Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dipping toilet of DOOM!

Options
  • 06-10-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

(*Edit: I meant 'dripping' not dipping in the title of this thread)

The toilet in my house is probably an antique at this stage (original feature when we bought the place) and recently it has begun to stream constantly down into the toilet bowl from the cistern. I did a little investigation and I think the 'flapper valve'(?) is the problem.

After trying to usual places (Woodies, B&Q) I tried Smallmans and they said that the toilet was at least 50 years old and that they hadn't stocked the valve in about 7 years. Only option being to replace the cistern....which isn't really an option as it's a cool old original feature that I want to keep.

I've attached a photo of the problem part and was just wondering if anyone knew where I might pick up a replacement bung/valve? As far as I can tell it's just a rubber plug but one that needs to be 2" which is wider than the ones they make today.

I'm thinking maybe a salvage yard or something simialr but before chasing that up I figured I'd ask here. So, anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I never seen anything like that before :( .

Try a salvage yard like you were saying ,but don't let on how stuck you are for the part. Try and locate a damaged cistern and buy the whole thing.
    It might work out cheaper.

Other than that ,try and fit a modern syphon inside the cistern .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

is that grit in the bottom of the citern??? It may be keeping the valve open if it has piled up? Maybe worth cleaning all that down, other wise the valve will not sit down correctly on the cistern and the gap will not close.

Advertisement