Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 won't start

Options
  • 06-10-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD from www.komplett.ie. I installed an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 2GB of DDR2 corsair memory, I started it up and everything worked fine, I installed Windows Vista on it, everything seemed to be functioning properly. I noticed that my memory was underperforming and decided to try and tweak the FSB and CPU multiplier in the BIOS to achieve a 1:1 ratio with the memory, here were the changes:

FSB: 266 MHz
    Multiplier: 9x

To:
    FSB: 400 MHz
    Multiplier: 6x

I didnt think this would be a problem, as the overall clock speed was still 2.4 GHz and I have heard of people bringing the FSB almost to 500 MHz.

I changed these settings in the BIOS and rebooted, the machine didnt start when I pressed the power button. My immediate though was to clear the CMOS and reset the settings back to normal. I tried exhaustively to do this, following all the instructions in the manual for clearing the CMOS, none of them worked, I just got a short flash of light from the power supply whenever I tried to turn it on (Note: I would have to turn off the power supply and wait until the red light on the board faded, turn the power supply back on, then press the power button to get this effect).

I tried leaving the CMOS jumper on clear setting overnight, removing the battery, ATX connections, when I tried to turn on the power the next morning, the power supply blew, this power supply definitely worked before as I tested it on another machine. I bought a new power supply, tested it on both machine, and got the exact same results, a short flash from the PSU LED when I tried to turn it on, but nothing more.

Is my mainboard dead? My best guess is that the chipset could not take the 400 MHz FSB and something broke, as I know the chip can take that speed, at least for a the seconds needed to get into the BIOS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

did you try it with one stick of ram ?

also try building it out side the case.with just the bare requirements.

try the chip in another board or try a diffrent chip in this board.

all in all it sound like the board is fried.does it give any beep sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I didnt try it with 1 stick of RAM, but I tried it with none, no beeps, nothing, I have it out of the case, with only ATX power, and a jumper on the power on button, no memory. I dont have another 775 board to test the chip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try it with one stick,gfx card.and make shure all power connections are connected.

I tried it with 1 stick in DIMM1, plugged a monitor into the onboard vga, both ATX connector securely plugged in, jumper on the power on pins. Same result, a short flash from some LEDs and then nothing.

Would it help anything to remove the cpu, and then try to turn it on? If I somehow managed to kill the chip, would I get a few beeps or something if that was the case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I thought that board was not fully compatible with the Quad's. i.e it wont run a 1333mhz fsb.iirc 280~ is the highest fsb that is useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I don't think you'll get anything at all without a CPU installed. There must be someone on here in Dublin 15 who'll test your CPU and RAM for you. Bright sparks from the PSU I'd have to consider as a bad sign.

Advertisement