Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravesites in city centre

Options
  • 06-10-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

How many are there?

There's the Huguenot one near Stephen's Green. There's the one at St. Patrick's Cathedral, and some graves in the church itself. The ones at St. Michan's too.

What about Christ Church? I know there are plenty of grave stones and more in the vault, but are there actually people buried underneath?
    And while we're at it, something I've always wondered... is Strongbow's body actually in that 'coffin'?

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

There's headstones in the grounds of St Marks church on Pearse st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

St Kevins Park, behind Kevin St College has gravestones so presumably still has graves there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Dont forget Jervis Park / Plaza or whatever its called.

I think it used to be the graveyard for Mary's Abbey but I could be worng. I don't know what they did with the graves when it was redone a few years ago gut the gravestones line then wall at the Abbey Street end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

XJR wrote:

I think it used to be the graveyard for Mary's Abbey but I could be worng. I don't know what they did with the graves when it was redone a few years ago gut the gravestones line then wall at the Abbey Street end.

Yeah Wolfe Tone Square, you're right. The graveyard was sold to Dublin Corp. in the 60's and it is indeed the original headstones that line the wall near Abbey st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

XJR wrote:

I had wondered where those headstones had come from!

• Advertisement

Just did a quick search, and apparently the graves of St. Mary's are still under Wolfe Tone Square.

Also found this - http://goireland.about.com/od/parksandgardens/tp/dublin_cemetery.htm which also lists Arbour Hill, The Croppy Acre and, interestingly, the smallest cemetery in Dublin... Chaloner's Corner in Trinity. Never heard about that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Theres one behind Kevin street tech, and also one in the park behind iveagh buildings on kevin street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not city centre but very near, there is a graveyard behind the garda station in donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

not city centre but very near, there is a graveyard behind the garda station in donnybrook
    I think thats another Huguenot one afaik. Maybe wrong tho. Always wanted to go in and have a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There is also an gravesite for members of the British Army near the Phoenix Park. Somewhere around Islandbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Also one on James Street, behind the old converted church opposite James Street church.

And Mount Jerome in Harolds Cross counts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a Jewish grave yard in Ballybough. Right beside 'The Fairview House' pub (closed now).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Military cemetery opposite McKee and graveyard behind the old Whitworth Hospital (now National Council for the Blind).

I buried the baldy fella in Finglas last night :D

Mairt wrote:
    I buried the baldy fella in Finglas last night :D

Not city centre :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think thats another Huguenot one afaik. Maybe wrong tho. Always wanted to go in and have a look at it

It's not a Huguenot cemetery but it is a fantastic wee grave yard. Ann Devlin (Robert Emmets "mot") is buried there. The gates do be open from time to time.

May I refer you all to the publication "Burial Grounds of Dublin" by Vivian Igoe? Worth a read as there are some obscure places mentioned.

Exit wrote:
    Not city centre :mad:

Woops, did I say Finglas... I mean't Parnell St. & a golden shower on Golden Lane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Exit wrote:
    , the smallest cemetery in Dublin... Chaloner's Corner in Trinity. Never heard about that one before.
    Challoner's Corner is located between the Chapel and the Bank of Ireland office in Trinity, in case anyone's looking for it. When you enter through Front Gate, look out for the two large symmetrical buildings facing one another across the square. The one on your left is the Chapel. Walk over to the far side of that building, and the graveyard is down the ramp, on the left-hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

St Michans has a small plot too - but with some interesting residents ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a disused church on Abbey St,across from the old TSB and the 29a bus stop,it has a crypt of some sort to the left of the church(beside VHI building).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

There is a small graveyard at the back of St. Catherine's church on the end of Thomas Street and did someone mention Kevin's Street graveyard, you can visit that one on the ghost bus tour, pretty spooky!

Advertisement