Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philip Roth - American Pastoral

• 06-10-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

This is my first Roth book and I am simply blown away. It's having such a profound effect on me.
    It's about a very decent all-American man (Seymour "The Swede" Levov - so nicknamed because of his nordic looks, despite his Jewish heritage). He's hard-working, charitable, uncomplicated - perhaps rather dull, but the epitome of a good person. He also has quite a charmed life - very good-looking, was the school hero for his athletic prowess (and could have made a career of this but decided to work at his father's leather glove factory for the good of his family instead), he's married to a former Miss New Jersey, and he's making a very good living. His daughter Merry is the light of his life.
    Then the sweet-natured Merry becomes a hate-filled teenager - not your usual grumpy, moody, self-obsessed teen, but a vicious piece of work. It's 1968, she's violently opposed to the Vietnam War and decides to become a revolutionary, spewing nothing but bile at her loving parents - in particular, her father. The Swede does his best by her, but when she goes on the run following the blowing-up of the local post office, which kills a man and devastates the quiet New Jersey community, his life - the epitome of the American Dream - is shattered. Roth's depiction of this innocent, kind man is absolutely heartbreaking.
    A movie will be made in the next two years or so, and there's been talk for a few years now of Paul Bettany playing the Swede. I'll be so disappointed if he is cast. He is far too young and doesn't have the right look. So what if he's fair-haired? Viggo Mortenson seems the perfect choice but apparently he turned it down. Mel Gibson was also approached and he too turned it down (the fact that he's an anti-semitic, fanatical freak might have something to do with that - surprised he was approached at all). Ed Harris would be great, and he has already been in the film adaptation of a Roth novel (The Human Stain). Although maybe he's getting a bit too old now. Kiefer Sutherland might be good. Jeff Bridges - again, would have been great when he was younger. Tim Robbins - now he would be fantastic. Ok, not exactly blonde, but fairish in a mousey way.
    Evan Rachel Wood is mooted to be playing Merry. That role is more suited to an "indie"-type actress all right (it requires putting on a lot of weight - don't think Lindsay Lohan et al would be lining up for that somehow). Christina Ricci has been suggested to play the role of Rita (the other revolutionary, in her early 20s) - yeah, she'd be perfect. She's in her late 20s now but still very babyfaced.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, but the characters in this novel are making such an impression on me - I'd be almost upset if the movie casting is screwed up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Dudess wrote:
    This is my first Roth book and I am simply blown away. It's having such a profound effect on me.
    It's about a very decent all-American man (Seymour "The Swede" Levov - so nicknamed because of his nordic looks, despite his Jewish heritage). He's hard-working, charitable, uncomplicated - perhaps rather dull, but the epitome of a good person. He also has quite a charmed life - very good-looking, was the school hero for his athletic prowess (and could have made a career of this but decided to work at his father's leather glove factory for the good of his family instead), he's married to a former Miss New Jersey, and he's making a very good living. His daughter Merry is the light of his life.
    Then the sweet-natured Merry becomes a hate-filled teenager - not your usual grumpy, moody, self-obsessed teen, but a vicious piece of work. It's 1968, she's violently opposed to the Vietnam War and decides to become a revolutionary, spewing nothing but bile at her loving parents - in particular, her father. The Swede does his best by her, but when she goes on the run following the blowing-up of the local post office, which kills a man and devastates the quiet New Jersey community, his life - the epitome of the American Dream - is shattered. Roth's depiction of this innocent, kind man is absolutely heartbreaking.
    A movie will be made in the next two years or so, and there's been talk for a few years now of Paul Bettany playing the Swede. I'll be so disappointed if he is cast. He is far too young and doesn't have the right look. So what if he's fair-haired? Viggo Mortenson seems the perfect choice but apparently he turned it down. Mel Gibson was also approached and he too turned it down (the fact that he's an anti-semitic, fanatical freak might have something to do with that - surprised he was approached at all). Ed Harris would be great, and he has already been in the film adaptation of a Roth novel (The Human Stain). Although maybe he's getting a bit too old now. Kiefer Sutherland might be good. Jeff Bridges - again, would have been great when he was younger. Tim Robbins - now he would be fantastic. Ok, not exactly blonde, but fairish in a mousey way.
    Evan Rachel Wood is mooted to be playing Merry. That role is more suited to an "indie"-type actress all right (it requires putting on a lot of weight - don't think Lindsay Lohan et al would be lining up for that somehow). Christina Ricci has been suggested to play the role of Rita (the other revolutionary, in her early 20s) - yeah, she'd be perfect. She's in her late 20s now but still very babyfaced.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, but the characters in this novel are making such an impression on me - I'd be almost upset if the movie casting is screwed up!

