Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the UDA will disarm?

Options
  • 06-10-2007 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I think its time the politicians got serious on this issue, as this person points out http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/letters/article3015877.ece

However I don't think its fair that Margaret Ritchie should withhold the £1.2 million earmarked for regenaration in loyalist areas as this is not fair on the communities.

Other measures should be taken to get the UDA to disarm and the money should be sitll invested in the community without UDA involvement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I tottatly confused why the issue of loyalist/unionist arms doesn't come up more, I mean even this story is more about the money for '[community groups' then the arms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have nothing to base this on other than my own assumptions, but I think the loyalist forces are less well organised and controlled than the likes of the PIRA. Maybe the UDA does not want to commit to disarming because they don't know where the guns are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can't seriously expect them to deal dru administer their community groups unarmed, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Maybe the UDA does not want to commit to disarming because they don't know where the guns are

You could well be right there Fratton Fred, but I dont think it's an acceptable excuse. The UDA must work harder to get the weapons and disarm.

Margaret Ritchie has now witheld the money that the loyalist areas were due to get. This is very unfortunate for the community, however, why did the UDA have to be involved in getting the money anyway, surely there are some better organised organisations that could disperse the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sure, the UDA will disarm :rolleyes: and just kill under the Red Hand Defender flag, as per usual...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

the_syco wrote: »
    Sure, the UDA will disarm :rolleyes: and just kill under the Red Hand Defender flag, as per usual...:mad:
    A scumbag will always be a scumbag. Just like the 8 scumbags who beat Paul Quinn to death in Monaghan at the weekend. These were provos according to the family of the deceased (who may have been up to no good himself). The structures established by these terrorist groups to fund themselves still exist. They are criminals who don't just 'switch off' because Gerry or Ian say so.

The only lawful body to administer justice in Northern Ireland is the PSNI, but they're not good enough for any of the children up there. God love them.

Advertisement