Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gasgets + X-ray Machines

Options
  • 06-10-2007 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am flying to London for a work conference next week.

I will be bringing:

A Laptop
    A Digital Camera
    A mobile phone
    A mp3 player / memory sticks

My query is, what is the procedure for going through the X-ray machine
    at the airports with these kinds of gadgets? I heard that the machine can fry
    hard disks and circuts.

Do you switch the things on to demonstrate to the security personell that they are real
    functioning devices. or do you have to put them through and hope for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey good question. As far as I know the xray machine will not damage any equipment. The security personal will ask if you have a laptop and will take more care of it. You will not be able to carry it through the metal detector (but you wont want too- as explained below).

The hard drive in your laptop are magnetic and there is nothing magnetic about X-ray machines. It just uses light as a source. I would be more worried about carrying the laptop through the metal detector as that may give your hard drive a problem due to the strong magnetic forces in it.

Heres a good link that may be of use:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,69884-page,1/article.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, none of this hardware/gadgetry will be harmed by the airport security machines. You will have to remove your laptop from it's carry-case. Haven't been asked to switch one on in years (last time was traveling to the US, just after 911).

All hardware needs to go through the scanner, rather than the walk-through frame, so leave it all in your bag (except for the laptop).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

passed though london and dublin securtity today, left MP3 and mobile in jacket pockets and put though x ray,

took laptop out of bag to be screened seperatly,

have not been asked to demonstrate an electical device in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

thousands of gadgets are scanned on airports all over the world these days. i think there would be a big outcry if the scanners would harm them...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Does a 9' screwdriver count as a gadget, 3 weeks ago i passed through security with it in my bag by accident jammed down the bottom, didnt realize till I got to the hotel in the UK. :eek:

Never been asked to demonstrate ..they can see the guts anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 itrush07

Very informative! just droppin' by looking for tiny gadgets, nwayz i'll keep this in mind.

Advertisement