Hmmm this sounds like a really interesting book. I've only read one of Roth's books so far. It was his most recent one 'The plot against America', I didn't really like it. I'd imagine I'd like his earlier stuff a lot better though, and this one sounds great... must try and get hold of it next time I'm at home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

yeah - it's a cracking book. It's over five years ago since I read it, but it has stayed with me too. It's my favourite Roth. The filial relationship pervades, but the scene that the Swede witnesses in the kitchen really struck me. What a kick in the teeth!
    Can't say I share your enthusiasm at the prospect of a movie version, but nice to have been reminded of the book :)

PS: any posters here members of the boards Reading Group? any interest in including some Roth there? If you like that kind of stuff you might share an interest in DeLillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

howaya wrote:
    the scene that the Swede witnesses in the kitchen really struck me. What a kick in the teeth!
    WAAAH!!! No spoilers please! Sorry, I'm only past half way. In fairness, that wasn't really a spoiler, just an indication that there's yet more horror and misery in store for the poor man, which I had guessed anyway.

howaya wrote:
    Can't say I share your enthusiasm at the prospect of a movie version
    Nah, me neither, but if it HAS to be done I hope it won't be screwed up.
    I was just thinking William Hurt would make a most fabulous Swede but he's really too old - pushing 60. I know there are snatches from various stages of the Swede's life up to his late 60s, but the bulk of it is concentrated in his 40s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

I was wondering if anybody has read this book or is reading this book. It has rave reviews and he won the Pulitzer for it (I think). I do know it came runner up in the best fiction poll of New York Times-last 25 years.

However,its a very very intense book that tells about the tragic life of a real American hero. Swede Lebov who came from a new money Jewish family who make gloves. Without giving too much of it away-its his daughter is the cause of his plight, but through it all he remains morally steadfast . Just wondering what others think??

Its very intense because there is little dialogue -we are mainly in Swede's head.

Im only half way through-just in case there are those who have read it all!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055161434&highlight=Philip+Roth+American+Pastoral A few views on it there.

I read The Human Stain by Roth a few months ago and have to say it was fantastic, a book that I still think about from time to time. I started reading American Pastoral before Christmas but college work/life has put a halt to my efforts at present. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it is a sad story alright, as is The Human Stain. Poor man. I imagine it would have an even stronger impact on a father or a parent.

Had started a thread somewhere else on this but didn't realise this thread existed. Haven't thought about who will play the swede-there has not been a movie made to my mind-has there?! George Clooney-you know it has to be!

Anyway,I find the book very very intense-well written,masterly written,a tour de force but so darkly intense. I feel a lot better about living in a small house now,because of all this guy has lost as he tumbles into the abyss. Though,Im only half way through, so perhaps things improve?!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Haven't read this one but did read The Plot Against America (overrated), the Human Stain (interesting but ultimately unsatisfying), Dying Animal (mmm not sure, a bit boring) and My Life As A Man (excellent).

buck65 wrote: »
    Haven't read this one but did read The Plot Against America (overrated), the Human Stain (interesting but ultimately unsatisfying), Dying Animal (mmm not sure, a bit boring) and My Life As A Man (excellent).

I find reading this book is like going for a bracing walk-you dislike it while you are doing it but feel better for it afterwards. He writes so well, so clearly that you have to step back from it from time to time. Its like being in on somebody's therapy session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Reading Logs to the main Literature forum (the reading logs forum is purely for the logs). Oh and threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

American Pastoral is one of the best American books ever. Roth at top of his form.

Pittens wrote: »
    American Pastoral is one of the best American books ever. Roth at top of his form.

Im not sure If I would say its the best ever but the writing is so precise so forceful that it will figure in any top ten books last decade. Though,its tough going. Im not sure if I read this in a review or the book itself-but it really is a book of JOB (Bible)

It raises some interesting issues-issues we all face. How unconditional is a parent's love? Merry is an interesting if repulsive figure. We all do turn our faces against the suffering and injustice of the world. The War in Vietnam was unjust and sent those people back to the stone age but our natural inclination is to turn away. Buy a CD/book or stop a child being blind?

on Page 264-a lot to go but it aint the easiest book to read. Reminds me of primal therapy! Never did, it but it has similarities to the book.

good point about the book of Job.

Haven't thought about who will play the swede-there has not been a movie made to my mind-has there?! George Clooney-you know it has to be!
    He'd be good... but I don't think he has the right look, and I think that's important - it's the reason for the character's nickname "The Swede" after all.

Somewhere between William H. Macy and Matt Damon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Old cynic

Read the one about the US Nazis. It's a great book, can't remeber the title but swastika on the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Old thread, I know, but the movie version of American Pastoral is finally on its way. The Swede is played by Ewan McGregor, who also directs for the first time. Jennifer Connelly as Dawn and Dakota Fanning as Merry. Trailer:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I hope they make a better fist at it than previous Roth novels for the screen. Admittedly his books would never be the easiest to translate from the page to the screen but some of the films have been awful - The Human Stain probably being one of the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I read this a few months ago, really didn't do it for me. Heard great things about it so was a bit disappointed not to enjoy it.
    Might give the film a watch though as I skimmed a lot of the book and probably missed some parts of the story because of that.

Advertisement