Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Numark CD Mix-2 - any good?

• 07-10-2007 12:30am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to do DJ'íng on vinyl when I was in college and wanted to get into the cd dj'ing

Just want something simple to start off and thought the Numark CD Mix-2 would be handy.
    Is it worth the money or would I spend it wisely somewhere else?
    It will only be for use in my house and maybe a few parties - nothing big

Also if you know of any good stores that sell them, I can mainly find UK ones

Cheers

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

mik_da_man wrote:
    Hi,

I used to do DJ'íng on vinyl when I was in college and wanted to get into the cd dj'ing

Just want something simple to start off and thought the Numark CD Mix-2 would be handy.
    Is it worth the money or would I spend it wisely somewhere else?
    It will only be for use in my house and maybe a few parties - nothing big

Also if you know of any good stores that sell them, I can mainly find UK ones

Cheers

Mik

Get the pioneer cdj's. There the most solid and if you were ever goin playin in a club that's what you'd be using.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ah I Won't be playing any clubs.
    Just doing it as a hobby really, I enjoy it but don't want the hassle of HAVING to do it :)

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lizzyitis

If you're going to bother doing it do it right and get the Pionneers you won't be disappointed!! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

totally agree - I don't know why anyone would bother with a rack type setup - so much better out there...

Have you considered a laptop + controller setup?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have not thought about the laptop idea...
    I have about 60 Gigs of tunes in it so it might not be a bad idea :D

So what would be a good setup with a laptop?

Mik

ok, my 2 cent on laptop based Dj'ing.

It does not matter how fast of a laptop you get. Its not stable enough. There are too many variables with a laptop setup.

Now maybe its just from my bad experience i dunno but,

They get very very hot,
    Using a trackpad can be very tricky,
    There not dedicated to Dj'ing, ie you surf the web, write with word, play chess etc etc all this can cause issue to your set up.
    Viruses,
    dj'in software is never as good as its hardware version.
    Wires everywhere!

Now i've try 3 diff DJ software and I payed full price for the orginal. I downloaded all the right versions of them. Updated OS as per the software spec. Its all either crashed, stalled, or its just playing old ****e.

Then after you have all the software issue you go on bring in another 3rd party controller. That is never going to 100% fully intergrate with your dj'ing software unless you buy the one its aimed for. Then your added wither usb in the mix or midi.

If its just for bedroom stuff then fine, but I think its best left there imho :-)

Rack type set up. Its all there in one unit. You can have everything wired up the way you want it. Remove lid, plug in and play. Its protected.

Some of the new HD based players are great. Yes its still a PC at heart, but is a simple system, its designed for audio playback nothing else. Denon, Numark and Cortex all make them. If you a cd lover then you can still get the Cd players with a USB connector, so you can add in you ipod/usbHD and access that to play your music.

My advice, keep it simple.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Unclebill, although you are not wrong in what you are saying, you have a pretty pessimistic approach. Yes, many of the digital solutions have problems, but there are still a lot of good ones out there - not all are perfect, but not all have problems. The PC does make a difference, as do drivers. Saying that, I've heard some people have flawless experiences with below minimum spec's - and others with high powered computers have issues.

I have the M-Audio Torq Xponent - the hardware and software designed to work together. Very highly recommended, however a small few have had problems with some distortion - it's apparently a windows driver issue.

Other DVS Solutions like Serato Scratch have a reputation for being completely bulletproof.

The Vestax VCI-100 and the Kontrol DJ are purly Midi Controllers and do work nativly with Traktor and Deckadance.

Basically, if you are a full time travelling DJ and absolutely cannot risk the chance of a crash ever, stick with CD's. But if you are a bedroom/party Dj - digital dj'ing gives you a lot of freedom and possibilities. It's a personal choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sasha uses a PC type set up and it seems to work fine for him.

Loads of big DJ's are using digital setups these days, but people like sasha etc use Ableton. It's not specifically for DJ'ing - more live production - but more and more DJ's are using ti for it's advances remixing and looping capabilities etc. The only gripe I have is that often these dj's have their entire set planned out beforehand. Kinda spoils the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah I know he uses Ableton which is slightly different but it's still PC based.
    Zascar wrote: »
    The only gripe I have is that often these dj's have their entire set planned out beforehand. Kinda spoils the fun.
    But DJs have been doing that for years, it just never looked so obvious. And the point of using Ableton is that while it's preplanned it gives the DJ the potential to mix it up a bit by changing parts of the tracks on the fly.

Zascar wrote: »
    Unclebill, although you are not wrong in what you are saying, you have a pretty pessimistic approach. Yes, many of the digital solutions have problems, but there are still a lot of good ones out there - not all are perfect, but not all have problems. The PC does make a difference, as do drivers. Saying that, I've heard some people have flawless experiences with below minimum spec's - and others with high powered computers have issues.

I have the M-Audio Torq Xponent - the hardware and software designed to work together. Very highly recommended, however a small few have had problems with some distortion - it's apparently a windows driver issue.

Other DVS Solutions like Serato Scratch have a reputation for being completely bulletproof.

The Vestax VCI-100 and the Kontrol DJ are purly Midi Controllers and do work nativly with Traktor and Deckadance.

Basically, if you are a full time travelling DJ and absolutely cannot risk the chance of a crash ever, stick with CD's. But if you are a bedroom/party Dj - digital dj'ing gives you a lot of freedom and possibilities. It's a personal choice

Hi Zascar

I do Dj'in for weddings etc. I've used cds/laptop combo from the start. Just sticking with the laptop is amazing. Everything at your finger tips. But then theres the gig when the laptop fails. Low end from a pa and Hard drives don't mix very well together at all!

