Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignorance on the road - why???

Options
  • 06-10-2007 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Why is there ignorance on the road???

I was driving along stuck behind a cyclist today. As i was approaching a bend i didn't over take and slowed down and kept behind the cyclist. But the car behind me over took me, on a bend. Why would someone do this? Is that how much they value their life?

Also was driving and doing the speed limit which was 60km and some cow was stuck on my ass. There is no need to be so close to the car in front of you - is there? You have the whole road for space but to be stuck on me - why???

While im at my rant about ignorance - why do some people park their cars in the middle of 2 petrol pumps??? If your parked in the middle, surely the pump wont reach your car in the middle??? And to take up 2 of them by parking in the middle. WHY ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

lisajane wrote:

I was driving along stuck behind a cyclist today. As i was approaching a bend i didn't over take and slowed down and kept behind the cyclist. But the car behind me over took me, on a bend. Why would someone do this? Is that how much they value their life?

Also was driving and doing the speed limit which was 60km and some cow was stuck on my ass. There is no need to be so close to the car in front of you - is there? You have the whole road for space but to be stuck on me - why???

While im at my rant about ignorance - why do some people park their cars in the middle of 2 petrol pumps??? If your parked in the middle, surely the pump wont reach your car in the middle??? And to take up 2 of them by parking in the middle. WHY ???

People are stupid and/or in a hurry sometimes.
    If you were doing 60Kmh on road where the speed limit is 80, I would have certainly overtaken you, but otherwise I would have stayed behind you, not like a cow though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

tell me about it, I was in traffic today heading into the Jervis street shopping centre. Traffic was bad, and I was at a green light at the junction with the luas.
    Naturally, the tram tracks are a yellow box. I didn't have room the other side so I waited. This moran behind me stays patient for about 20 seconds, then not satisified, beeps me.
    Ok, I figure he hasn't copped theres no room the other side so I ignore him. Lights go red. Luas passes, light goes green (but traffic hasn't moved the other side). I stay put as I don't want to be stuk on the Luas lines. He beeps again. Cretin. So I throw my hands up and start with all this move along crap. Which I didn't. So he switchs lanes, and moves on to the luas lines. My lane progresses, and I cross. Where do you think he finds himself stuck - on the feicen Luas lines.
    I mean what was the point?!? Moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

lisajane wrote:

It's pretty simple OP.

You're in Galway so imagine you are walking down Shop St in a rush. People are going to get in your way and slow you down.
    You don't roar abuse at the elderly for being slow, shout at gob****es wandering into your path while on their mobile and you don't barge into anyone. Bear with me if you think this is offtopic.

But people get cars and do all this. Beeps at the elderly, and giving the finger and abuse to anyone who dares get in their way.

Why? Because if someone retaliates they can drive away. A driver simply has no fear that if they abuse someone they won't get a swift punch in the face.
    Put a quiet person in a car and they can feel very brave and take their frustrations out on the drivers around them.

Yes, I know someone can kill you with bad driving and can't while out walking but it's a relevent point.

So the next time someones beeps you, they're probably not angry at you but are angry over their lousy job, cheating partner, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

micmclo wrote:
    So the next time someones beeps you, they're probably not angry at you but are angry over their lousy job, cheating partner, etc.

Having a ****ty life and feeling nasty behind the wheel is not necessary linked.
    I have no problem in my life, but when I am behind the wheel, I sometimes feel like a beast.
    Probably my level of testosterone...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

micmclo wrote:

A driver simply has no fear that if they abuse someone they won't get a swift punch in the face.

Thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Zulu wrote:
    Naturally, the tram tracks are a yellow box. I didn't have room the other side so I waited. This moran behind me stays patient for about 20 seconds, then not satisified, beeps me.
    Ok, I figure he hasn't copped theres no room the other side so I ignore him. Lights go red. Luas passes, light goes green (but traffic hasn't moved the other side). I stay put as I don't want to be stuk on the Luas lines. He beeps again. Cretin. So I throw my hands up and start with all this move along crap. Which I didn't. So he switchs lanes, and moves on to the luas lines. My lane progresses, and I cross. Where do you think he finds himself stuck - on the feicen Luas lines.
    I mean what was the point?!? Moron.

