Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water Based Paint

Options
  • 06-10-2007 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can anyone recommend a reducer or thinner for spray painting a car with water based paint, the paint supplier said I should not need one but I would prefer to use one, and any other tips before tackling the job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I agree with the paint suppiler, you do not thin down waterbase like ya would solvent. Are you doing this by yourself OP? i assume your doing it in your garage/lock up? ya do know that waterbase takes 4+ hours to dry, without the use of ovens? failing that get a Calor gas bottle and heat it before applying 2K laquer.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

b.m92 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a reducer or thinner for spray painting a car with water based paint?

Eh, erm, eh, water?

What VB said - unless you are using an unsuitable spray gun and can't get a fine enough mist. I'd suggest making sure your gun/cup are right rather than adding more water as it takes forever to flash off at ambient temp.

I've used House of Color water-based paints and they supply a bottle of filtered water for thinning - this is mainly for airbrush use, so thinning is sometimes necessary.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 b.m92

The paint i'm using is sikkens paint, i've sprayed 2k paint before with my gun and never had any problems, its just this will be my first time to use the water based paint, and i would like to thin out the paint to fade it into the bumper. can i use water or is there a better thinner available, I don't like the idea of putting water tru my gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the atmospheric temperature has a lot to do with it aswell, if you use it in the cold its gonna be slightly thicker and in the warm will be the oposite, i wouldnt thin the paint unless there sometimeg wrong with it, especially if its a metalic colour, if its too runny the metalic bits tend to stick together.,

Advertisement