Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a car checked out

Options
  • 06-10-2007 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a used car (willl probably in Dublin). I was going to go the dealer route but private sale prices seem to be a lot more reasonable. The problem is I would need to get the engine checked over before I buyetc, wouldn't have a clue myself. Does anybody know if this kind of srvice is available (any recommendations)? How much would I expect to pay. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I think the most efficient way to get a car checked is in a garage. To check a car properly it needs a complete inspection, which includes underneath. This makes it a bit difficult to do on the side of the road. If it is done in a garage it will be cheaper than calling someone out. If you or someone you know has a regular trusted garage they may agree to do it.
    If the seller is genuine he will have no problem allowing a complete inspection and since it’s a buyers market he should not mind bringing it to the garage.

Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

www.carcheck.ie

Its not what you want but you can see if there is finance and such owed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

or try Urban Motors who recently launched this service in Dublin South : http://www.japshop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whereabouts in Dublin are you looking for a mechanic? For convenience, I mean.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 warthog_76

try these guys. Found them very good (car goes up on a full inspection ramp) and its only 99 euro for an inspection & roadtest
    http://www.carsireland.ie/pre-sale-car-inspection-service-dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭Archeron

The AA also offer a used car check as well, but I think its quite expensive. I've never used it, but I have heard good things about them.
    Be careful if you just pick someone from the phone book. I did this a few years ago to give me piece of mind, and the car I bought was rubbish. It cost me €3000 to get it roadworthy for fixing things he didnt spot, then I sold it at a serious loss. Even if its costs more, get someone reputable to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

esel wrote:
    Whereabouts in Dublin are you looking for a mechanic? For convenience, I mean.

Rathmines - but may end up buying elsewhere in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cw girl wrote:
    Rathmines - but may end up buying elsewhere in the city
    Suggest you try to find (by personal recommendation) a good, well-equipped mechanic that is local to you, and use him. It's great to have a 'local' mechanic, and, at some time in the future, you will need his services again.

Hope someone here can recommend someone, but also consider asking neighbours etc. who they use.

The guy I use is on the Northside (near the airport) - send me a PM if you are looking at a car in that area.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 42 B_Rubble

I strongly recommend http://www.carcheckireland.com/default.php. He is a guy based in Limerick. He will go anywhere in the country. It costs 150Euro. You get a full run down. He is pretty excellent when it comes to routing out con-men. Used to do assessments for insurance companies I think. Very quick to arrange check. Very quick to report back. He phones you after the check, then sends a hard copy.

Advertisement