Moron indeed. Stopped behind a yellow box the other week myself, only for the driver behind me to get pissed off, overtake me, pull into the yellow box and block the person who was about to turn right in front of me from doing so. Wanker. Hopefully your guy ends up with a Luas in the side of his car.

Micmclo has it spot on with the no fear point. When in a car, people are cocooned, so few of the normal checks that stop us from acting like complete assholes in society apply. It's a bit like talking to an awkward person over the phone vs face to face. Face to face, they're as sweet as pie, but over the phone they're nasty as hell because they don't have to worry about little things like making eye contact with you.
    Micmclo wrote:
    You're in Galway so imagine you are walking down Shop St in a rush. People are going to get in your way and slow you down.
    You don't roar abuse at the elderly for being slow, shout at gob****es wandering into your path while on their mobile and you don't barge into anyone.

Of course quite a few of the most ignorant people I see on the roads look like they'd be totally incapable of a brisk walk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I feel your pain!

Don't understand some people!

One thing, I presume that when that 'cow' was stuck on your ass that you were on a single carriage way and not a dual or motorway and could have moved over and let the stupid cow speed off to get her penalty points?

Richie.
    lisajane wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

lisajane wrote:

I blame the cyclist.

;)

LMAO!!
    prospect wrote:
    I blame the cyclist.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was coming across the ardee link road from the m1 last week i think it was and the road is a big wide road with a wide hard shoulder too, there is a couple of bends before it comes to a few big straights, on one of the first bends the traffic was after building up and i was stuck behing 4 cars so i sat behind waiting for the straights only to see a white transit donegal regged van come up right beside me to overtake on the bend and then a northern reg bmw follow him and overtake him on the hard shoulder.

so you had a row of cars on the correct lane a white van overtaking and then a bmw overtaking in the hard shoulder, if a car had of came around the bend they would have had nowhere to go, it was just lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

OP, what car do you have?

I've had small hatches in my time including a punto and I find the smaller the car, the closer people drive to you. Add an L-Plate and you're knackered.

Driving in the big smoke over the weekend and got stuck behind slow movers and pinned by slow overtakers on the MW a couple of times- I ALWAYS at least try to let the guy ahead overtake before going myself but every time it happened, guy behind tails me, switches lanes and tails the overtakers thus blocking me in. No other reason than being rude.

When you have a choice of being civil and being rude, why do so many people choose to be rude and self centred. it's one of the things that really gets my goat. This wouldn't happen when walking on the street.

This happened about 3 times, usually people driving sh*tboxes, so you're not talking about lifes winners, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

lisajane wrote:

Are you sure you hadn't time and room to overtake the cyclist safely before coming close to the bend? The driver behind was wrong to overtake - no doubt about it, but if he had time to overtake a car AND cyclist before the bend (albeit unwisely), I think it's possible you could have found the time and space to do so SAFELY. After all a cyclist will be (i) quite slow and (ii) does not require the entire width of road when being overtaken...

I was recently no. 3 car in a train where somebody behind got frustrated & overtook dangerously. At least some of the blame has to go to dithering drivers who refuse to maintain proper progress ('it's no. 2 that causes the queue') and then sanctimoniusly take the moral high ground (Not that I'm suggesting you fall under this description :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

pburns wrote:
    Are you sure you hadn't time and room to overtake the cyclist safely before coming close to the bend? The driver behind was wrong to overtake - no doubt about it, but if he had time to overtake a car AND cyclist before the bend (albeit unwisely), I think it's possible you could have found the time and space to do so SAFELY. After all a cyclist will be (i) quite slow and (ii) does not require the entire width of road when being overtaken...

I was recently no. 3 car in a train where somebody behind got frustrated & overtook dangerously. At least some of the blame has to go to dithering drivers who refuse to maintain proper progress ('it's no. 2 that causes the queue') and then sanctimoniusly take the moral high ground (Not that I'm suggesting you fall under this description :) )

I have to agree here - I cycle to work occasionally and what I find astonishing is drivers poor judgment - some people will crawl along behind at 15kph rather than overtake when I am cycling in the hard shoulder or fail to overtake on a straight you would clearly have time to overtake a bus on.

