Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking Problem

Options
  • 06-10-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Having a really hard time trying to network 2 pc's at home. Have tried with a crossover cable which didn't work. Now im trying with a router. we have set up the pc's upstairs so I got my d-link router and have connected it all up (wired) One pc is fine it gets 192.168 address assigned by DHCP but the other PC keeps getting 169.254 address. I tried to connect it wirelessly but got the same issue.

Settings:
    Automatically detects settings - ticked
    Obtain ip address auto - ticked

2 machines
    one running xp pro new 6 months old -Working
    one runnning xp home 6 years old - not working

What we have tried.
    Connecting a crosover cable. - Not sure of what setting s needed to be changed for that .

Winsock fix
    release/renew ip address

If anyone could help it would be great, Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

does the port on the router go green when you connect the cable from the home pc in? if not try another cable

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Check the cable on the 169.254 pc, it's not getting packets from the dhcp. The 169.254 is what XP will default to when it doesn't detect any DHCP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

just an idea - check if they're both using the same workgroup e.g. MSHOME
    right click on the My Computer icon to get information on both PCs

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pduffy50

It shouldn't matter if they are not on the same Workgroup the router should still assign an ip address.

Advertisement