Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications and personal development.

Options
  • 06-10-2007 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know If this subject has a written exam, or is the subject just purely a "continuous assessment" module?
    If there is no exam, why does the lecture resemble Leaving cert Business studies? *shudder*
    I find this is the only lecture I can't keep awake in tbh:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

its all continous assessment. I presume you have that american one leslie? i found it to be the most tedious class of the year. We got two projects, the first on teamwork and then the second is a random one chosen out of a hat (every "team" gets a different one and you can make new teams if u dont like how your last project turned out, just pray you don't get critical thinking and problem solving).

Basically this second project consists of an essay and a powerpoint style presentation to the class, but you can't just read off the presentation meaning you need to be prepared, or else have someone on your team thats incredibly good at bullsh!tting :p

I'd deffo recommend getting it passed though cos if you fail you'll have to do a repeat essay (on your own) next semester to be submitted around mid-marchish (although you get around 2months to do it). We were terribly disorganised and our whole team had to do it, was ok though cos i passed in the end anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

personal development

HA HA HAH HAHAH HAAH AH HA:cool:

Thankfully I was in the year before that was introduced, although we had something similarish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

god yeh it was known as communications when i done it, what a god awful boring class. that being said it brought out the funniest presentation i've ever seen.

i'm brought to tears even just thinking about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote:
    god yeh it was known as communications when i done it, what a god awful boring class. that being said it brought out the funniest presentation i've ever seen.

i'm brought to tears even just thinking about it. :)

Go on.......:):D

there was a presentation given to the whole class (only about 5 made it in though) and the presentation was on google and how the search engine works and how does google operate.

he googled "how does google work" and got this page: http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

he obiviously didn't read the part in red down below, me and another lad had seen this page a couple of weeks before hand as it was around the time of google's annual april fools prank and were looking at the older pranks they did.

needless to say we couldn't hide our laughter and the presentation was stopped numerous times because of this.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    there was a presentation given to the whole class (only about 5 made it in though) and the presentation was on google and how the search engine works and how does google operate.

he googled "how does google work" and got this page: http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

he obiviously didn't read the part in red down below.

ROTFLMAO:D:D:D
    How did he honestly not recognize that crap in the first place:confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It was just communications when I did it. 100% continuous assesment. Joke of a class.

orla wrote:
    It was just communications when I did it.

I wonder what the "personal development" bit is all about.
    Probably added to end of the title to make it sound more interesting or something:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Would you get away with missing a lot of the communications classes?

Spunge wrote:

I would imagine the possibility of just coming in for the assessments and leaving all the theory classes behind would be somewhat feasible.
    Such a BORING class, but I don't want to repeat this crap...ever:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Spunge wrote:

Nope, i think attendance is part of the continous assesment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Whatever you do don't miss the class where you get taught how to write a letter.

Oh, and then theres the one where you get taught to sit and even how to breathe.:confused:

iUseVi wrote:
    Oh, and then theres the one where you get taught to sit and even how to breathe.:confused:

FFS:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

at what point do you develop into a person through this course?

yep, you can't skip the class as its part of your overall mark, you could skip 1 or 2 and email her and explain your absense but thats about it.

I found that the classes were useless and didn't help in actually doing the projects at all. Pretty much the only thing which came in use was how to write up a bibliography (which is apparently a must on leslies projects) but its not exactly rocket science.

Also i can attest to the fact that the module does not "personally develop" you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

This class sucks my balls.

This class sucks my balls.

I can't believe the guy teaching this told us today we have a "written exam" in three weeks which accounts for 50%:mad:
    This subject does indeed suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Potent

Its like someone took a dump on the timetable and that class emerged from the mess....

Give me more programming goddamnit!

it's to write a business letter i think.

not terribly difficult.

Cremo wrote:
    it's to write a business letter i think.

not terribly difficult.

He told us today it is a written exam on all the theory we covered in the course and the book by gill and Macmillan.
    Mind you, he wasn't particularly pleased at the fact that only a handful of people showed up to Communication's on Friday.
    I don't like citing names but did you have Paul Gilmer for this class, or was it the Leslie chap Grimm2005 is on about:confused:
    I hope he can't just change the assessment on a whim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I had leslie last yr for comms in DT228,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Potent wrote:
    Its like someone took a dump on the timetable and that class emerged from the mess....

Give me more programming goddamnit!

This. Seriously. We don't have enough programming lectures. I ****ing love programming, databases makes sense, problem solving, while tedious, makes sense, business and management seems to be basically "What comms and pd should be", but comms and pd is a load of ****.

Here, who's everyone in DIT anyway? I know a bunch of people are from first year, I'm the blondie chap in first year who helped start GameSoc.

Naikon wrote:
    He told us today it is a written exam on all the theory we covered in the course and the book by gill and Macmillan.
    Mind you, he wasn't particularly pleased at the fact that only a handful of people showed up to Communication's on Friday.
    I don't like citing names but did you have Paul Gilmer for this class, or was it the Leslie chap Grimm2005 is on about:confused:
    I hope he can't just change the assessment on a whim.

we had leslie shoemaker (i think that was it), sounds like theyve taken a slightly diff direction in it this year (but at the same time just as ****e by the sounds of it) although the stuff your doing in class sounds much the same.

As for programming, its great that your lovin it randomcountdown as its the most important subject of the year (and the whole course pretty much) but i should warn you that it gets a lot harder very quickly so its important to keep up to speed with it or you'll easily fall behind (a lesson i learnt last year).

The second semester gets considerably harder, prolly more so for you lot as we had web development in the first semester but it looks as if theyve swapped web dev and databases around this year and web dev is a bitch compared to the fairly straight forward databases. Maths is a right bitch aswell but if you put a little work into it its easily passable. good news is algorithms is prolly easier than problem solving imo

Apparently, If you fail the "continuous assessment"(i.e the written exam!) for this subject, You have to repeat the entire year as there are no supplemental exams(in the case of DT211)
    Just to warn people:D

failing that would be the most depressing thing ever in that case

warning greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It's a fucking stupid subject. They shouldn't make it so that it's foreign nationals only(and by foreign national, I mean the Chinese), because if you can't write a letter or write a report by the time you're in college, you probably shouldn't be in college.

Binomate wrote: »
    It's a fucking stupid subject. They shouldn't make it so that it's foreign nationals only(and by foreign national, I mean the Chinese), because if you can't write a letter or write a report by the time you're in college, you probably shouldn't be in college.

Yeah, I have to agree with you.
    It's laughable that you can fail something fundamental like Algorithms etc, but fail this subject even once
    >repeat the entire year.
    Load of Bull****:mad:

what date is the assesment for DT211 ?

• Advertisement

31st October:(

Advertisement