On another note I always laugh at peoples reaction - I recently saluted a guy I mistook for someone else - his reaction - yep he gave me the bird.
    People don't stop to think "Why has that person gestured towards me, Have I done something wrong ?" #

nope its F8ck you you pri*k who do you thing you are, I am right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

RobAMerc wrote:
    drivers poor judgment - some people will crawl along behind at 15kph rather than overtake

I agree and disagree here.

If the cyclist was coming to a bend that the driver couldn't see round, then for the safety of the cyclist the driver was right to stay behind. Cyclists tend to be very unpredictable at junctions and bends, esp if they are not used to the roads (potholes, dips, lack of speed).

If the driver could see round the "bend" and hesitated then it is just another case of hesitation causing the issue.

As for tailgater's it is usually better to just keep doing the same speed (don't speed up or slow) and if you need to slow down gently press the brake earlier than usual as you will have to use more space to eventually stop and of course indicate earlier than usual without adding any confusion, and also avoid that car ploughing into the back of you.

Tapping the brake and putting on the hazards will usually just piss them off more, as will speeding up and then slowing down (i have seen all types all over Ireland the UK do these things). It is better to have these people in front of you as you will see them crash, instead of them crashing into you.

I have seen some drivers indicate left and slow down on a quiet road which kinda forces the tailgater to overtake as they think that car is stopping or pulling off the road - just shows how impatient they really are.

On the petrol pump issue, just find another pump. Plain stupidity will never be reasoned with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

RobAMerc wrote:
    yep he gave me the bird.

What does that mean?

boreds wrote:
    What does that mean?

He thought a turkey would be a nice gift :D

It is the middle finger - you know, "read between the lines"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

r0nn13 wrote:
    I agree and disagree here.

If the cyclist was coming to a bend that the driver couldn't see round, then for the safety of the cyclist the driver was right to stay behind. Cyclists tend to be very unpredictable at junctions and bends, esp if they are not used to the roads (potholes, dips, lack of speed).
    Ah come on - I am not talking about on a dangerous bend - of course a car should stay behind then, thats common sense not poor judgment.

RobAMerc wrote:
    Ah come on - I am not talking about on a dangerous bend - of course a car should stay behind then, thats common sense not poor judgment.

As "common sense" is sometimes mislaid when ppl get behind the wheel of a car (ignorance, hesitation, aggression), just thought it should be pointed out about visibility regarding bends as the OP never said if they could see round the bend or not...

Talking of common sense, i came across this at lunch - The UK Highway Code in 100 words or less:-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/car_page_content/36803.html :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was driving home on Dublin's south quays last night, about 1 am. A taxi overtook me in the bus lane on Usher's Quay, just where the bus lane ends for the left turn into Bridgefoot St and then stopped right in front of me to drop off a passenger just where the new bridge is.

Why? I don't understand it. He was using the bus lane and the left turn lane to undertake me just so as he could pull up in front of me, forcing me to make a quick lane change (there's no bus lane on Usher's Island opposite the James Joyce bridge). Fortunately, the traffic was light, but why?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

cantdecide wrote:

I've had small hatches in my time including a punto and I find the smaller the car, the closer people drive to you. Add an L-Plate and you're knackered.

Iv got a 98 fiesta. It was my learning car. I found out it was much worse with an L plate on the car. I dont know why L plate drivers get so much crap. I pity them. Iv passed my test first time 10 months ago and it did get easier, though i still have the same car. I cant wait to change it.
    Originally Posted by pburns

I had very little space to overtake the cyclist. If i was to overtake him i would be driving a little over the white line and as i was approaching a bend i didn't know what was behind that bend. I couldn't see past it. I could have met a speeding motorist driving on the white line or anything. I always expect the unexpected. And cyclists can be very unpredictable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

cantdecide wrote:

Iv got a 98 fiesta. It was my learning car. I found out it was much worse with an L plate on the car. I dont know why L plate drivers get so much crap. I pity them. Iv passed my test first time 10 months ago and it did get easier, though i still have the same car. I cant wait to change it.
    Originally Posted by pburns

