Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My first car

Options
  • 06-10-2007 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering something:

My parents said they're buy me my first car and they found an opel corsa one litre year 2000 with 31,000 miles. The guy is asking for 3,000 yo-yo's. It's in fab condition i'm told. Just wondering if my parents are getting a good deal? and if i could get a polo for the same money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm guessing €3k is an ok asking price but I would offer €2,800 for it assuming the car is in good mechanical order. Never pay the full asking price. There is always room for haggling.

Has a mechanic inspected the car for you? The 1.0 litre Corsa is known to have head gasket problems so it is well worth your while to have somebody who knows their way around a car inspect it. Also 31k miles is very low for a car that is almost 8 years old. While not unusual to have low mileage I would look for evidence that the car has had very little use via service history documentation or receipts for any repairs carried out.

Also I'd doubt you would buy a 00 1.0 litre Polo for €3k. They tend to be overpriced for what they are. You're probably looking at a 98/99 Polo for €3k and it will most likely not have power steering which is very handy, especially for a learner driver when trying to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

don't think you'd get a polo 2000 for less than 3 grand, go and get yourself this weeks AUTOTRADER give you a good idea of prices and such:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

thanks guys, oh ya i know the car is fine my dad checked it out. and it's genuine, it's a friend of his that's selling it. they already haggled! I know polos are overpriced buy i adore volkswagens. Too pricey though, and i want the power steering. Any other problems that corsas have been known to havE?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've seen some 1.0 Corsas giving ignition trouble, air meter and coil packs to blame if I remember correctly.
    You'll notice if this is wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

cool cool, going to look at it for myself tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The mileage seems very low, which is a good thing. Most '00 Corsas I've seen for sale around that price had about twice that mileage on them.

Advertisement