Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who remembers Sergio Conceicao...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Redondo was NOT the best centre midfielder of the last 20 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

okokok, last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Stan Collymore was some fall.

He could probably still bang in the goals in the MLS and get paid well for doing it too.

Seaneh, dont get me wrong, I rate Redondo extrememly highly - fantastic player, but do you really rate him above Zidane or would you not class Zidane as a CM?

I don't think of Zidane as a number 8 or a number 6 though...
    I see Zidane ad a number 10. Like Platini, Kaka, Ronaldinho and Maradona*.

As an 8 or a 6 (Keane, Viera, Platt, Albertini, Davids etc) he is right up there with the best of all time.

*Maradona was NOT a striker!

Stan Collymore was some fall.

He could probably still bang in the goals in the MLS and get paid well for doing it too.

I remember like a year back a few of us started a roumer around Athlone that he was having a trial, and a new crew and 70 people turned up to watch an u21's match, oh how we laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Archimedes wrote:
    Djalminha

Ah how could we forget? Another CM legend.
    Seaneh wrote:
    I remember like a year back a few of us started a roumer around Athlone that he was having a trial, and a new crew and 70 people turned up to watch an u21's match, oh how we laughed.

There was an interview with him in the paper around this time last year where he reckoned he was back fit enough for the PL and that everyone should watch out because he was going to be back playing in Jan. Guess he must not have checked his post when the contracts started rolling in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

overmars

i know it was injury, but still retired at 31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Tony Yeboah... played out his days in the far off land of germany Wiki

Djemba x2

Jesper Blomqvist OBE Wiki

Titus Bramble never lived up to his Champ Manager hype either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I know its hardly a big name but what happened the kid something samba that all the top clubs wanted a few years back he was only 15/16 then so only about 20 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cherno Samba? He's playing for Plymouth now, after going to Cadiz for a bit. Only scored one goal according to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno_Samba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Cherno Samba? He's playing for Plymouth now, after going to Cadiz for a bit. Only scored one goal according to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno_Samba

I just remebered liverpool were after him at the time and he was ment to be the best thing since sliced bread. Things didnt go the way they tought they would for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nunu wrote:
    Jesus, I never knew any of that. It always left a bad taste in my mouth how he was treated at USA '94. It was great to see him at a World Cup and really appreciate him because I was too young to do that at previous World Cups.

Thanks for that info Seanah.

I think it was probably Rip Fuel, which at that stage in the US probably contained ephedrine.
    ephedrine is a stimulant which has various uses, like weight loss as part of the ECA stack, or just as a perkup for workouts.

ephedrine does give a wired effect though :)

I think it's actually banned now, due to some people taking a few too many and dying.

Should Freddy Adu not be the best player in the universe by now?

Who says he isn't? :)

After seeing him in that youth World Cup thingy in Canada against Brazil and others he still could be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Who says he isn't? :)
    !
    Theo Walcott :p

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Theo Walcott :p

kdjac
    Played very well when he came on at the weekend, little Theo.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Played very well when he came on at the weekend, little Theo.

He's no Gareth Bale.

Stekelly wrote:
    He's no Gareth Bale.
    Indeed he is not. And neither of them are Drew Surman!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Indeed he is not. And neither of them are Drew Surman!

Who's this now? I assume the latest player you lot are training up for some lucky PL team?:)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Who's this now? I assume the latest player you lot are training up for some lucky PL team?:)
    Exactly right. Goalscoring central midfielder, scored a few weeks ago on his England u-21 debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Seaneh wrote:
    The match after the greece game in world cup 94, Redondo walked off the pitch at the end and ran to Maradona with tears in his eyes screaming "I kept looking for you but you weren't there"

I remember hearing him screaming it from the sideline mic, him and maradona had such a good understanding with eachother, that's why Maradona played so well despite his age in that world cup.

Also, comon misconception to clear up here, Maradona wasn't banned for cocaine in 94, he was banned for Eppidrone(sp?).

He's been using a supliment in argintine while he was training alone to get fit for the world cup and it was cleared by FIFA as not containing any banned substances.

When he got to the states, he bought the same supliment in florida, same packet, same name, but this one was made in the states, and it had eppidrone in it, his trainer or whatever took it for granted it was the same as the argentinian one, but in obviously it wasn't.

Epidrone does NOTHING to benifit you at all, and I can't fathom a reason as to why it's banned.

There was no cocaine in his system according to the toxicology reports.

Redondo was the best centre mid of the last twenty years.
    Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Who remembers Alfonso Perez Muñoz?

Surely nobody could forget this moment

but there was so much more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

PHB wrote:
    Butt was always an odd player. He was the English makelele, which is why Brazil feared him. However, United had Roy Keane who did the Makelele job and much more, so he could never really get to a regular spot for United. When he moved from United, teams thought he was a different type of player, and from then on, his career just couldn't keep up. Still, he's got the medals to prove his ability as a player.

So has david may !!! Now where is he :) hjahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote:
    Who remembers Alfonso Perez Muñoz?

Surely nobody could forget this moment

but there was so much more!

That Spain/Yugoslavia was one of the best I've ever seen. Always loved Betis cause they had class jerseys and Alfonso was my favourite player. A quality player in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Ariel Ortega is another player who slipped under the radar in recent years.

Back in the mid to late 90's he was hailed as the new Maradona and was in sensational form playing in Europe for Valencia, Sampdoria & Parma but nothing has been heard of him since around 2000.

I check Wiki and apparently he has had a few alcohol related problems but he is now back at River Plate for the third time in his career at the age of 33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Stekelly wrote:
    Should Freddy Adu not be the best player in the universe by now?
    He's doing alright...he joined Benfica a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote:
    Still, he's got the medals to prove his ability as a player.

Medals don't prove ability as a player, Pegguy Arphexad has bloody loads of em and has hardly ever played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Another player intent on flushing himself down the toilet is Cassano. Such unreal potential, with a terrible attitude, and a penchant for junk food apparently.

Still plenty of time for him to cop himself on though, so fingers crossed he can do something beside whine and cause trouble at Sampdoria!

Adriano should be mentioned in this thread 5 years from now, judging by how things are going for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Stekelly wrote: »
    Denilson de Oliveira Araujo, FC Dallas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW8iFZy7x_w&feature=related

Outrageous skill.

Only 30 years old and can't even get into the Dallas MLS team. I don't think there's every been such a spectacular fall from grace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW8iFZy7x_w&feature=related

Outrageous skill.

Only 30 years old and can't even get into the Dallas MLS team. I don't think there's every been such a spectacular fall from grace.

Savage drinker seemingly, i think i put the mockers on that guy tho :(

few years ago his buyout cause at betis was posted here and i wondered what would happen if they were relegated, they got relegated and couldnt sell him :D

had amazing skill but seemingly ruined it with his late night partying.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Didn't Djalminha leave Deportivo after headbutting Irureta (the then-manager) following a 'disagreement' in training :)

What of Taribo West? The last few moves I heard of, he'd left Kaiserslautern to set up his own church :) then was at Partizan Belgrade for a season or two, went to Plymouth Argyle, lasted about two months there and I haven't heard tell of him since.

Advertisement