myself. The last 5 mins was really scary.

But alas I am fine and went back to sleep shortly after that. Not sure why I reacted like that, come to think of it, hardly had a drink spiked do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

qwytre wrote:
    Once after a night out on the beer (and a McDonalds) I woke up at about 3am and got sick. No problem there I guess and served me right for drinking too much and then gorging on chips.

But what was truly scary was I started to feel really faint and weak to the point where I was trying not to pass out as I sat on the toilet. It was even a struggle to keep sitting up straight. I was absolutley pouring sweat, I had to use a towel to wipe it off, my head, body legs and arms were all soaked. This lasted for about 15 mins. Such a weird feeling and I started to think during it what if this is is, am I about to just die here, at 3am in the dark, in an empty house, by myself. The last 5 mins was really scary.

But alas I am fine and went back to sleep shortly after that. Not sure why I reacted like that, come to think of it, hardly had a drink spiked do you think?

LOL, Sounds like someone dropped a few happy pills in your drink and you came up on them while you were asleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

baraca wrote:
    What i mean is have you ever been so scared where you can't move, your legs are shaking and you just about literally sh*t yourself. Genuinely terrified.

Me, I don't think i have fortunately. Most scared i can remember being was at work one day standing next to the teleporter when the biggest rottweiler i had ever seen (owner of the houses dog) came out from the other side and just looked at me, ran at me then and just jumped up on me.. Didn't bite or attack me but when he ran at me i was shaking like a vibrator..

twice, first when i was about 11 yrs old, was out for a cycle in the coutry with my mum, we were calling to a house near to where she brought up, when collie sheep dog came running towards me, now never been a fan of dogs, and there was your regular farm gate between me and the dog, so i thought i was quite safe, this dog cleared the gate, ran for me leaving me screaming until its owner casualy walked out of his house to call it off me

the 2nd time was snowboarding in austria, thought i'd try a black run, had only been boarding a few days, but thought i'd be able to naviagte my way down safely, had just gone over the ridge, and forgot everything i learnt, i had the edge of the board cut into the snow, it the form of a step, frozen with fear, i had gone down to far to return to thetop, and it took me a few moments to get my composeure, i was half down before i could even start to pick up any sort of speed, and even then, that was on some of the more level sections, would definatly go again though, but might avoid the black runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My three most terrifying moments:

1. I used to be in a canoeing club and once when going down a weir i capsized and got caught in the white water at the bottom. I got spit out seconds before i drowned. I gave up canoeing after that. Since two of my best friends have drowned since then it was probably a good idea. Which will add context to my other two

2. I got a call from a friend about our friend who was in australia for a year. He said "i've got a bit of bad news about paul". To this day those words terrify me. He'd been swept out to sea and they didn't find his body for a month

2. The same guy rang me 4 months later about another friend of ours who was on a stag in england. He said "seems like deja vu at this stage but i've got some bad news about seamus". He'd fallen in a river while pissed and drowned.

i don't answer the phone to him anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

1. I used to be in a canoeing club and once when going down a weir i capsized and got caught in the white water at the bottom. I got spit out seconds before i drowned. I gave up canoeing after that.

Fierce dangerous things are weirs. From what I've read, the only reliable way to get out of them is to dive deep under the water and push off the wall as hard as you can. You will find yourself completely unable to do this if you are wearing a life-jacket, which is one of the myriad of reasons why I hate the things.

That's well rough about your mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

chabsey wrote:

Are you completely insane?

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you completely insane?

No. It just wasn't as scary when we realised what was causing it. Doesn't make me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i was rallying and we went over a bridge and the car went sideways i thought we were going to hit the wall and crash into a tree.. i started to shake and my voice almost went.. but got it back for the rest of the stage...

also first time i was in a car crash i though i broke my back.. i couldent move anything and had a really bad pain in my back... all i said to myself was move your legs move your legs.. and after a while i was able to move them... i was able to get out about 15 mins later.. i was the passanger and was rallying again but thank god i was in a rally car as if i was in a road car id be dead...
    back is still sore a year later but even so im rallying this weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

chabsey wrote: »
    No. It just wasn't as scary when we realised what was causing it. Doesn't make me insane.

