Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet World superstore in Athlone

Options
  • 06-10-2007 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Alright, I've just been in here for the first time today, it could have been the grand opening, I think.

They hadn't finished setting up the reptile section when I went in first. I said that chameleons need vines to climb. They said they were just setting up and would get around to it.

I went in later to buy some dog treats and was disgusted to see what they considered 'getting around to it'. ONE yes ONE exo-terra jungle vine. Chameleons need a lot more cover than that, one poor little guy was black with stress with sunken eyes which is not a good look for chameleons! I heard one employee telling a customer that chameleons are easy to keep, eh no. If they were easy to keep they would be classed as beginner lizards which they are not.

This link shows pictures of a decent chameleon habitat. The fake plants go all the way to the top (plenty of hiding places!), in Pet World the vines didn't even go 1/4 of the way up:

http://www.geocities.com/chameleoncreatures/pictures.html

Asian water dragons, on gravel with a water bowl sunken into the gravel. They need things to climb as well, in Reptile Haven in Dublin the young water dragons habitat resembles a misty rainforest, you may not spot the water dragons unless they are moving.
    In Pet World they are completely in the open, one was at the back of the cage, black with stress and kids were banging on the glass.

Here's pics of a decent water dragon habitat:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Exotic_Enthusiasts/index.php?showtopic=165

The bearded dragons were on sand, swallowing sand can cause impaction which can lead to death. This was caused by impaction and lack of UV light:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Exotic_Enthusiasts/index.php?showtopic=1498

Corn snakes were feeding which is a good sign.

The birds seemed over-crowded.

Furry animals seemed in good nick.

Fantastic range of equipment, but I wouldn't buy from the reptile section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

do they have a fish section? if they do was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Email them with links and see if yo get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

do they have a fish section? if they do was it any good?

To be honest I was too disgusted with the reptile section to care whether they had a fish section or not

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

Demonique wrote:
    To be honest I was too disgusted with the reptile section to care whether they had a fish section or not

just ive been looking for a new tank for a while but maby if they not looking after their animals best not to buy from there at all

Advertisement