Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you really need to have return flights when on a working holiday in NZ?

• 06-10-2007 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm off to NZ in April and booked my flights today (yay!). I'm going on a working holiday visa but only booked single flights, not a return. My bf is from NZ and we don't know what we're going to do after a year in NZ. We might go travelling around for a few months. As the flights expire after a year there was no pont booking them if i wasn't sure i was coming back to Ireland after a year. As far as I know from my research you're supposed to have return flights as part of the terms of the visa. Has anyone been to NZ on a working holiday visa and had to show their return flights? I'll have a good bit of money when I go to use to travel after the year of living in NZ... if I show the immigration people that will that be sufficient? A friend on mine says they don't actually check that you have return flights... but I just want to see what happened to other travellers when they entered NZ/Aus on a working holiday visa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Im over in NZ at the moment on a working holiday, they seem to be much more relaxed about the rules here.

I didnt need an onward ticket , bank funds where not checked and ive gone way over the allowed 3 months in one job (ive actually got a full time permanent postition). So different to Oz , when i did the year there everything was by the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks, that's what i needed to hear. I'm hoping to get a full time job too!

Another quick question (if you don't mind!). I'm going to get my visa soon. According to the website once you get the visa you have 12 months to get to NZ. I presume you're year starts when you arrive, i.e. you're visa is only activated when you get there, even if you've received it 6 months before. Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yep your right, once approved you have one year to get to NZ , once you enter the country your one year visa starts (it does not stop if you leave the country, to go ona 3 week holiday to Fiji for example like i did :D )

Also, when going for interviews tell them you are looking to live here permanently and that you are hoping to apply for residency, thats all i did. I think i got one phone call reminding me to get onto the visa people and apply for a full time visa, other than that it was no problem getting a full time job.

Have fun !

Advertisement