Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROM Spaceknight - Call for Artists

Options
  • 07-10-2007 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Below is from an email I just got. I assume they'll take submission from outisde north america [show is in portland] other wise I wouldn't have got the email but if submitting something you might want to check before hand just to be safe.

ROM SPACEKNIGHT • BILL MANTLO FUNDRAISER
    (from JASON LEVIAN; contact: jason@floatingworldcomics.com)
    This December our First Thursday show is a tribute to my favorite comic character of all time, ROM Spaceknight, and the man who brought his adventures to life, Bill Mantlo.

The origin of Floating World Comics... let's go back to 1986. The first comic my dad ever bought me was ROM #60. This issue, entitled "Strangers On A Train!" featured a musician named Rick Jones dying of cancer, a young girl whose parents had just been murdered and replaced by Dire Wraiths. These monsters were foamy pink blobs that drilled their tongues into your brain and then assumed your form body snatcher style, leaving you a dusty husk. These horrific details made an impact, as well as the dynamic form of the shiny silver hero that flew in to save the day. I collected every issue until the series was cancelled at #75 (when I asked the comic clerk why it was cancelled he kindly replied, "Well, they just ran out of stories to tell."). Then I worked backwards all the way to issue #1 plus 4 annuals. I didn't know it at the time, but the artist of my first comic ever was Steve Ditko, who would later become one of my all time favorites.

Years later I learned that all of these incredible stories were created by one man, Bill Mantlo. At the same time I learned that he had been injured in a terrible hit and run accident in 1992. Due to the severe injuries, Bill currently resides in a Brain Injury Rehabilitation Nursing Home, and will probably do so for the rest of his life. This show will serve as a fundraiser and celebration of the stories Bill has given us. All of the artwork and more will be compiled in a tribute comic next year that will be sold as a non-profit benefit book for Bill's brother/caregiver, Mike Mantlo, to
    provide funding to enable Bill to enjoy somewhat of a quality of life.

First, some information about the show:

DECEMBER 6TH, 2007 - 1ST THURSDAY OPENING, 6-10PM

We will display original art where available and also digital prints of all contributions. Please submit your art in the following format: hi-res PDF or JPEG, CMYK, 11"x17", 300 dpi or greater. Your submission should depict ROM or any other character from the ROM mythos. I'm expecting mostly splash illustrations, but there's no restrictions if you want to submit a comic page or any abstract interpretation of the character or concepts.

The poster prints will be made at 11x17 size, which coincidentally also matches the proportions of a modern comic book page ( 6.625" wide x 10.25" tall). Please create the artwork to these proportions for best results. If your original is smaller than 11x17, please scan it at 600 dpi so I can enlarge it without loss of resolution. I have an FTP set up for large files, or try a service like yousendit.com. I will be paying for the production of all the digital prints. Once my
    costs are covered, all proceeds will be set aside If you are donating an original piece to be sold, please let me know if you need compensation for material costs which can be reimbursed to you if the artwork is sold.

The deadline for files is Monday November 5th. This should give me enough time to ensure that all the prints are ready for the December 6th opening.

The idea for the book actually came before the show, but doing the show first will be a great way to build interest and also compile a bulk of the material that will be included in the book. My friend from Teenage Dinosaur publishing gave some great suggestions for the format. It will be professionally printed in Canada or overseas, and we're going to try and match the format and paper stock of an old 80's comic as closely as we can. We'll probably go with a pulpy white paper stock and artists can scan in their own textures if they like. It'll probably be at least an 80-128 page giant (remember those) with a spine, or however many pages we can stick a staple through.

Please send files or inquiries to: jason@floatingworldcomics.com

Here's some helpful links to get you started:

* http://www.romspaceknight.com/covers.asp
    * http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/Rom/
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom_the_Spaceknight
    * http://youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw&search=rom spaceknight

Advertisement