Yes...but it was a skeleton...? A supernaturally reanimate entity composed of the bones of a human being...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yes...but it was a skeleton...? A supernaturally reanimate entity composed of the bones of a human being...?

Yes, I'm confused about this myself. Maybe a skeleton is another name for a type of sheep... that can talk, and knows people's names!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 SheenaD

i was mugged three years ago that was a very scary experience one i never want to go through again ! the ****er got away with my bag i had eveything i treasured in that bag !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 SheenaD

ah no bad language got it moderator my sincere apoligies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

He must be messing, if it was a proper skeleton then it wouldn't have the lungs/tounge/vocal chords necessary to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

unreggd wrote: »
    Scariest was havin sleep paralysis, happened 3 times, although the last time [last week] I knew wha happened so it wasnt as bad

I was gonna say the same thing. It's happened a few times so it's not as bad when it happens now cos I know what's going on, but the first one absolutely terrified me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

once I was out swimming in an abandoned cove on a lake in canada. I'm not the best swimmer, but myself and a few friends decided we'd swim from one side of the lake to the other. I hadn't judged the distance correctly and started falling behind the others, as I got within about 200 yards of the coast my limbs gave out, I was so breathless I couldn't even scream for help. I've always wondered why people who are too tired to swim don't just lie on their backs, well I couldn't, because I couldn't catch my breath enough to float and my body felt like a lead weight. I remember sinking and not being able to move my arms fast enough to bring my head above the water. I was lucky in that there was a sandbar about 9ft under the water, I was able to bounce off it for the next 50 yards or so at which point it got to about 6ft deep. I remember just crawling onto the beach and collapsing and my friends asking me why I looked so white, oblivious to it all.

The other time I was truly scared was flying into Edmonton airport, Canada in the winter in crosswinds, its a weird sensation looking out the window when the plane is flying sideways, about 600ft above the runway we hit some windshear which must of dropped the plane about 200ft. It was long enough that I felt light on my seat. I honestly thought we where going to just slam into the runway (I haven't sat at a window seat since) the pilot revved the engines and took off again, he did another circle of the airport then landed to an applause that must of lasted 10 minutes.

Just there a few weeks ago I was back in Canada out hunting with my wifes cousins. We where out pretty deep when we set up camp. Everyone had gone to sleep, I had had a few beers and needed to take a leak, I walked for about a minute into the bush, i'd brought my flashlight with but it died while I was going. When I was finished I heard this cracking of branches in the forest ahead of me, as the flashlight had just died my eyes hadn't adjusted and I couldn't see jack, then I heard another crack of branches and it was closer again. I stood there, frozen, I turned around and couldn't make out the camp. I heard another crack which was now to the left of me. I literally just started running in the direction I hoped the camp was, luckily the camp fire was still smoldering so as I got closer I could make out the embers. The next day the other lads said they had heard the cracking also and didn't even realise I had left the tent.

• Advertisement

He must be messing, if it was a proper skeleton then it wouldn't have the lungs/tounge/vocal chords necessary to speak.

What an odd thing to say. It was a skeleton. One that had managed to escape from a farm nearby, in and of itself nothing too strange there. What was scary was we didn't *know* it was a skeleton when we heard it talking. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I've had a few of those moments but the most recent was my first time kayaking. The flood was up completely and I only knew the basics. Only 2 of us on the water (do not recommend it) and I capsized going over the weir.

Now, with the weirs (spelling) it's usually easy, just go over and let the current push you on. But the flood being up, the canoe was sucked back a bit up against it.

So here I am, upside down, water beating against me and forgetting everything I'd been told about relaxing, releasing the straps and sliding out.

Heart never beated so hard before.