I had very little space to overtake the cyclist. If i was to overtake him i would be driving a little over the white line and as i was approaching a bend i didn't know what was behind that bend. I couldn't see past it. I could have met a speeding motorist driving on the white line or anything. I always expect the unexpected. And cyclists can be very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Having read all the stories, i agree with them all.......if that's possible. The one thing that it certain and without a shadow of a doubt in my opinion, is that drivers on the road (quite a high percentage!) have no manners - that's the end of it. There are poor drivers, agressive drivers etc etc. Overall, people have zero patience. I drive in a out of work every day (to Dublin city centre) and to be honest, I'd luv not to have to (public transport is poor where I am!). Anyway, I luv driving and luv cars but it's just a nightmare these days. Coming home today, I was going about 85kmph on an 80km stretch and some fella pulled across from a slip road and I had to slam on - I sat on the horn and what did he do??? he just laughed and gave me the finger!!! Quality stuff eh. Only I knew he was going to pull out, I managed to stop. Otherwise, I could have drove through his poxy camper van and killed myself...........and hopefully him too. Shocking drivers out there overall, no manners (and we Irish think we're mannerly??). Anyway, if it was busy traffic on the streets where you're walking, if someone bumped into ya, generally they'd say sorry. People get into their cars and are transformed!!

Only realised I'm waffling on; only meant to make small point but such are the joys of this subject, one cannot avoid having a rant!!!! Cheers

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

There seems to be a competitive attitude from a lot of people on the roads. Not wanting people to overtake you or speeding up when they do or closing down the space in front of you for fear of someone else taking that space because you are too afraid to overtake a truck in front etc etc. Motorway/Dual Carriageway driving in this country is the most annoying of all. This morning on the N2 (Ashbourne Bypass) I was in the driving lane (i.e. left lane) with nothing in front of me for about half a mile and there was a line of around 30 cars doing 110 Max in the overtaking lane, all afraid to pull in in case the car behind got past them. If it wasn't so frustrating (in this case being stuck doing 110 in a 120 zone because of idiots) it would be hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

LFCFan wrote:
    I was in the driving lane (i.e. left lane) with nothing in front of me for about half a mile and there was a line of around 30 cars doing 110 Max in the overtaking lane, all afraid to pull in in case the car behind got past them. If it wasn't so frustrating (in this case being stuck doing 110 in a 120 zone because of idiots) it would be hilarious.

Would this not come under the 'you may pass on the left if the traffic in the right hand lane is queued and proceeding more slowly than the left lane'? :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Would this not come under the 'you may pass on the left if the traffic in the right hand lane is queued and proceeding more slowly than the left lane'? :)
    :) I was thinking that very same thing and was very tempted to just put the foot down and 'undertake' the lot of them but it was coming close to an exit so someone was probably gonna be pulling in eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lisajane wrote:

To answer all your questions - cause I don't give a **** about you or your car that's why.

LFCFan wrote:
    There seems to be a competitive attitude from a lot of people on the roads. Not wanting people to overtake you or speeding up when they do or closing down the space in front of you for fear of someone else taking that space because you are too afraid to overtake a truck in front etc etc. Motorway/Dual Carriageway driving in this country is the most annoying of all. This morning on the N2 (Ashbourne Bypass) I was in the driving lane (i.e. left lane) with nothing in front of me for about half a mile and there was a line of around 30 cars doing 110 Max in the overtaking lane, all afraid to pull in in case the car behind got past them. If it wasn't so frustrating (in this case being stuck doing 110 in a 120 zone because of idiots) it would be hilarious.

Competitive attitude - that sums it up nicely I think.

I regularly see the same thing on the M1, you can actually make more progress by staying in the 'driving lane'.

I have often seen some drivers spending more time looking in their mirror being VERY concerned with the car behind - why don't they just move over to the left lane and let them through - if someone wants to speed then let them, that's what the Gardai and cameras are there for, it is not up to these individuals to dictate how others should use the road.

I was going to the airport once with my cousin, she was driving, and she sat in the overtaking lane at EXACTLY 120kmph and was continually looking in her mirror at the '@sshole' behind saying that 'I am doing the speed limit so he can fook off.

I couldn't hold my tongue for long and tried to explain that she should be in the left lane and also that it is not up to her to control other drivers.

She eventually moved over and the remainder of the drive was a LOT less stressful.

Rant off! :rolleyes:

Richie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Coming home today, I was going about 85kmph on an 80km stretch and some fella pulled across from a slip road and I had to slam on
    :confused::confused::confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Hermy wrote:
    :confused::confused::confused:

Woops! My error; that was meant to read 75 kmph!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement