Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

boring first car question - be gentle

Options
  • 07-10-2007 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

hello,

i need to pick up a car for work.
    i'm a provisional license holder and have been knocking about in a starlet and clio when learning to drive over the last 5 years! I failed a test years back and haven't driven again until recently. I'm 25

I need a big enough car that will go and go and won't cause any hassle. I have about €5k to play with.

I've narrowed my search down to Ford Focus ghia and Toyota Avensis.
    I reckon I prob will be able to pick up a year 2000 one of these.

Insurance is likely to cost me 1800ish for comp. from checking 1.6litres of the above and similar on quinndirect. I would like comp as will be loan for car. Don't fancy paying for scrap.

So in summary

Car for work
    Will go and go - very important
    Ideally garage warrantied for a 3+ month period
    A 25 yr old provisional
    Decent size, golf clubs, big boxes in back
    1.6l max - 1.8 at a stretch
    Good mpg would be sweet
    comfortable for two passengers in back, tolerable for 3
    Dublin area
    budget €5k

On top of that would love if it didn't look like a dog.

Can anyone advise me on where I might buy - definitely worth going to a garage?
    And any other cars I might look at?
    And general opinions on the cars I might pick up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Avensis would fit the bill, If you're looking at 00 try to get a facelift VVT-i model. Nothing to worry about with them really, some had a issue with burning oil, but engines were replaced by Toyota.

It could be argued that the Focus is a better drive, but IMO the rear end is horrid looking.

Also consider a Mazda 626 or Honda Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

My advice - Get your full licence. You're breaking the law if you drive it without a qualified driver in with you. Either that or get a motorbike.

Actually, I can't see how you've still got your PL if you say you failed the test "years ago".

I'm not trying to be rude here but I'm telling you how it is. There are too many drivers on the road that aren't qualified drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

2nd provisional. So not illegal.

Thanks colm_mcm for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

chump wrote:
    2nd provisional. So not illegal.

Thanks colm_mcm for the advice.

we will await deman apology for false accusation that you are a criminal...

on the car , forget the 1.8.. even a 1.6 is a stretch...plus the fully comp is really going to cost you at this stage...

would you consider picking up a sub €1000 car for the first 6 months and then get something better ? (you say you will have a loan on this , you really don't want to paying for it after you hit a ballord in a car park , or reverse into a wall)....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    I reckon the Avensis would fit the bill........It could be argued that the Focus is a better drive, but IMO the rear end is horrid looking.

Point 1/. :D

Point 2/. Ireland's best selling car for many years. The boot in the hatch isn't huge btw. Will take golf clubs however. It's miles ahead of the Avensis in road manners and handling, and is without doubt a way superior drive.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote:

on the car , forget the 1.8.. even a 1.6 is a stretch...plus the fully comp is really going to cost you at this stage...

would you consider picking up a sub €1000 car for the first 6 months and then get something better ? (you say you will have a loan on this , you really don't want to paying for it after you hit a ballord in a car park , or reverse into a wall)....

I'm not a terrible driver :D

I drove for a few months a few years back on my first provisional with my folks and sat the test too early - after about 3 months having only been out with the folks, maybe a handful of times a weeks. After that I put the whole car thing on the back burner as it wasn't really necessary.

Recently got the second provisional and have been driving with the gf (full license) and now am decent enough, so can drive on my own no probs. I have decided to pick up my own car to make life easy for me with respect to work.

I hope to pick up the car before xmas and would hope to pass my test within 6 months (work can write me a nice letter).

In summary, I can drive OK - so am hoping to hold onto the car for maybe 2 years before I'll upgrade to something better.

Basically am looking for advice about what car would be most suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Focus sounds right.

The saloon looks much better than the hatch and will easily take your golf clubs. Not sure what you mean by "big boxes" though. How big?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wouldn't the focus be more costly compared to equivalent Avensis?

I find with Quinn that nowadays (don't get me started on the way car inurance used to be) they look 90% at you and the 10% at the car. I wouldn't think a 1.8 would be out of the question at age 25.

I don't know, but I wouldn't think it would be an automatic nono, especially if it's a bargain...

I do know that if you push Quinn- they will show that they are a very responsive company- based on personal experience.

Point 2/. Ireland's best selling car for many years. The boot in the hatch isn't huge btw. Will take golf clubs however. It's miles ahead of the Avensis in road manners and handling, and is without doubt a way superior drive.

When I hear "00 Focus Ghia 1.6" I think saloon. I can't remember the last time I saw one in a hatchbck

The new model Focus saloon is quite good looking, but the old model is terrible from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Onikage wrote:
    Focus sounds right.

The saloon looks much better than the hatch and will easily take your golf clubs. Not sure what you mean by "big boxes" though. How big?

first time ive ever heard anyone say that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

jhegarty wrote:

My bad.

Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion and falsely accusing the OP as a criminal. Of course 2nd PL drivers can drive unaccompanied, as long as they don't drive on motorways, always display their L plates and don't tow trailers. I guess I should assume the OP is planning on following these rules.

looks like focus is the selection. thanks

boxes are about half meter cubed boxes filled with files and documents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

chump wrote:
    looks like focus is the selection. thanks

boxes are about half meter cubed boxes filled with files and documents

Yeah, should be fine even in a saloon.
    Cyrus wrote:
    first time ive ever heard anyone say that

I suppose it is obvious ;)

Hey guys,

I've seen a car that I might be interested in buying.

Can purchase for around 4k. It's a focus. Almost 100k on it. NCT'd for another year. (1999)

Had a look at it, it's in good nick, and want to arrange for a mechanic to see it during the week.

A few questions:

1. Am I mad buying a Focus with ~ 100k on it?
    2. I don't know that much about cars and want a mechanic to check it out - I read somewhere here the these guys might be alright? I'm in Dublin area http://www.carcheckireland.com/assess.php

Obviously for 4k I don't expect a miracle but I liked the car, it drove OK (well I've only driven 3 different cars so I'm no expert), and I basically just need a car that will keep me ticking over for 2 years or so.

I'm not concerned about resale value and generally want to know if the mechanic gives it the all clear (ie. no MAJOR issues) should I go ahead with it?

Oh and garage gives a 2 month warranty for any mechanical faults (major?)

Thanks

did someone say hUUUp :D

4k sounds excessive for a soon to be 9 year old Focus.

Advertisement