Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing IDE drive in SATA PC problem

Options
  • 06-10-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Got a DELL Inspiron PC and an old ATA drive see pix below, I bought an adatper kit but it has the wrong power connector so I can't chain it with the DELL HD

Sata connector
    DELLHDPOWERPlug.jpg

Kit connector
    ATA-SATAkitPOWERPLUG.jpg

IDE
    ATAHardDrive.jpg

The data plugs/leads are correct
    ATAHardDrivewithdataconnector2.jpg

So what do I need and where can I get it?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

It looks like all you now need to do is connect a 4 pin female power connector to the hard drive and it should all be fine... or am I missing something ?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

look at ur psu you should see a femal molex connector.

edit:dazbeery said it before me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Dell does'nt have any molex connectors!, just those 15 pin plugs. One from the HD and one from the DVD. Also that 2 pin male plug in the first pic can't go anywhere. I need something to chain the Dell drive and the ATA IDE drive.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Should b molex goin 2 your ide, get a molex extension like this

Got bout 10 of them lyin round ere

Whatever I buy it needs to mate with a 15 pin SATA plug there is nowhere for a molex to directly plug in to. That pic above seems top be molex at both ends.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/12-123-120-02.jpg

Mike.

• Advertisement

Ah yes now I see, pics confused me slightly.

Right, you need two 4 pin molex connections (or one and a splitter) as PogMoThoin detailed, one for the HDD and one for the little adapter board - sure you figured all that out yourself.

But if there are no (:eek:) 4 pin molex connections out of your power supply, then I think you're a bit stuffed - I've never seen an SATA power to 4 pin adapter (in that direction) before, only the other way?

The only quick and dirty method is to buy an external USB -> PATA drive caddy, and put the drive in there.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Has 2 b molex from psu 2 ide drive, just split off dat

Edit: is your ide dvd drive powered by a sata power connector?

No molex! see pic,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/Dsc02161.jpg

Just two 15 pins connectors, why can't I daisy-chain off the HD using the device linked to in the post above?

Mike.

:eek: I think you're stuffed so :(
    Another reason why I'll never buy Dell.

I see there is a spare 3 1/2" fdd power connector, you could rewire it into a large 4 pin molex (I don't know if there are adaptors for this) - I'd guess it would be a bit of a modding job...

D.

If your right then I'll have to buy a crossover cable to transfer files over I think.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_164&products_id=20580
    Above link converts SATA to Molex. Unfortunately, it's a US site, not sure if they ship here. Just the item you need does exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can you get an enclosure and connect the IDE drive via USB?

Lateral thinking. I'll see whats availible

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have one for sale on Adverts ;)
    You're welcome to borrow it if you just need it for a once off.

I'll pass, as I'm in Waterford the price + the postage would be more than I can buy one for locally.

But its a good idea so thanks for that! :)

Mike.

Bought myself a HDD enclosure today from PC World for 40 euro, worked a treat transfering stuff from 3 drives over to my new PC. Happy :)

Mike.

Advertisement