Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stainless steel shot

Options
  • 06-10-2007 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Is it possible to obtain shotgun cartridges that have stainless steel shot? Are they much dearer than lead shot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Not too sure about costs etc..
    But two things i do know .

Steel shot loses its velocity quicker than lead shot and needs a different "Lead" on crossing targets for example .

Steel shot may not be suitable in all shotgun barrels and may damage them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Fair enough so.

I was wondering from the point of view of eating pheasants and ducks, that steel shot would be safer than lead shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i asked about this when i got my first shotgun, but was told steel shot is not legal in ireland.... that was about 7 years ago tho.... things might have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Gamebore White Gold Pro steel. Its cheaper but doest perform as well as lead. You shouldnt have much shot in the bird after you clean it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

As far as i know steel shot is becomming compulsary on a lot of shoots .I think the north slob in wexford only allows steel shot now .Steel shot doesn't have the same hitting power as lead therefore you need heavier loads to do the same job and you need deeper pockets to buy it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

SMERSH,
    Do not eat either one if you can help it. :D
    First it is not stainless just plain steel and steel requires a firearm proofed for steel shot, older guns especially are not steel proofed. Lead is a much better shot material for the reasons put forward by other posters. It is only a matter of time before we ( IRL) are required to use steel (or some other form of non-tox ) shot for all wildfowl and possibly (further down the road) upland birds shooting as well.
    BTW, Steel shot rusts, lead is cheaper but it pollutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth
    If you don't fancy lead you could possibly try bismuth shot if it is available here.
    Bismuth's density is closer to lead than steel is, so ballistics and terminal energy will not be too different.
    Bismuth's Brinell hardness is also very close to that of lead so use in non-steel shot proofed guns will not a problem.
    Bismuth metal is non-toxic and one of it's compounds is a major ingredient in the lurid pink antacid "PeptoBismol".
    The only down side I think is it's cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Advertisement