Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Graphics Card For Best Graphics Without Lag

Options
  • 06-10-2007 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

My newish Dell came with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE maybe 6 months ago and I've been pretty happy with it but when I put everything on the maximum setting in the video options people tell me I'm lagging when I duel them although I don't notice it and thought I would but it's even worse when I'm in a city and shat is a complete nightmare! Everything's back on default now except the res.

What's the cheapest decent card that will allow me to run everything high res high quality? I will buy over the next month or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Is it bad fps that is the problem? Cause if it's not, then it's your connection that would be causing the issues.

This forum would probably be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 warriorpoetic

Obviously I checked my connection first. This is the wow forum where people can tell me what works for them. They all have graphics cards and play wow but people in the forum you're suggesting all have graphics cards but don't all play wow. Do the math tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Using 7600 GS cards on my computers - seem fine except @ the busiest times in Shatt on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Are u using windows Vista ?
    Well i use 2gigs of ram which i find when maxing out games you need 2gigs then.

Ya Vista should of said:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Maybe I should wait for TWOTLK to be released by Blizzard and then buy the GFX card to max out the settings on that? Word around the campfire is that there will be a major GFX rehaul and they did that with TBC so...

Found out yesterday that I can run WOW under WINE on ubuntu so when the full version of their latest distro is released on the 18th and I confirm I can connect to the internet and their IRC support channel using the live CD I'm going to wipe windows entirely and go penguin for the first time.

Apparently WOW runs much more smoothly on linux because there is much less drain on resources from the OS.

• Advertisement

My friend has a monster off a computer. Like the best of everything and the game runs very poorly on it.
    Why u ask ?
    Cause he has Vista and only 1gig of ram. Has all settings down low as well. But soon he will be getting another gig.

Why do I ask which GFX? Well so I can buy it and run everything on the highest settings without lag in shat.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

BadCharlie wrote:
    My friend has a monster off a computer.

he has Vista and only 1gig of ram.

?

No u miss-understand me.

Im saying why is my friends computer which is very much top of the line, but runs WoW very poorly??. Its cause he has vista and only 1gig.

Same problem as u, in shat he gets 2fps "max".

I can safely tell you that it dont matter if you have the best Video card there is, in shat it will still run poorly cause off your lack of ram & Vista.

Pay attension to your hard drive the next time you play the game. The little green light is not ment to be on all the time when playing WoW nor should you be able to hear that grinding noise coming from the Hard drive all the time when playing :).

Ahhh mea culpa...

... tiptoes away ;)

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote:
    I can safely tell you that it dont matter if you have the best Video card there is, in shat it will still run poorly cause off your lack of ram & Vista.

Are you saying that I might get by with top video settings in WoW with my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE once I upgrade the ram to 2GB? If I need both that won't be a problem but I'll probably wait to see how it fairs under ubuntu.

I was running WoW under Ubuntu, and I found my fps increased once I migrated from Vista to Ubuntu.

What kind of fps are you getting in Shatt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Found out yesterday that I can run WOW under WINE on ubuntu so when the full version of their latest distro is released on the 18th and I confirm I can connect to the internet and their IRC support channel using the live CD I'm going to wipe windows entirely and go penguin for the first time.

Apparently WOW runs much more smoothly on linux because there is much less drain on resources from the OS.
    That's what I'm doing atm, and it's running perfectly.

What im saying u will notice a very big improvment in FPS when you do get your 2gigs of ram. After that you can make your mind up do you need a new video card or not.

I don't know much about 7300 LE video card. So you might need someone else in the computer section to anser that.

Better still just wait for your linex, you might find you dont need to upgrade your machine when that is up and working.

plenderj wrote:
    What kind of fps are you getting in Shatt?

I wasn't aware the onboard UI could monitor FPS so I didn't have it set up but I'll let you know exactly tonight. If I had to guess I'd say it's anywhere from 0.1-0.3 but I get bursts of a few seconds (literally 4 or 5) where I can try and make a run for the portals in shat. I always had a bit of lag in other major cities but it's only since someone recommended I set my hearthstone to shat to use the free portals that I discovered the true extent of the problem.
    BadCharlie wrote:
    What im saying u will notice a very big improvment in FPS when you do get your 2gigs of ram. After that you can make your mind up do you need a new video card or not.

Better still just wait for your linex, you might find you dont need to upgrade your machine when that is up and working.

All sound advice BadCharlie! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ubuntu is a bit of a mem hogg too now sadly, 1 gig is useless for wow, with vista that is, i run it perfectly on 512 over xp, maybe duelboot?

I don't agree; I run WoW under Ubuntu on the following setup;
    Acer Aspire 1522WLMi laptop - AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB DDR, 80GB HDD

Works like a charm for me. Full story;
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have an x800 256MB and wow runs perfectly on default settings. In BC however it gets a bit jumpy around Shatt. Other then that I can't complain.

I'm sporting a 2.8 P4 with 1.5GB of ram. I found (having previously run 512MB) that anything over 1GB is fine really.

Tbh yor gfx card should be able to handle it no problem. Software is your main culprit here.

This is unlikely but it may be something to watch. I recently had FPS issues so I ran a throttle monitor and as it turned out my CPU was overheating and as a result capped it's CPU usage. I got 1-7fps at one stage.

Turned out the heataink was jammed full of crap and was cutting off the airflow to the CPU.

Cleaned it boom, problem solved.

Advertisement