I'm at grade 3 now tho, so wasn't put off it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

1. I used to be in a canoeing club and once when going down a weir i capsized and got caught in the white water at the bottom. I got spit out seconds before i drowned. I gave up canoeing after that. Since two of my best friends have drowned since then it was probably a good idea. Which will add context to my other two

2. I got a call from a friend about our friend who was in australia for a year. He said "i've got a bit of bad news about paul". To this day those words terrify me. He'd been swept out to sea and they didn't find his body for a month

2. The same guy rang me 4 months later about another friend of ours who was on a stag in england. He said "seems like deja vu at this stage but i've got some bad news about seamus". He'd fallen in a river while pissed and drowned.

i don't answer the phone to him anymore

Only saw your post now man, similar experience with the kayaking - just goes to show you can't fcuk about with water.

Sorry to hear about your friends ... I lost a good friend through drowning this time last year. He should be looking forward to his 19th this weekend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

irish-stew wrote: »
    the 2nd time was snowboarding in austria, thought i'd try a black run, had only been boarding a few days, but thought i'd be able to naviagte my way down safely, had just gone over the ridge, and forgot everything i learnt, i had the edge of the board cut into the snow, it the form of a step, frozen with fear, i had gone down to far to return to thetop, and it took me a few moments to get my composeure, i was half down before i could even start to pick up any sort of speed, and even then, that was on some of the more level sections, would definatly go again though, but might avoid the black runs

I was snowboarding in this indoor place in Germany a couple of years ago. We were only there for the day but me and a few friends stupidly decided to try out the advanced slope (i.e. a steeper slope). was going down when i veered off to the left. i was heading straight for one of the girls in our group so i tried to trn to the right really quickly. Disaster. I must have hit a lump of hard snow or something because I went flying up in the air (friends told me i was at least 5 metres in the air) and landed down on the back of my neck. I couldnt move and couldnt breathe, I thought I had paralysed myself. I wasnt in pain, i just couldnt move. it wore off after about 20 seconds - seemed like forever though but I was still having difficulty breathing and was rather woozy. Ended up going to the scariest, most sterile and metal-laden German hospital which was an experience in itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Been really and truly terrified lots of times!

- Been attacked my two pitbulls and bitten on the face (wasn't truly terrifying as was fairly drunk both times) What was terrifiying though was being in a house that I'd been in a few times where the guy owned a very very vicious pitbull. I was warned not to go near the dog and whenever I visited I wasn't let in until the dog was locked out the back. he was pretty dangerous. Anyways, one night, I was in this house drinking and got fairly locked. Woke up on the couch in the morning wrapped around the massive drooling pitbull on the couch. Did. Not. Move. Didn't know what to do. Nearly peed myself!!! Stupid how brave people get with alcohol.

- In town after a nightclub when I was a teenager and was slutting around with dis guy I was keen on. His mates took it upon themselves (after consulting with, and getting the ok from on-duty gardai who were present) to beat the living sh1t out of this known convicted paedophile who wasn't from our town but was hanging about all the same. They knocked ten colours of sh*te out of the guy anyways while me and the BF watched. Thank god he respcted me enough not to join is as it was HORRIBLE stuff. He was unconcious and they were each taking turns to run up to him and jump on top of his head, digging the heels of their massive boots into his face, temples, crown with each blow. He was lying with about a 3 metre pool of blood around his head and wasn't moving! It was scary stuff, even my bf was cryin and he was no softie! Anyways, the lads left when they felt they had enough damage done(or thought yer man was dead) and I was given the duty to ring the ambulance. So I waited for about 20 mins for the ambulance. The place was like a ghost town but I took it upon myself to go and check if yer man was still lying there, dead, alive etc. It was down a long dark alley and I must say, that trip was one of the scariest moments of my life. I don't know if it was the fact that in my mind there was a dead body lying there, or if I was afraid of what he'd do to me, but I was shaking like a leaf, couldn't even cry until I got home, vomitted everywhere and everything when I got home - truly scary sh*te!!!

