Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Problem x2

Options
  • 06-10-2007 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Ive just recently moved into a new gaf..
    Very nice overall but there is one problem and thats with the central heating.
    The bathroom in my bedroom was very damp... has that smell and the ceiling was blackish. The management company sent someone over who painted the ceiling. Fair enough but the problem is down to the fact that the radiator doesnt work (i think) So its just going to happen again.

He had a look at the radiator.
    The valves were open and he told me to turn off some of the radiators down stairs so there will be enough pressure to reach the radiator in the bathroom...
    I tried that with no luck... What else could the problem be?

The other problem I have is that sometimes when I turn on the heat... the boiler in the kitchen fires up (its gas operated) but NONE of the radiators get warm. Now it is firing up because i can see the flame through the hole...
    Its hit and miss.. any ideas?

ADDITIONAL INFO : I just looked at the gauge and its at a big fat zero....
    The brand is Vokera

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Is your home brand new ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

no the house is around 3/4 years old. Im renting..
    Im guessing the system just needs to be 'topped up'..
    I found the manual online.
    http://www.vokera.co.uk/download.asp?filename=Mynute_12e_16e_20e_User_Man.pdf
    It shows u how but i still cant figure it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if it just needs topping up, there should be a hand valve in the hotpress probably closed. OPen it up and you'll prob here it filling the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Tiesto wrote:
    no the house is around 3/4 years old. Im renting..
    Im guessing the system just needs to be 'topped up'..
    I found the manual online.
    http://www.vokera.co.uk/download.asp?filename=Mynute_12e_16e_20e_User_Man.pdf
    It shows u how but i still cant figure it out..

Demand a service ,end of story.

Our company do servicing every year for landlords which includes ,topping system up ,checking ballcock on tank ,checking gas pressure ,electrics and cleaning the boiler fully. Basically making sure the system is brand new and balancing if needs be.

which hand valve in the hot press?
    i see 3.
    2 of which are on pipes running vertical against the wall...
    The third hand valve is on a pipe running parrallel at ground level connecting up with the tank.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Tiesto wrote:
    Hi all.
    Ive just recently moved into a new gaf..
    Very nice overall but there is one problem and thats with the central heating.
    The bathroom in my bedroom was very damp... has that smell and the ceiling was blackish. Fair enough but the problem is down to the fact that the radiator doesnt work (i think) So its just going to happen again.

More likely down to poor ventilation - make sure the extractor fan runs, or a window is kept slightly ajar. And if in 8 weeks the mold is back it's because the bodger painter didn't treat it first before painting!

Borzoi wrote:
    More likely down to poor ventilation - make sure the extractor fan runs, or a window is kept slightly ajar. And if in 8 weeks the mold is back it's because the bodger painter didn't treat it first before painting!

Yeah theres a ventilation grate built into the wall..
    but it was closed...
    He gave the ceiling a wash before painting it.. it that sufficient?

I have called the guy to come back and top up the system.
    He bled the radiator in the bathroom the last time he was here..
    If the top up doesnt solve the situation with the rad in the bathroom not working..was else could the problem be?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tiesto wrote:
    I have called the guy to come back and top up the system.
    He bled the radiator in the bathroom the last time he was here..
    If the top up doesnt solve the situation with the rad in the bathroom not working..was else could the problem be?
    If he bleeds rads with the filler loop closed then its not going to achieve much.
    To be honest find the valve in the hotpress thats closed and open it, the one that wont turn clockwise is probably it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Tiesto wrote:
    Yeah theres a ventilation grate built into the wall..
    but it was closed...
    He gave the ceiling a wash before painting it.. it that sufficient?
    ?
    If itwa s a bleach wash, yes, otherwise no. But you'll know in time!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

if your system is enclosed there is no topping up but by the sound of it your problem there is probably zone actuators which turns off when you house is up to temp maybe these are not working but that would not be the reason for mould thats to do with vent if it is a bathroom with shower and build within the last couple of years there should be an extractor fan not just a vent as you need something to pull the steam out or it will just soak your bathroom

oh and does your water always heat or is you burner not heating that to

check your stats on the wall to see what they are set to could be way to low need to be in the 20's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sparkyjo wrote:
    if your system is enclosed there is no topping up
    Even a closed system has a filler loop, otherwise you cant fill it up when/if it needs it.
    It wont have a header tank like an open system does.
    If the pressure is 0 bar then thats an issue I would have thought.

sparkyjo wrote:
    if your system is enclosed there is no topping up but by the sound of it your problem there is probably zone actuators which turns off when you house is up to temp maybe these are not working but that would not be the reason for mould thats to do with vent if it is a bathroom with shower and build within the last couple of years there should be an extractor fan not just a vent as you need something to pull the steam out or it will just soak your bathroom

oh and does your water always heat or is you burner not heating that to

check your stats on the wall to see what they are set to could be way to low need to be in the 20's

yes there are zone actuators but only in the downstairs rooms..
    Not upstairs...
    Ive contacted the guy anyways, he is gonna come at the weekend to sort it out
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

_Brian_ wrote:
    Demand a service ,end of story.

Our company do servicing every year for landlords which includes ,topping system up ,checking ballcock on tank ,checking gas pressure ,electrics and cleaning the boiler fully. Basically making sure the system is brand new and balancing if needs be.

what's the name of the company?
    howw much for the service?

Advertisement