Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How hard/easy is it to sell a car?

Options
  • 06-10-2007 5:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so I'm going to be selling my car as I'm moving in December. The thing is my car is an extremely common one. So there are thousands of them going at any one time quite cheaply.

Now, my car isn't in perfect condition. There is some minor damage to the drivers door from when some scummers tried to rob it. They basically pulled it out, I've just pushed it back in but at high speeds it does whistle and i wouldn't recommend going through a car wash:o

It has had work on it but i don't have any proof of this:rolleyes: The starter has been replaced, a new timing belt and a new exhaust, it has approx 65k on it and it's a '97.

Now, it will be going through a full service and valet prior to selling and the NCT isn't up till mid-late next year.

So, what do you think.....? I know i might not get what i want for it, i don't mind selling for a couple of hundred below my price, but i just want to know will it actually sell before december? I've never sold a car before ya see...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

1st of all what is it?

2nd, selling a car is very easy i assume you know how to barter? when €X amount is agreed, you sign the log book and so does the new owner along with the new address, DO NOT GIVE THE NEW OWNER THE LOG BOOK!! or else you'll still be the registed owner of the car and the new owner can collect penalty points and they will go to your address, so when you've put yours and the new owners address on the log book, send it away to shannon, the address will be on the top of the log book, and thats pretty much it.

-VB-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ah yeah i get the dealio about log book...

I didn't want to mention the model in case it is construed as trying to actually sell it here, i don't plan on putting an ad up for a few weeks. However, it is a '97 Punto SX60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dont think Mods would have a problem mentioning a car make, Just to give ya a idea of what kinda money your looking at Carzone.ie is always a good refrence; http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=8&xMakeID=8&ModelID=70&xModelID=70&Year=1997&xYear=1997&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E as ya can compare your car to others.

hope this helps

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

There is few tips we put togheter that might help you:

http://www.funkymotors.ie/blog/2007/10/01/help-with-selling-my-used-car/

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

To be honest selling cars in Ireland has become very hard lately, the market it flooded so potential buyers have more choice, partly due to the fact that every man and his dog seems to be importing their new car from Japland or the UK.

As the saying goes, lower the price and it will sell !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, a 10 year old Punto is only worh very small money, ask too much and people just won't bother with the ad. How much were you going to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anything will sell, once the price is right... be greedy and you'll be sitting on it, be generous and it'll be gone in 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

wording is important in all adverts, if you make a berti ahern of it , well enough said.... if you can get in the mind of a buyer... that should help you get rid of your car at a good price + quick

Advertisement