Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor and blogging

• 07-10-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I just got a sony ericsson w610i and it has a feature where when u take a picture u can blog it automatically on www.blogspot.com owned my google.

Anyway I've blogged 2 times now just to see what happens and I've also downloaded some rss feeds twice to see what happens. These are basically 2min online operations or less.

I was charged:

07 Oct 07 11:50 0:0:26 GPRSWAP € 0.43
    07 Oct 07 11:53 0:0:20 GPRSWAP € 0.33
    07 Oct 07 12:10 0:1:15 GPRSWAP € 1.24
    07 Oct 07 12:11 0:1:33 GPRSWAP € 1.54
    07 Oct 07 12:27 0:1:42 GPRSWAP € 1.69

Total = 5.23Euro

That is such a rip off for a few min of data operation. I'm on GPRS WAP I think. Is there a cheaper method?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

not with meteor! it is 2cent per kilobyte but one thing in their favour is meteor phones are always up to date(latest software)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes there is.
    You can get from 15MB a month for €10 up to 10G a month for €30.
    These data addons are only available if you're bill pay.
    Text "DATA 15" to 50104 for the €10 deal.
    It's only valid from your next billing date as far as I know.
    This was definitly the case for me with the 10G addon.

You can also ring meteor and have your phone enabled for "ISP access" which
    gives you access to a cheaper data rate even on pay as you go.
    This allows you change the settings on your phone to isp.mymeteor.ie,
    and use it at €4.92 per MB downloaded, which is a lot cheaper than 2¢ per kilobyte. (2¢ x 1024 = €20.48)

If you want to use data on your mobile generally, you should really be thinking
    about a monthly bill no matter which operator you're with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

thanks Niallb - I could then blog and use the aft application for all my text messages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

And the worst thing is the figures on the meteor website are ex vat so it actually cost you 6.32.

that data add on can only be got on talk 400 and up btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

it costs me about a cent to check my email on meteor - that is if there is no emails. its 0.5 of a cent per kb

also HTTP is very inefficient these days - redundant formatting, XML and text being sent `round the place like there's no tomorrow. so a nice bit of protocol overhead also pushes up the price of posting a simple picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

bah! that cost is without VAT!

I am on Talk 400 and I'm now tied into a contract for a year :(
    I was half thinking of switching to 3...

Another thing that pisses me off is that it costs to send MMS messages to other meteor ppl while pay as u go get them for free... Do they have any respect for pay monthly ppl :)

F**k it tho, I think I will go for that data package and use the almost free text thing as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

PaYG customers don't get MMS messages for free, unless you're on a very old plan, and I'm talking 3+ years old.

and many customers are still on those "legacy tarrifs" as it would be very foolish to give up unrestricted free text and mms for life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

And the worst thing is the figures on the meteor website are ex vat so it actually cost you 6.32.

that data add on can only be got on talk 400 and up btw

I don't think that's true.
    Meteor PAYG tariffs states "All prices include VAT at 21%." at the bottom of the page I got the €4.92 figure from.

Meteor are obliged to include VAT in figures meant for private customers.
    They may omit VAT from prices on the business section of their site.

The 10G addon is the only one restricted to Talk400 or up, or so I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Vimes doesn't mean the prices, he means in the call history where the sub got his costs from. They're all done ex-Vat, and VAT is added at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote:
    Vimes doesn't mean the prices, he means in the call history where the sub got his costs from. They're all done ex-Vat, and VAT is added at the end.
    exactamundo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

niallb wrote:
    The 10G addon is the only one restricted to Talk400 or up, or so I was told.

This is true. You can also buy the data bundle for one month only (again starting at the next billing period). I'm on talk 60 and have bought the bundle for this month only to check it out. Still ridicuously overpriced. :(

The following terms and conditions form part of Meteor’s Data Add-On bundle service (“Data Add-On Bundle”/ “the Service”). Meteor’s general terms and conditions, to which you have also agreed to, and Meteor’s Acceptable Usage Policy (“AUP”) both of which are available at www.meteor.ie, combined with these terms below constitute a legally binding agreement between Meteor (“we/us”, “Meteor”) and the Customer (“you/the Customer”) for the use of the Service. All capitalised terms herein (unless otherwise defined) shall have whatever meaning is ascribed to them in the general terms and conditions.
    Data Add-On Bundles, except for the unlimited Data Add-On Bundle, are open to all new and existing Bill Pay Customers. The unlimited Data Add-On Bundle is only available to the following Tariff Plans:
    Business Edge 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 7500, 10,000;
    Talk 400, 600, 800, 1000;
    Eircom Corporate Plan;
    E-mail Data Only Plan; and
    EDGE datacard plan.
    Meteor’s Data Add-On Bundles are available from 25 April 2007 until 25 October 2007 (the “Promotion Period”) unless extended further by Meteor, at its sole discretion.

taken from meteor terms this explains about the data add-ons

Advertisement