From Numark/Denon user forums there are countless issues with pc based dj systems. Main issue is the you Pc has to be setup 100% for what dj's need. If one thing in your settings is out then thats it. Your opening yourself up to a dance floor of people and no music :(

The torg unit looks good. But again your stuck with the software. Great if your new to this stuff but very unlikely to switch over from other interfaces. As you mention issue with drivers... ;) Like the way it flashed with the BMP!

As for Sasha... I'd say his computer setup has been designed/maintained by some of the best computer wizzies in the dj world. There designed and setup for his music only, never connect to the net etc...But I am sure he carrys around 2 just incase :D

I am currently investing into the digital areana myself. But not via pc/laptops. Numarks D2 is what i am trying at the min and low and behold it froze last night during a song. Lucky for me the CD was cue'd so no music for about 2/3 sec...seemed like a lifetime tbh :( But as with anything, there is not one simple issue. I could have been my hard drive, the mp3 i was playing was dodgy, the bass hit the needle of the hd, the unit got too hot, the hd got to hot, I had not done something else.

So, i am off to discuss my issue and get it sort for fri :confused:

All in all digital dj is the way forward....but i'll always has them cd's just incase!

but vinyl dj'in is the real deal.... I will not insult those who do it for real! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Dare I say it the Numark idj version 2 is available and if I wasnt laptop based but all my tunes were digital it would probably be my first choice !

One ipod(or external hard drive) - and it can be used as a normal mixer as well.

Oh and a really nice function .. it does video too :D - shame they didnt add midi support or i'd snap one up.

its NOTHING like the orgininal Idj which had about zero functionality from a dj point of view.
    They get very very hot,
    Try Rendering a movie for 12 hours -- now thats hot, why care ? its not gonna be on your lap is it ?
    Using a trackpad can be very tricky,
    Dedicated controllers generally allow you to ditch the usage of a trackpad :-S
    There not dedicated to Dj'ing, ie you surf the web, write with word, play chess etc etc all this can cause issue to your set up.
    Depends who by and how they are set up.
    Viruses,
    Mac
    dj'in software is never as good as its hardware version.
    They brought out a hardware version of traktor ?
    Wires everywhere!
    Flightcase = 1 usb cable 2 x rca's - less than a "normal" setup.

I just added a numark cdm200usb (dual soundcard built in) to my kontrol dj setup, I was dammed if i was getting an external soundcard, and now have the reliability of being able to use the "shuffle" on in the event of a crash (which I havent had any yet with my macbook) AND lots more buttons and faders for use with other niceties,

Next month, a flightcase for the lot. :D, need to design somthing funky for holding my lappie above the case.

Nice laptop flight case

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=FZGS12MIX--BranchID=--DepartmentID=CASES^RACKS--SubDeptID=308--CategoryID=--DeID=0

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=FZGS10--BranchID=--DepartmentID=CASES^RACKS--SubDeptID=308--CategoryID=--DeID=0

Sorry, when I meant hardwarre vs software i meant, a simple dual cd player vs DiscoDJ.

Trackpads are not needed for usb interfaces, but again most people dont use usb interfaces and stick to just the software. Hence the trackpad can be a nightmere.

Yes, Macs tend not to get Virus's. But there are alot more PC based DJ's than mac DJ. Denon are one of the biggest dj makers and they don't support macs. Numark, only from feb07 are making mac friendly units.

The wires everywhere was a reply back to zascar about why bother doing racks!!! The right rack can make a very very big diff to your setup!

Whats the Numark cdm200usb like? Was going to get it!

I use a powerbook, very stable. Its not let me down yet...! But beware the flashing folder of DOOM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Call me a traditionalist but...

Laptops for producing, decks for performance. 99.9% stability just isn't good enough when you're performing live - that 0.1% will be the time when you need it once; we're Irish for god sake!

No matter what anyone can say about improvements in stability or otherwise, the only way a 1210 can crash is if you knock it off the booth :D

jimi_t wrote: »
    Call me a traditionalist but...

Laptops for producing, decks for performance. 99.9% stability just isn't good enough when you're performing live - that 0.1% will be the time when you need it once; we're Irish for god sake!

No matter what anyone can say about improvements in stability or otherwise, the only way a 1210 can crash is if you knock it off the booth :D

I'd give anything to use decks.... Its just not do able in my line of work. I take my hat off to all 1210 users :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

The numark CDM200usb, is a grand old mixer, and the dual soundcards is a gift (on a mac - Traktor cant use the cm200's dual features), just a pity its not 24/96 though the quality is good enough

I can even record the sets routing to my built in soundcard to audiacty :D. i was gonna go for the "01" but wanted everything 19' to go with the kontrol dj..and now that i've seen the flightcase ...... if they ship to here I might get one of those , it'd sure beat butchering a 1210 case :o

As for sasha, he is (was) using a 17' Imac for ableton ;) and believe he's a bit of a computer geek himself hehe.

P.S. had plenty of 1210 "crashes" the analogue way - dust! and badly isolated dancefloors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

On the issue of Mac DJing, I use DJ1800 and so far so good, 4 decks, internal or external mixer, able to cue up nd pitch and come in mid song, it's all good for me . If you use your laptop solely for DJing, then viruses will not really be an issue on a Windows based unit.

To the OP's original post, the CD 2 is a nifty machine for basic DJing and is well specced for the price. It's easy to use and bright and spacious, 3 audio outs (aux, phono and XLR), 2 mics in (1/4"), 4 audio feeds in addition to the internal CDs and it can be used as a standalone mixer as well. Solid it is not, but handle with care or a good case and it will be fine.

Advertisement