- Was giving my work-friend and her REALLY dodgy boyfriend a lift one day about five years ago (he was in passenger seat - her in the back) and I was in really busy traffic and they took it upon themselves to start fighting with each other - not arguing - FIGHTING. He thumped her into the face about 10 times, really hard, through the seats of my car and I was completely helpless and went stiff with fright. I couldn't pull over on the road I was on and was scared of my life of your man!! Tears streamed down my face as I looked into the faces of all the drivers passing me, hoping somebody could help me (how? I dunno...) My legs went weak and I thought I would crash or he was going to do something to me, or try and take control of the car - I really didn't know what to think but it was scary as hell!! Don't think I'd ever seen a man actually thumping a little girl with all his power who is half his sze in the face like that before, especially in MY company..... Pr1ck! She really did nothing to deserve it. As far as I know she dumped him after that but I didn't really keep in touch!! :rolleyes:

- Lying in bed one night I heard someone walking past my bedroom window (we live in the country) and opening and closing every door on both my father and mothers cars. I was STUCK to the bed, could hardly breath and was too scared to move as we never lock our back door! Think I eventually ran into my parents bedroom and slept on their floor.

- When some little hooligans kicked my next door neighbours door in. I lived alone with my daughter and was absolutely bricking it every time I came back to my apartment. Legs shaking, heart racing, used to be peering out through the blinds like a FREAK every few minutes. I lost hair and everything in those few months of my life, FEAR must be one of the most horrible emotions to live with on a daily basis.

- Went to a houseparty one night and the couple who lived there were having a domestic - its always very scary when you witness anything violent and the people who are being violent and unpredictable and there are kitchen knives around!

- When I was a kid, me and my cousin were up "exploring" in my grandfathers fields. We were in the middle of a field climbing an old stone wall (about 4 ft high) and a herd of cows/cattle came ad surrounded us on either side of the wall. I don't know ifI thought they weer going to eat me of what but I'll never EVER forget the fear! Another time I got chased by cattle, me and a friend, and I'll never forget runnings as fast as my legs would carry me and this massive heard of wild bullocks coming charging after us, downhill and you could almost feel their breath on your shoulders. i looked back and they were only a few feet behind us, was so terrifying, but thank god when we reached the gate, the cattle couldn't fit through the "bars" of the gate and we could :p:p:p

- Another time, I was in my friends house (we were about 7 or 8 I'd say and had just came home from school - no adults there with us) and this old OLD alcoholic tramp walked straight into the house. he was talking in a strange language (or so it seemed to us!) He was durnk as a lord god bless him, thinking back but I'll never forget the fear and trembling of me as I ran screaming at the top of my voice out of that house and straight down the road to the neighbours!!! I'd say I cried for a week after! Turned out, he was just lost and trying to get home, but for a little girl, it was just about the scariest thing that could happen.

- On a teeny weeny little rattly bus with a HUGE big black driver who drove VERY fast on the top of the Rock of Gibraltor, you have to do it just once but I'd never do it again! Again, was shaking all over!

- When I was getting stitces in an extremely awkward place, I think I got 147 stitches in total and there was a forceps needed (you don't need any more info) Anyways, the black dude had been stitching away for about 45 minutes and then he pulled on the thread to tighten the thing (and there was an audience also) and the doc fell back suddenly as he pulled, a nurse caught him, and blood spat everywhere and I got about 4 looks of "OWWWWWWWW EEEECCHHHH OOOHHHHHH YOU POR THING, and you're STILL ALIVE?!?!?" off different medical professionals and trainess who were present and realised, he'd only gone and pulled the "continous" stich the whole way through my wound and out the other side - PRICK!!! he had to start over- was the most traumatic and scary experience of my life. Truly thought I would not come out alive!!!

I guess I'm just a total scaredy cat but yeah, I've felt that fear a few times, and it aint good!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement